Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'll need a job someday but I'm good for nothing. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    If I really needed a job but had a gajillion reasons not to do any of the other things in this thread, then I'd settle for window-cleaning.

But then, I'm open to trying things and working for stuff...

You can't just expect to waltz straight into a high-paid desk job. Just write a CV, print off a bunch of copies, and hand it in to every single shop within travelling distance of your home. All you pay for is the printing, and there's a decent chance one of them will call you back. You have nothing to lose, and nothing ventured = nothing gained.

Or do something on your own, like cleaning houses or windows, because then your job is guaranteed, and it's something there's always demand for.

Or, since you don't like the idea of manual labour... If you're the creative type, you could try writing a column for the local newspaper or something - small local papers are often looking for new things to fill space. You don't have to get your hands dirty to do that, and there's a lot of potential to go further, although it's a lot more difficult to get the job in the first place.
    i don't expect ever to have a high paid desk job.

if i thought i was creative i wouldn't have started this thread.

honestly I have nothing but respect for people who'd rather work their butts off doing manual labour for a pittance than go on the dole, but it's just not me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    hi,

well im 20 and i wont be able to rely on my parents forever but i honestly dont see what i can do apart from living off the state I'm not good at anything, I have no interests. I've had to quit uni in my third year as i was finding it too hard so i have no qualifications.
    ive been thinking of moving to spain to be with my mum but it's too much to think about and i can only live with her on the condition that im in work or studying. but theres nothing im good for and im sick of education. and my spanish isnt as good as it used to be, ive got poor cognitive skills so ive lost most of it. and there are no jobs there either.
    Mr Happy......right?

Well if you want an easy life you have to WORK for it.I have met lots of people who hate their job but without it they would be like you.All depressed and full of negativity! First and foremost,YOU need to sort your attitude out because this will get you nowhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolgirl19)
    Mr Happy......right?

Well if you want an easy life you have to WORK for it.I have met lots of people who hate their job but without it they would be like you.All depressed and full of negativity! First and foremost,YOU need to sort your attitude out because this will get you nowhere
    how sad to have a job that they hate.

nothing but wage slaves in this world. sell your soul so you can eat, that's the crux of modern life.

gotta love capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Why don't you try make money blogging? Not the ones everyone does with the personal stories etc etc.. but I mean blogging about a subject that you have some knowledge about. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, just do things the way you want. There are so many online opportunities that will eventually lead to offline prospects like book deals and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Why don't you try make money blogging? Not the ones everyone does with the personal stories etc etc.. but I mean blogging about a subject that you have some knowledge about. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, just do things the way you want. There are so many online opportunities that will eventually lead to offline prospects like book deals and interviews.

thanks but there's no subject I'm particularly knowledgeable about.

ReputationRep:

nothing but wage slaves in this world. sell your soul so you can eat, that's the crux of modern life.

gotta love capitalism.
    Hate is a strong word.......dislike then only because of ignorant people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolgirl19)
    Hate is a strong word.......dislike then only because of ignorant people
    well you're the one who said they "hate" their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are plenty of jobs cleaning toilets etc. Perhaps you could do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss G)
    Dubai is becoming more and more Westernized every year. It was voted one of the best shopping destinations, it offers everything you could ask for and more, I've found. Amazing concerts, amazing clubs, luxurious life, and everyone is respected. At Christmas, Dubai has the most amazing Christmas decorations everywhere, and Christmas promotions and celebrations, this is the same for major celebrations in other religions such as Diwali. I feel like it's a very accepting place and very tolerant.
    Except the immigrant labour from the Indian subcontinent that actually built the place. [1] [2] Money, and everyone with it, is respected: I suppose that is Westernisation. And I suspect that globalisation will only produce more of these sorts of city-state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faber niger)
    Except the immigrant labour from the Indian subcontinent that actually built the place. Money, and everyone with it, is respected: I suppose that is Westernisation. An awful place.
    Have you ever been there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss G)
    Have you ever been there?
    No, but my aunt goes there a lot.

I'm sure that many of the hotels and amenities are very nice, I personally just wouldn't feel comfortable living in such luxury amongst such poverty, albeit not necessarily visible poverty. I'm not one for skyscrapers and shopping anyway though. But I'm not completely sanctimonious, I don't have anything against anyone else who visits, so long as they don't just spend all of their time in the bubble. It's not like there isn't suffering here either, or that we don't rely on the labour of desperately poor people just as much (it's just even more hidden in this case, since the desperately poor people in question generally aren't in our country).

ReputationRep:
    No, but my aunt goes there a lot.

I'm sure that many of the hotels and amenities are very nice, I personally just wouldn't feel comfortable living in such luxury amongst such poverty, albeit not necessarily visible poverty. I'm not one for skyscrapers and shopping anyway though. But I'm not completely sanctimonious, I don't have anything against anyone else who visits, so long as they don't just spend all of their time in the bubble. It's not like there isn't suffering here either, or that we don't rely on the labour of desperately poor people just as much (it's just even more hidden in this case, since the desperately poor people in question are overseas).
    does it look something like this?

Name:  pic27.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  94.2 KB

you can guess where the rich people live.

ReputationRep:
    does it look something like this?

Name:  pic27.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  94.2 KB

you can guess where the rich people live.
    I don't think it's quite like Sao Paulo, no. But as I say, I haven't been, so I wouldn't exactly know. There are certainly slums, but I don't think they're quite so conspicuous as the favelas in that photo.

ReputationRep:
    Why not take up professional dog-walking?

ReputationRep:

gotta love capitalism.
    There's no alternative, darlin'.

Unless you want no freedom. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Why not take up professional dog-walking?
    ...as opposed to non professional dog walking??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    There's no alternative, darlin'.

Unless you want no freedom. :holmes:
    that's not what I call freedom.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's quite like Sao Paulo, no. But as I say, I haven't been, so I wouldn't exactly know. There are certainly slums, but I don't think they're quite so conspicuous as the favelas in that photo.
    funny that that picture came up when I googled "Dubai".

ReputationRep:
    that's not what I call freedom.
    You're not forced to get a job. You can live a solitary life. Just don't ask the government for money.

ReputationRep:
    ...as opposed to non professional dog walking??
    Good one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.