Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    if you are at a us uni why would you be travelling from london to boston return over xmas? i fixed your search for you

http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/bo...uary-2013.html

plus unless you are at harvard you haven't factored in getting to logan

plus you will be travelling xmas and new years eve, at uni late and early while your friends are off and the meal plan included in your financial aid doesn't apply so you will have to feed yourself (and assuming that you are allowed to stay in dorms over the holidays)

since it seems so importantant to you i'll happily agree that it may be technically possible for you to make a us uni stack up financially vs a uk one. but if you want anything approaching a 'normal' us college experience you are going to have to spend a lot more than you budgeted on soft expenses like social life, clothes, travel etc.

edit - which is why when i was at brown the financial aid kids usually did more than the minimum hours of work - so they had some spending money too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BO'H)
    if you are at a us uni why would you be travelling from london to boston return over xmas? i fixed your search for you

http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/bo...uary-2013.html

plus unless you are at harvard you haven't factored in getting to logan

plus you will be travelling xmas and new years eve, at uni late and early while your friends are off and the meal plan included in your financial aid doesn't apply so you will have to feed yourself (and assuming that you are allowed to stay in dorms over the holidays)

since it seems so importantant to you i'll happily agree that it may be technically possible for you to make a us uni stack up financially vs a uk one. but if you want anything approaching a 'normal' us college experience you are going to have to spend a lot more than you budgeted on soft expenses like social life, clothes, travel etc.

edit - which is why when i was at brown the financial aid kids usually did more than the minimum hours of work - so they had some spending money too.
    Just got those flights as an example - the outward flight would actually be in September and the return flight in December. Either way the flights are 400-500 pounds return. I don't plan to stay in dorms over holidays, but I've found that a wholesale kilo bag of couscous does me quite nicely for a few weeks...

I know it's complicated, I know it's hard, I know if might ultimately be more expensive. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Maybe you don't think it's worth it, but I do.

ReputationRep:
    None of the eight Ivy League colleges are known for being party schools though they all have a defined social scene which includes some decent parties. Fraternities and sororities are usually your best bet for finding parties and seven Ivy League schools offer them, Princeton has had them banned since the mid 1800s.

Ivy League Social Offerings:

Harvard - Final Clubs and Greek
    Yale - Secret Societies and Greek
    Princeton - Eating Clubs
    Pennsylvania - Greek
    Columbia - Greek
    Brown - Greek
    Dartmouth - Greek
    Cornell - Cow-tipping and Greek

...I mean fraternities and sororities by Greek... and cow-tipping at Cornhell isn't that big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    THANK YOU! I feel like all I ever read is "oh well there was this girl X, she got 800 on all her SATs and 7A*s at A Level and she was an olympic gymnast and she was in the london symphony orchestra and she speaks 12 languages and SHE DIDN'T GET IN so no one can!!"

It's like the Daily Mail articles that come out like clockwork every August... 'boy with 4A*s doesn't get a place at cambridge for Medicine, everyone is horrified"

maybe, just MAYBE, it's not all about letters and numbers? the fact is these people must have had some seriously bad essays/ interviews/ personality traits that made them seem uninteresting or artificial to the admissions people. I visited Yale last summer, and everyone I met was exceptionally normal. compared to the people you see on college confidential.... (a US version of the student room in which everyone is imsoacademic)
    I know what you mean!! Each of these people were normal, state school kids... yes, they had amazing grades and worked really hard, but they're normal

College Confidential is a nightmare!! I've been on it a few times, and it's horrendously addictive, but it does make you doubt everything...

The main thing I've heard about UK students going to the US is that they have all the right numbers but they don't put it across in the right way with their essays/interviews... they're too 'British' about it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    Just got those flights as an example - the outward flight would actually be in September and the return flight in December. Either way the flights are 400-500 pounds return. I don't plan to stay in dorms over holidays, but I've found that a wholesale kilo bag of couscous does me quite nicely for a few weeks...

I know it's complicated, I know it's hard, I know if might ultimately be more expensive. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Maybe you don't think it's worth it, but I do.
    I agree that it's worth it for me...
    Honestly, this is a totally personal choice... some people think I'm insane for doing this, but I know for me I'll be willing to work longer hours to make up some spare cash... If I'm really strapped for cash, I'll just come back to the UK for a 'study abroad year' so I can get a job / save up for the following year...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BO'H;40961674 fraternities would be banned if uni admin had anything to do with it [/QUOTE]

And you expect everyone to believe that all fraternities are frowned upon by administrators because you think they are?

for the record, I don't believe you have a masters degree because if you still hang around on TSR then you must have way too much free time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)

The majority of students pay $20,000 or less per year, equivalent to £14,000. That is less than I would pay to live and study in London per year (9000 tuition + 8000 living costs)
    that's true but only because the majority of students go to a University in their home state; If i stayed in Georgia my average tuition would be $18,000 but for students from a different state that figure is double, that's right, someone from a Neighbour state would have to pay $36,000 per year just for tuition.... and overseas students? forget about it unless you have a sport's scholarship lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't think most people commenting on the drinking age being 21 have spent much time in the US. I go to one of HYPSM and spend a good bit of time with friends at two others. My mother went to a lower ranked Ivy, and my sister to another top 10 school. Even here, drink is readily available. And it does indeed go in red cups . Most seniors and many juniors in the US are over 21, so there's always someone who can buy alcohol. I mean, there are certainly friend groups that are all younger and aren't close enough to anyone to buy them alcohol, meaning they can only drink at parties, but it's clear even to freshmen who they should befriend if they have an interest in partying. It's just that at schools like HYPSM etc., there's more of a working culture than a drinking culture.

There are strict universities to be sure, where student's rooms are checked to ensure they never have alcohol, so you should look up the partying culture surrounding the school you're heading into. But there are also crazy party universities (usually the huge state schools) that offset the strict ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.