Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'll need a job someday but I'm good for nothing. Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi,

well im 20 and i wont be able to rely on my parents forever but i honestly dont see what i can do apart from living off the state I'm not good at anything, I have no interests. I've had to quit uni in my third year as i was finding it too hard so i have no qualifications.
    ive been thinking of moving to spain to be with my mum but it's too much to think about and i can only live with her on the condition that im in work or studying. but theres nothing im good for and im sick of education. and my spanish isnt as good as it used to be, ive got poor cognitive skills so ive lost most of it. and there are no jobs there either.

ReputationRep:
    There's not a lot of skills needed to work in a factory, clean, etc. And if you end up in something like retail, who knows, you may become useful at something and get promoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donald Duck)
    There's not a lot of skills needed to work in a factory, clean, etc. And if you end up in something like retail, who knows, you may become useful at something and get promoted.
    promoted? no. i just need something to get out of my parents' hair really.
    even cleaning jobs require previous experience these days.

ReputationRep:
    Don't move to Spain. The education system is horrible, and the way the Spanish economy is going, I doubt there'll be that many jobs available (although it depends on the area).

Is there any way you can go back to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cephalus)
    Don't move to Spain. The education system is horrible, and the way the Spanish economy is going, I doubt there'll be that manny jobs available (although it depends on the area).

Is there any way you can go back to university?
    no, it's too hard for me.

i wouldnt be in the education system there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd try Dubai. They like Native English speakers, and 'Westerners'. They're not too big on qualifications, either. I bet you could get a job there as a teacher. Alternatively, you could do a TEFL which only lasts a few months. You speak English fluently, and you basically take that asset and get a qualification for it, and make good money in countries all over the world, including Dubai, where you could get paid approx. 20 pounds/ hour to teach ( I was told by a South African lady who told me to do it, but it's not my thing). Plus, Tax does not exist in Dubai, as foreign as that concept may seem, and you will get other benefits as well. Though I don't know how open you're to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss G)
    I'd try Dubai. They like Native English speakers, and 'Westerners'. They're not too big on qualifications, either. I bet you could get a job there as a teacher. Alternatively, you could do a TEFL which only lasts a few months. You speak English fluently, and you basically take that asset and get a qualification for it, and make good money in countries all over the world, including Dubai, where you could get paid approx. 20 pounds/ hour to teach ( I was told by a South African lady who told me to do it, but it's not my thing). Plus, Tax does not exist in Dubai, as foreign as that concept may seem, and you will get other benefits as well. Though I don't know how open you're to change.
    the last thing id want to do is move to a third world country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    hi,

well im 20 and i wont be able to rely on my parents forever but i honestly dont see what i can do apart from living off the state I'm not good at anything, I have no interests. I've had to quit uni in my third year as i was finding it too hard so i have no qualifications.
    ive been thinking of moving to spain to be with my mum but it's too much to think about and i can only live with her on the condition that im in work or studying. but theres nothing im good for and im sick of education. and my spanish isnt as good as it used to be, ive got poor cognitive skills so ive lost most of it. and there are no jobs there either.
    In order to get into University, you must have GCSE'S/A-Levels. There's a start!

It sounds like you've lost the flavour for life and some of the confidence that comes with it. First off, think positive. Your not going to get out of your current position without a bit of self determination and self-belief. Nobody else can do this for you, but yourself.

Secondly, employers will take the general jist that your intelligent. Think about it? You did two years of a three year degree, which not everyone has the savvy before. Even more so, not everyone in this country has decent A-Levels or GCSE's to their name, even more so high enough to get into University either.

You need a goal. Think of something you could enjoy and pursue it as a career.
    I.e. Sport? Communication? How about a sports agent?

Evaluate your life. Think of things you can change. Get your self looking pristine. Think of life positively and strive for something. With enough tenacity and zeal, the world is yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debdener)
    In order to get into University, you must have GCSE'S/A-Levels. There's a start!

It sounds like you've lost the flavour for life and some of the confidence that comes with it. First off, think positive. Your not going to get out of your current position without a bit of self determination and self-belief. Nobody else can do this for you, but yourself.

Secondly, employers will take the general jist that your intelligent. Think about it? You did two years of a three year degree, which not everyone has the savvy before. Even more so, not everyone in this country has decent A-Levels or GCSE's to their name, even more so high enough to get into University either.

You need a goal. Think of something you could enjoy and pursue it as a career.
    I.e. Sport? Communication? How about a sports agent?

Evaluate your life. Think of things you can change. Get your self looking pristine. Think of life positively and strive for something. With enough tenacity and zeal, the world is yours.
    your years at university dont count unless you officially hold a degree. it's like leaving school without qualifications.
    my a levels were not that great. i was in spain before so i dont have gcses.

ReputationRep:
    your years at university dont count unless you officially hold a degree. it's like leaving school without qualifications.
    my a levels were not that great. i was in spain before so i dont have gcses.
    I realise that. But the fact that you went to University counts for something.
    Secondly, you have a bit of experience in the field you were studying, so some employers may find that of particular interest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because they can afford to spend £800,000,000 just for a motor racing circuit in third world countries :rolleyes:

I see the point of your post now. Your geography skills at least are sorely lacking.

But, to avoid being negged, something that's actually helpful/useful; standards at supermarkets are much lower than you might think. I have absolutely zero people skills which I thought would end my chances, but there was no such issue, and also, the questions they ask in the DVD test are so piss easy (especially the mathematical ones) that I don't know how it's possible to fail them.

ReputationRep:
    I realise that. But the fact that you went to University counts for something.
    Secondly, you have a bit of experience in the field you were studying, so some employers may find that of particular interest.
    how do you know i have experience in the field i was studying? i don't.

the only thing employers would think is that i'm a lazy drop out. it counts for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Are you good socially, there are many jobs where being good with people is key. And this has nothing to do with academic ability.

ReputationRep:
    how do you know i have experience in the field i was studying? i don't.

the only thing employers would think is that i'm a lazy drop out. it counts for nothing.
    No, you've misinterpreted. By doing a degree at University, you must know some stuff of the course. Therefore, you know something of the subject which could prove useful to an employer.

Just because you dropped out of University, does not mean your lazy, especially to an employer.
    The chances of working for a large corporate, may be slim. But then again it depends on the industry.

Retail assistant positions, would probably snap you up (i.e. Next).
    Small independent Estate Agents may as well. It depends entirely on the industry you want to try for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Are you good socially, there are many jobs where being good with people is key. And this has nothing to do with academic ability.
    no.

ReputationRep:
    But you have to be good at something! I think you still have so many options to consider (including the ones mentioned above):

1)Air host/ flight attendant : they do require GCSEs (maybe you can start there. there's no shame in doing your GCSEs at 20) And a special training. It's pretty easy to get through. All you need is the height/ decency/ etc...

OR...

Maybe you should just join the circus!

ReputationRep:
    No, you've misinterpreted. By doing a degree at University, you must know some stuff of the course. Therefore, you know something of the subject which could prove useful to an employer.

Just because you dropped out of University, does not mean your lazy, especially to an employer.
    The chances of working for a large corporate, may be slim. But then again it depends on the industry.

Retail assistant positions, would probably snap you up (i.e. Next).
    Small independent Estate Agents may as well. It depends entirely on the industry you want to try for.
    honestly of the two years i spent there i dont think i learnt anything, and what i did i cant remember.
    i applied for next but was rejected.

ReputationRep:
    no.
    You could always try to get a job in retail, or even at MacDs you could start on the floor if you are good you could potentially be promoted to floor manager, I guess depends if one needs a degree for that.

Do you like driving? Could be a bus/cab driver?

You have no interests at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madaboutmambo)
    But you have to be good at something! I think you still have so many options to consider (including the ones mentioned above):

1)Air host/ flight attendant : they do require GCSEs (maybe you can start there. there's no shame in doing your GCSEs at 20) And a special training. It's pretty easy to get through. All you need is the height/ decency/ etc...

OR...

Maybe you should just join the circus!
    im scared of flying so i think that would be a major drawback lol.

and i havent got height, im pretty small and unattractive. and those women look like models, their skin is impeccable.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I said Dubai. Do you know where Dubai is? Do you know what Dubai is? It's much richer than any European country, it's extremely luxurious, and life there is extremely easy. There are tons of Westerners there, and life there is just laid back. I mean, how ignorant do you have to be to think that Dubai is a third world country? Have you never expanded your horizons past the UK?

You say you want a job, and you don't want to be with your parents, but you're not open to any suggestions- not further qualifications, not a move to a more prosperous place that you could easily find employment in, not jobs you may be qualified for. Really, none of these people can offer you a magic solution to your problems. You will actually have to put effort in if you want to succeed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.