Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I too nice for a girlfriend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    I ain't no Adonis, fair, but my girlfriend is sexy as hell. Like a lot of guys, I punch above my weight by being able to make a girl laugh and showing confidence.
    Well no guy is going to date a girl because they think she is ugly
    From what I am seeing nowadays, many guys who can make a girl laugh and show confidence results in 3 outcomes; a) get the girl, b) scares the girl away c) realises he is better than the girl and looks elsewhere. OP seems to be in b), thus he needs to realise to either do a) or c) by either changing who he talks to, or by growing a pair, realise how girls are going, and moving on.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Same, my dad was a p***k still is and he's never not got a woman on his arm.

Spent my whole life trying to be nothing like him, turns out girls aren't into that.

There loss, I don't care. When I do find a girl who likes what I have to offer her then she'll enjoy it. Try it, see what happens but if you're like me then you'll realise that is just the way you are.

I know that ass of a guy you know with all the girls is the treat 'em mean kind but hey in a few years to come they won't want them and they'll be searching for guys like us.
    I commend you for going with option c) (see above), but don't kid yourself about someone finding you. I know quite a few older people and this isn't the case or, it is more complex.
    Either the girls don't mature and get fat, or they do mature but the damage is done...in the form of someone elses kid, and who the **** wants that ?! :rofl:
    Take my advice, aim abroad.

ReputationRep:
    is there such a thing as too nice? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Having self respect is not the same as not having sex. Apologies if that isn't what you meant. This is just like guys saying they can't get a girlfriend because they are "too nice"- how many girls say "I won't go out with him, he's too nice?". In that same sense, guys don't go "well, I would go out with her, but she's just got too much self respect". Self respect usually translates into confidence, which is an attractive quality. Does anyone ever think it may be a negative quality about themself, rather than a positive quality, that is preventing them from having successful relationships?
    I realise this is the 21st Century now - I admit, I used to be of the view that sex ought to remain within Marriage only, however, having gained more Life experience I believe it acceptable to have sex with a partner who's in a long term, trusting, loving, honest relationship Having self respect goes further than simply not sleeping with every guy who wants you to lol.
    I've never said I wouldn't go out with a guy because he was 'too nice'!! I've said "I wouldn't go out with him because he's not a nice character", but being treated nicely and with respect by a guy is something I rarely experience - tbh, reckon I'd rather spend my time with such a person, as opposed to someone intent on using and abusing me
    So no, I disagree, some people may be single for negative reasons (i.e. they aren't a decent person), though some may be single for positive reasons (i.e. they'd rather spend their time focusing on a Career or their Studies and believe it would be unfair not to be there for a potential partner 24/7). Everyone's different!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~)
    I realise this is the 21st Century now - I admit, I used to be of the view that sex ought to remain within Marriage only, however, having gained more Life experience I believe it acceptable to have sex with a partner who's in a long term, trusting, loving, honest relationship Having self respect goes further than simply not sleeping with every guy who wants you to lol.
    I've never said I wouldn't go out with a guy because he was 'too nice'!! I've said "I wouldn't go out with him because he's not a nice character", but being treated nicely and with respect by a guy is something I rarely experience - tbh, reckon I'd rather spend my time with such a person, as opposed to someone intent on using and abusing me
    So no, I disagree, some people may be single for negative reasons (i.e. they aren't a decent person), though some may be single for positive reasons (i.e. they'd rather spend their time focusing on a Career or their Studies and believe it would be unfair not to be there for a potential partner 24/7). Everyone's different!!
    I'd agree that a girl who sleeps with any guy who wants her probably has low self respect, because it's fair to assume she isn't actually attracted to a lot of these guys, and feels socially compelled to act that way.

On the other hand, there is a certain self confidence I've seen from many girls who do have casual sex, in that they are willing to take the inevitable social criticism from their friends.

The point is, would you say a girl who has one night stands, because she enjoys them, has low self respect? You came across a bit judgemental. There's nothing wrong with waiting marriage if that's what makes you happy, but there's nothing wrong with having one night stands the right way either, there's no moral superiority on either side. I met my girlfriend on a one night stand, so I can be a bit defensive of them, ha.

I think people can be single for positive reasons, but it is far more likely they are single for negative reasons. I don't really see why you shouldn't be able to have a good career/studies, and a relationship. In fact, I'd say not having relationships and just concentrating on studying or working is usually not a positive thing, it's unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that a girl who sleeps with any guy who wants her probably has low self respect, because it's fair to assume she isn't actually attracted to a lot of these guys, and feels socially compelled to act that way.

On the other hand, there is a certain self confidence I've seen from many girls who do have casual sex, in that they are willing to take the inevitable social criticism from their friends.

The point is, would you say a girl who has one night stands, because she enjoys them, has low self respect? You came across a bit judgemental. There's nothing wrong with waiting marriage if that's what makes you happy, but there's nothing wrong with having one night stands the right way either, there's no moral superiority on either side. I met my girlfriend on a one night stand, so I can be a bit defensive of them, ha.

I think people can be single for positive reasons, but it is far more likely they are single for negative reasons. I don't really see why you shouldn't be able to have a good career/studies, and a relationship. In fact, I'd say not having relationships and just concentrating on studying or working is usually not a positive thing, it's unhealthy.
    Everyone's entitled to their views - just as everyone has opportunity to live their own Life as they see fit Personally I couldn't care less what people do in their spare time, I have no reason to judge them. Provided they aren't causing harm to others and are safe/ happy then good for them lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.