Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think it's sad to go to the cinema alone? watch

• View Poll Results: Is it sad to go to the cinema alone?
    Yes it's sad
    14.72%
    No it's not
    85.28%

ReputationRep:
    I usually go alone. My 'friends' at college make lots of excuses when i ask to do anything
    It wouldn't help my mood if i sat moping around, so i just put on my best IDGAF face and go to the cinema alone.

ReputationRep:
    The generalisation of taking your boyfriend/girlfriend or friends is something which a lot of people only deem acceptable. If I had an unlimited viewing card I'd be sure to be there watching the new movies even if my friends didn't want to come. I'm not there to talk, I'm there to watch a movie. I could always bring my friend Ken-Li he's always willing to come with me because he records the movies and sells them. Ahhh gotta love my mate Ken-Li.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Its not sad at all. You do not talk in the cinema, you are silent.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with going alone. Sometimes your friends may not want to see something you'd like to see but as others have pointed out, the actual viewing of the film is not a social activity.

ReputationRep:
    I've never really understood why there's such a social stigma about going alone. In the past I almost always went alone aside from the times when my dad and I went together, we have similar taste in film and it makes a great father/son day out. I used to go alone because I was used to it and enjoyed it, and apart from this had different tastes to some of my friends.

Like others have said, I'm there to sit and enjoy a film. It's nice every now and then to go with people but I never feel any sort of loss should I be there alone, if anything I enjoy the film more knowing I can invest 100% of my attention on it. To me it just sounds silly that going alone should make you feel embarrassed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedarklord12)
    I mostly go to the cinema alone. Most of my friends aren't cinephiles and only go for the big summer blockbusters. I have felt weird though especially when the cinema is packed with people. I feel a lot more comfortable when there aren't many other people in the auditorium but that's just me I suppose.
    I went to see both Breaking Dawn's of Twilight by myself in a packed cinema, including our town premiere, and I thoroughly enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I see someone in the cinema alone, I always wonder why and if there's a backstory to it.

I went to the cinema yesterday as it goes with my boyfriend and there was just there two of us in the cinema at this point. Then just one woman walked alone and out of all the seats decided to push past us and sit next to us. She fidgeted and rustled the whole way through the film. How bizarre?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's really nothing wrong with it, especially if you're there for the movie-going experience. I think I actually enjoy myself more when I go alone as I get totally immersed in watching the film. Similarly, I prefer watching movies/TV shows alone at home as I can just get lost in the story without worrying about my surroundings.

Secret fact of shame: I even went to a 12-hour Twilight movie marathon alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    There's really nothing wrong with it, especially if you're there for the movie-going experience. I think I actually enjoy myself more when I go alone as I get totally immersed in watching the film. Similarly, I prefer watching movies/TV shows alone at home as I can just get lost in the story without worrying about my surroundings.

Secret fact of shame: I even went to a 12-hour Twilight movie marathon alone
    not so secret now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    How on earth is this sad? it's sadder to stay in and not get to see a film you want to see cause none of your friends want to go with you and you don't want to be seen out on your own ffs
    Epic reply!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Done it over 40 times in 2012 :P

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd feel very awkward and self-conscious going to the cinema by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Never tried going alone, doesn't really appeal :P I know its watching a movie and all but the laughs and atmosphere with friends makes it better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've never been but always wondered because my mates never want to go but I do! So if anyone's around in Leicester wanting to see life of pie 3D and is on orange I will happily join up with you to get half price

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to the cinema alone because I feel people would judge me,even though I know such a thing would never really happen. I almost went to see the hobbit earlier this week but kinda chickened out,that and I got sick.

But I'd like to go to the cinema alone for a bit of enjoyable me time. I have friends (like most people who go alone I'm sure) but sometimes you can't agree on movie choices or free time doesn't match that of your friends.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit strange since you won't have anyone to talk about it with, but then again, that's what internet forums are for.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a big deal. I don't pay £7 to go to the cinema and marvel at the fact that someone is sitting alone. I've not tried it but if no one wanted to see a film that I wanted to see, I'd go alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qxz)
    I often go to the cinema alone mainly because I have a cineworld unlimited card and I want to see films my friends don't really. People have said to me that this is really sad and they would feel self conscious about it. But I don't get what the big deal is. I'm there to watch a film, I don't see why anyone in the cinema should care about that.

I don't know why, but this bit made me crack up. Don't know why.

Apart from that, you shouldn't worry too much, who cares what the other people think.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing said at all about it. I would be doing it a lot if I didn't have a friend who will genuinely watch anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's not sad, but friends are desirable!
    I watch a hell of a lot of animated films, and it can be hard to get people my age to come with me to watch "a kids cartoon". In the last few months, I got friends to go and see Rise of the Guardians and Monsters, Inc. 3D with, but I had to go and see Frankenweenie on my own :unimpressed:.
    Theres a group of us going to see Wreck-It Ralph, though.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.