Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'll need a job someday but I'm good for nothing. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    that first picture looks terrifying and an awfully long hike. I wouldnt go there.

There are downsides to technological advances.
    Its actually a 5 min flat walk from the campsite (which is accessable by car, or is a 10-15 min walk from the nearest village with a bus stop) following the river/stream. I used to go there with my grandma... You don't have to climb up it, though I enjoy it. Most people just go there, have a picnic and take the path arround.

Yes there are downsides to technological advances...

You seem to look at the downsides of everything and blank out anything positive. Seriously, have you considered that you are suffering from depression? I suggest you talk to your GP - I'm being serious, thats the best advice I can give you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shenin...)
    It seems like you don't even want a job as you're putting down every suggestion about skills you may possess/develop.

Your sole goal seems to be to 'get out your parents hair' in which case you can just move out, get job seekers allowance and housing benefits.

Though don't be surprised if people view you negatively due to your reluctance to even try to get a job or gain skills.
    That's the kind of person who shouldn't be getting benefits, not wanting to work does not constitute not having to! If you get to live in the first world, as opposed to Dubai, the "3rd world" (according to you at least), you should at least make an effort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewythepikachu)
    That's the kind of person who shouldn't be getting benefits, not wanting to work does not constitute not having to! If you get to live in the first world, as opposed to Dubai, the "3rd world" (according to you at least), you should at least make an effort
    Which is my point exactly, but her sole goal is to stop her parents being annoyed.
    She'd still have to prove she's looking for a job on job seekers allowance.

I've not mentioned Dubai in a single post.

Dubai a third world country?! Someone who is blissfully unaware or simply ignorant of the Middle East's wealth.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why you continue to ask for advice here when every single time all you do is reject every piece of advice you get. Are you just doing it out of boredom now or something? I would advise you to get out there and make the effort to make something of yourself but no doubt you'll just reject this too.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

well im 20 and i wont be able to rely on my parents forever but i honestly dont see what i can do apart from living off the state I'm not good at anything, I have no interests. I've had to quit uni in my third year as i was finding it too hard so i have no qualifications.
    ive been thinking of moving to spain to be with my mum but it's too much to think about and i can only live with her on the condition that im in work or studying. but theres nothing im good for and im sick of education. and my spanish isnt as good as it used to be, ive got poor cognitive skills so ive lost most of it. and there are no jobs there either.
    Work in a coffee shop? Believe it or not there is more jobs than simply career professional or McDonalds puke.

A lot of people don't know what to do with their lives career wise, so they do the next best thing, they just try things out.

Perhaps join a recruitment agency, you'll maybe get a fair few temporary contracts but that's perfect to sample things.

Volunteer somewhere, just really think outside the box.

Why not go to Spain? Yeah there are obstacles but if you're not too sure about the job at least you can try a change of scenery, which might help getting the what-you-like-to-do juices flowing.

There's too much pressure in modern Britain to reach education and career heights, and so it's no surprise when young people feel a bit lost when they aren't suited to academia or so specifically driven that they have their whole career and life plan written out.

Many universities in non-English speaking countries oddly enough do a lot of instruction in English.

Maybe moving to Spain with your mum, and attending a Spanish university might help?

You have a strength and power, which is you have the freedom to try whatever you want because unlike a medical, law or other heavy-investment degree student, you have freedom to go and do quite a lot of things at a relative whim.

You can even see about transferring credits from you previous degree course, believe it or not, it's not all degree-or-nothing, you have CAS marks, so maybe even consider reapplying to a different uni or different course or both.

Best of luck OP.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

well im 20 and i wont be able to rely on my parents forever but i honestly dont see what i can do apart from living off the state I'm not good at anything, I have no interests. I've had to quit uni in my third year as i was finding it too hard so i have no qualifications.
    ive been thinking of moving to spain to be with my mum but it's too much to think about and i can only live with her on the condition that im in work or studying. but theres nothing im good for and im sick of education. and my spanish isnt as good as it used to be, ive got poor cognitive skills so ive lost most of it. and there are no jobs there either.
    you can always do distance learning with some uni's and the OU for example but i think you have to be a resident in the UK for that. How long ago did you quit uni? unless you're failing there's no reason to quit on an impulse. You made it into uni in the first place so you must relatively good at something! You can always go back to uni at any point in your life these days.

I'm guessing your parents have separated or are divorced and that might have something to do with your low self esteem. The only way to get it back up is to keep going and not give up. If you decide uni isn't for you you can always look into doing something like TEFL or TESOL. If you give up you won't get anywhere, don't make it sounds like your life is over. I know this sounds harsh but it worked for me remind yourself how lucky you are to have family, a roof over your head, food on the table, the opportunity to go to university, the opportunity to go on benefits. In the larger context of the big wide world you have nothing to complain about that alone should be incentive enough to get out there and do something about your situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CupiditasMetam)
    Try and finish your last year if thats a possibility, there is only 1 more year left and you have a degree.
    If not, go to Russia, everyone seems to be going there these days, teach English there or something, or you can try somewhere in Asia.
    As for finding a job in Europe, it isn't an easier task than it would be here in UK
    third year requires writing a dissertation which im intellectually incapable of doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victorialou23)
    you can always do distance learning with some uni's and the OU for example but i think you have to be a resident in the UK for that. How long ago did you quit uni? unless you're failing there's no reason to quit on an impulse. You made it into uni in the first place so you must relatively good at something! You can always go back to uni at any point in your life these days.

I'm guessing your parents have separated or are divorced and that might have something to do with your low self esteem. The only way to get it back up is to keep going and not give up. If you decide uni isn't for you you can always look into doing something like TEFL or TESOL. If you give up you won't get anywhere, don't make it sounds like your life is over. I know this sounds harsh but it worked for me remind yourself how lucky you are to have family, a roof over your head, food on the table, the opportunity to go to university, the opportunity to go on benefits. In the larger context of the big wide world you have nothing to complain about that alone should be incentive enough to get out there and do something about your situation.
    :yawn: i'm not being rude but do you know how many times i've heard this? my parents divorced when i was 5. i have no memories of what it was like when they were together. therefore, it makes no difference to me.

"think how lucky you are"- that doesn't help in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

I see that you're a girl

AND

you're not intelligent, you have no skills, no qualifications, no social aptitude, not attractive enough to even consider being a flight attendant, no self esteem, no working relationship with your parents.

-----

Most people would say you're ****ed and in deep ****.

I say, OPTION 1: become a prostitute. The oldest profession in the world. It's so easy that any women who's not had a double masectomy can do it. Try advertising yourself on Adultworks, if you're really ugly, just lower your price according to the laws of supply and demand, or move into a niche market like Adult Babies.

OPTION 2: Get pregnant repeatedly with children. Claim child benefit, housing benefit, council tax benefit, extra money to help with food, JSA or other employment benefit. The more children you have, the bigger house you can live in and the economies of scale will work in your favour to lower the costs of production (your sprogs) to increase your profit margins (what's left in your bank account after)

-----

Please tell me if you'd like any more great suggestions from moi.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read of this thread (the first two pages), it seems like you just want us to say "You're good for nothing" to give you some crazy kind of reassurance that you can spend the rest of your life doing nothing. For what it's worth I think you do have talents, even if you don't know what they are. But your attitude is what is bringing you down, I mean why make a thread like this if you aren't even going to bother taking people's ideas into account! A pessimistic and defeatist outlook won't get you anywhere, you can get a job, but it won't just fall out of the sky into your lap! You don't think you are qualified enough? Get qualifications! You have no experience? Get some, volunteer! You've already mentioned you speak Spanish (although not as well as you used to), brush up on that and you have a fantastic quality that many companies are looking for in a candidate-being bilingual. You could even start up a little Spanish school and tutor people in your spare time. But, from what I've gathered this is too ambitious for you, even though I bet you are entirely capable.

Bottom line, all we can do is suggest and offer help, (which we've done/are doing) you have to actually do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyb123)
    From what I've read of this thread (the first two pages), it seems like you just want us to say "You're good for nothing" to give you some crazy kind of reassurance that you can spend the rest of your life doing nothing. For what it's worth I think you do have talents, even if you don't know what they are. But your attitude is what is bringing you down, I mean why make a thread like this if you aren't even going to bother taking people's ideas into account! A pessimistic and defeatist outlook won't get you anywhere, you can get a job, but it won't just fall out of the sky into your lap! You don't think you are qualified enough? Get qualifications! You have no experience? Get some, volunteer! You've already mentioned you speak Spanish (although not as well as you used to), brush up on that and you have a fantastic quality that many companies are looking for in a candidate-being bilingual. You could even start up a little Spanish school and tutor people in your spare time. But, from what I've gathered this is too ambitious for you, even though I bet you are entirely capable.

Bottom line, all we can do is suggest and offer help, (which we've done/are doing) you have to actually do something about it.
    how on earth could you possibly know that?
    i couldnt learn spanish now, the vocab and grammar are too complicated. do you know how many tenses there are? i failed it at school. i could never set up a school let alone tutor.
    im not joking when i say i have low intellectual capabilities. it took me ages to learn how to talk as a child, let alone read and walk. my parents thought i was autistic.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine you'd struggle to even get Job seekers allowance as you have to prove that you're looking for work as well as attending meetings every 2 weeks, a simple task, but with your attitude you'd probably fail to even pretend that you were looking for work or make any meetings. So 'living off the state' is probably not an option for you.

If your parents were to kick you out I'm sure you'd find some motivation fairly quickly so why don't you stop taking advantage of people who do work and actually look for a way forward instead of spending your life miserably stuck in the past. Every single one of these people's suggestions are at least reasonable; you are the only person holding yourself back. This doesn't mean that I agree you are 'good for nothing', everybody has something somewhere they can spend their life doing, if you are too ignorant to go and find it then you only have yourself to blame when you realise you've wasted your life.

You also have a good set of A Levels regardless of whether you think they are 'soft' subjects or not, they were good enough to get you into uni in the first place so clearly somebody thought they counted for something.

I would give you some suggestions of things to do but from your previous replies I assume you'd just shoot them down as soon as you read them.

ReputationRep:
    You should sign on to the dole, they'll at least make sure that you're doing the right sort of thing to get a job and will tell you what you should be applying for. If you need to volunteer first in order to get a paid job, they fund you.

Before anyone says, yes they do check and make sure you're not just being a useless layabout.

Although that's not to say that you couldn't just fill your form in the night before... I was very briefly signing on and I had to write 22 things I'd done each week. I don't remember them ever really checking it to make sure it was all true.

EDIT: oh I remember you. Sociology and psychology at Kent right? Not surprised you dropped out the way you were going on complaining about everything. Again, not surprised you can't be asked to find yourself a job, the way you dismiss what everyone's saying. Why don't you just buck your ideas up and get some ounce of drive? You managed to get into uni so it's not like you're totally useless. It just seems that you can't actually be bothered. What's the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kel_x)
    I imagine you'd struggle to even get Job seekers allowance as you have to prove that you're looking for work as well as attending meetings every 2 weeks, a simple task, but with your attitude you'd probably fail to even pretend that you were looking for work or make any meetings. So 'living off the state' is probably not an option for you.

If your parents were to kick you out I'm sure you'd find some motivation fairly quickly so why don't you stop taking advantage of people who do work and actually look for a way forward instead of spending your life miserably stuck in the past. Every single one of these people's suggestions are at least reasonable; you are the only person holding yourself back. This doesn't mean that I agree you are 'good for nothing', everybody has something somewhere they can spend their life doing, if you are too ignorant to go and find it then you only have yourself to blame when you realise you've wasted your life.

You also have a good set of A Levels regardless of whether you think they are 'soft' subjects or not, they were good enough to get you into uni in the first place so clearly somebody thought they counted for something.

I would give you some suggestions of things to do but from your previous replies I assume you'd just shoot them down as soon as you read them.
    those people happen to be my PARENTS. I'm sorry for you if you don't have a family who can provide you with a home when you still need it.

i couldnt learn spanish now, the vocab and grammar are too complicated. do you know how many tenses there are? i failed it at school. i could never set up a school let alone tutor.
      im not joking when i say i have low intellectual capabilities. it took me ages to learn how to talk as a child, let alone read and walk. my parents thought i was autistic.
      From your bio: 'A*ABC A levels in Sociology, Spanish, Psychology and English Language respectively.'

I think you'll find an A in A level Spanish is not a fail, either you're lying on there or on here just to be stubborn and pathetic

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Philippamalko)
      From your bio: 'A*ABC A levels in Sociology, Spanish, Psychology and English Language respectively.'

I think you'll find an A in A level Spanish is not a fail, either you're lying on there or on here just to be stubborn and pathetic
      I mean i failed it in secondary school, in spain where the level at which they teach spanish is a lot higher for obvious reasons. obviously when i came to london and took spanish a level here i passed it without putting in any effort.

I mean i failed it in secondary school, in spain where the level at which they teach spanish is a lot higher for obvious reasons. obviously when i came to london and took spanish a level here i passed it without putting in any effort.
        and your explanation for the A* in sociology is?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Philippamalko)
        and your explanation for the A* in sociology is?
        luck. it was the first year that the A* existed so they obviously wanted to hand them out to impress the government.
        an A* in sociology is not that impressive.

ReputationRep:
        Because a talent can be anything. It might be something you don't even know about yet. It doesn't have to be intellectual, it doesn't matter if you have low intellectual capabilities. Think about what you like, what you enjoy. You must like something besides watching TV. Let's consider that for now though. What is it about watching it you like? Think about your favourite shows. Is it the script, the photography, the acting, the story/plot, hell even their make up and costumes? These are all areas you could get involved in if you were prepared to put in some effort (although that would be far more difficult than just going back to school, there's a reason why other people keep saying it). If you just don't care and want any old job and can't find anything (understandable) then get some experience, volunteer, what is exactly wrong with that? you can't get anywhere without effort, I hope you understand that.

Perhaps you might like to start afresh in some area. I can't tell you what you like, so I'm not going to make suggestions because you will just smother them with your pessimism.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Fuzzpig)
        You should sign on to the dole, they'll at least make sure that you're doing the right sort of thing to get a job and will tell you what you should be applying for. If you need to volunteer first in order to get a paid job, they fund you.

Before anyone says, yes they do check and make sure you're not just being a useless layabout.

Although that's not to say that you couldn't just fill your form in the night before... I was very briefly signing on and I had to write 22 things I'd done each week. I don't remember them ever really checking it to make sure it was all true.

EDIT: oh I remember you. Sociology and psychology at Kent right? Not surprised you dropped out the way you were going on complaining about everything. Again, not surprised you can't be asked to find yourself a job, the way you dismiss what everyone's saying. Why don't you just buck your ideas up and get some ounce of drive? You managed to get into uni so it's not like you're totally useless. It just seems that you can't actually be bothered. What's the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        i was struggling with deadlines because i'm not capable of writing essays anymore. so i dropped out. do you have to be so nasty about it? does it make you feel better?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.