Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Studying in Spain without speaking any Spanish - Am I nuts? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm interested in studying at the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics, the course and school have a very good name for economics.

The school teaches in English only.

I see the students are mostly non-Spaniards (about 85%). This was encouraging and first, then I realised most coming from south and north America will probably speak Spanish, as well as other Europeans.

How hard would I find life in Barcelona only speaking English at first (assuming all my coursemates spoke english too)?

Obviously once there I would immediately try and learn as much Spanish as I can. I've been living in Germany for the last 6 months and have gone from speaking zero german to being able to at least live my day to day life comfortably, make myself understood and understand a decent amount of what is said to me. I've taken classes and practice in my spare time - I am trying to make the effort.

My second concern would be whether trying to learn Spanish would distract me from my studies, which I imagine will be quite hard after 2 years working since graduation.

Any and all advice, anecdotes and opinions welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Barcelona for a year without speaking Catalan or Spanish and I got along fine. I would advise trying to learn a few words, but you'll stiull have a great time, it's an amazing city.

You'll have a very hard time finding a job without any Spanish however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanafterall)
    I lived in Barcelona for a year without speaking Catalan or Spanish and I got along fine. I would advise trying to learn a few words, but you'll stiull have a great time, it's an amazing city.

You'll have a very hard time finding a job without any Spanish however.
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

So what were you doing there? Work/studying/travels etc?

I'm not looking for a job, just to study.

I'm quite interested in where are good places to live if I am at Pompeu Fabra and what the typical rents are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.