Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have bad anxiety about going away from home (I haven't been away without my family for more than one night in more than six years, and even one night is a struggle) which is bad because I'm meant to be going to university in September (I've just turned seventeen ), if anyone has any advice or anything, can you please reply to this thread or message me on here??

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear you're anxious about it, I remember being quite nervous when I moved into halls. If it helps, almost everyone will be in the same position - away from their families and not knowing anybody else - so should be open to making new friends and sticking together are you moving far away from home? My uni is about an hour and half's drive away from home so fairly easy for me to be picked up/get a train home for the weekend if I'm feeling homesick

ReputationRep:
    I also get really bad anxiety - not from being away from home in particular, but just being in alone in an unfamiliar place. I'd say the thing that really helps me is keeping in contact with friends at home (or family). Although you might not feel up to talking to new people if you're feeling anxious, I find it really helps me - even if you don't end up becoming friends, just having people that are familar to you/someone you can say hi to on the street can make you feel much more comfortable in a new place.

Maybe take something from home that comforts you, such as a small toy from your childhood. I find the perfume of people I'm missing really helps me - maybe you could take a small perfume that your mum uses, or something that smells of home?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.