Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

80k a year chaffuer for MP... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yes, so am I. Am I sick to death of the general public happily cheerleading our awful, feckless media in these utterly degrading stories. I'm sick of people merrily reading their garbage and swallowing the impression - and none of the details - whole. I'm sick of them listening to booze-soaked, bitter "columnists" when they give their opinions in cheap newsprint, yet paying no heed to independent reports, Ministers of the Crown or respected government officials.

In virtually every government on earth, Ministers travel by government cars. It's not even a luxurious car - it's a bloody Toyota Avensis: you'd be hard pressed to find a more run-of-the-mill saloon if you tried. The reasons given are perfectly proper and the costs are clearly misrepresented in the articles there.

If you're sick of reading these things, I suggest you write to the newspapers and ask them to stop printing such facile rubbish.
    Is the irony that the trains are not apparently fit for purpose for him to use, when he runs that department, totally lost on you? Fair enough if he were moving around on government business, but him getting to and from work is the bare minimum that is required. Indeed it is required of literally every worker there is.

I am not one of these people who expects MPs to live on bread and water, I just think this is a step too far. This costs more than a taxi.

ReputationRep:
    It's only because he can't afford the rail prices anymore

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see what the fuss is about. It's a car service by the government which will probably be used to chauffeur many people around. I highly doubt it's an £80k personal service for this MP. They probably do many trips. £80k is a rather tidy salary though...

Would you really want classified information just travelling freely on the trains and underground? Firing that driver would just mean another person out of a job, and the train prices wouldn't be prevented from increasing.

Cutbacks do need to be made, but only sensible ones. I think it's sensible that someone is driving these people around so that they can work for you whilst in the car on their commute to and from work. He probably works plenty more hours than you lot do, and he's able to work whilst commuting. Would you really want to do his job?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing surprising, he probably also has a 1k an hour rentboy just to fit the stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    Truly astounding.

He is the rail fares minister but doesn't get the train to work.

Incredible.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.