Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think it's sad to go to the cinema alone? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is it sad to go to the cinema alone?
    Yes it's sad
    14.72%
    No it's not
    85.28%

ReputationRep:
    There should totally be a subforum on TSR called "Cinebuddies" where you write a thread with the film you want to go see and people can reply to your thread and arrange big TSR film outings :cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I've been alone twice before and I found it quite enjoyable tbh, plus both times I went I noticed a lot of people alone anyway. I don't think it's much to feel self-conscious about, watching a film doesn't require someone else to be with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sol1dShot)
    Hmmm. Where to sit i wonder.. :holmes:
    Haha! I just sat at the back hoping that more people would come but no one came

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    There is some truth to it though, generally people like to talk about what film they've seen (same goes for TV shows and books). I suppose it's up to the internet generation to put it right.

Yeah, but just as with books having a conversation mid-film is just foolish, so it really doesn't matter if you're alone or with people at the cinema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Yeah, but just as with books having a conversation mid-film is just foolish, so it really doesn't matter if you're alone or with people at the cinema.
    If you're going to discuss a film with someone, it would make sense to see the film at the same time with them. You could watch the film separately then wait to meet up like some sort of book club, but I think books and films are different in the sense that reading a book is something you do in your own time, whereas you have to go out on a schedule to see a film so might as well pick a time and place that suits your friends too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    If you're going to discuss a film with someone, it would make sense to see the film at the same time with them.
    Not necessarily. I don't live anywhere near my family and old school friends during term time, but it doesn't stop me discussing films with them - my sister rang me after we both went to see Les Mis in different cities tonight. I went on my own, but discussed it with her.

I don't see the difference in going to the cinema with people or alone - either way you're not talking to anyone while the movie's showing, so if other people don't want to go to the same movie I do or we can't find a time everyone's free, I have no problem going on my own.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.