The Student Room Group

Opinion's On Private School?

Scroll to see replies

I'm really passionate about my view of private schools. They just aren't fair.

I mean, I'm one of the cleverest pupils in my year. I'm heading towards all A*s in my GCSEs. I would ADORE to go to a private school, but we just can't afford it. It's not fair that those who can afford are able to go to private schools with very good teaching, education, resources and just a better atmosphere. Pupils at private schools receive better grades through this and so are more likely to go to a good university, which isn't fair.

My school is awful. Regularly our lessons are disrupted by awful behavior, whilst not being in sets for lessons means that I'd hard for top pupils to progress and be challenged.

If private schools were cheaper, or offered more scholarships, then it would be much better.
Reply 81
Original post by peaaceandl0ve

I mean, I'm one of the cleverest pupils in my year. I'm heading towards all A*s in my GCSEs. I would ADORE to go to a private school, but we just can't afford it. It's not fair that those who can afford are able to go to private schools with very good teaching, education, resources and just a better atmosphere. Pupils at private schools receive better grades through this and so are more likely to go to a good university, which isn't fair.

My school is awful. Regularly our lessons are disrupted by awful behavior, whilst not being in sets for lessons means that I'd hard for top pupils to progress and be challenged.

If private schools were cheaper, or offered more scholarships, then it would be much better.

That sounds hard on you, the disruptions.

Out of interest, have you tried applying to other schools in the past in your area and how did that go if you did?

The schools in my area offer LOADS of scholarships. Have you tried applying for some? How did it go?(Genuinely curious, since my school offers so many bursaries and scholarships.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
The schools in my area offer LOADS of scholarships. Have you tried applying for some? How did it go?(Genuinely curious, since my school offers so many bursaries and scholarships.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed them, the maximum bursary they could offer was 10-20% off :/

in fairness the school I go to offers loads of bursaries and there are always grammar schools too? There's lots of people in my year who don't pay the full fees and I presume there's an equal amount in other years too :smile:
My ex-girlfriend went to a private school. She was well spoken, not that bright but very well spoken and her friends were very bright. None of them seemed to appreciate how much opportunity they had compared to me (who goes to a public school).

My opinion: They're not that different from state schools. You're given more because you actually pay for the funding of the school and it's like £21,000 - £30,000 per year per pupil, say a private school has 800 students they're making a good £24,000,000 per year. So they're going to have more money for extra-carricular activities.

It may be unfair for us state school kiddies but that's life. The richer people get the upper hand, that's how it's been and always will be unfortunately.
Reply 86
Original post by Little_Shrimp
Do you think that there should be private schools? I personally don't think that someone should get better opportunities in life (through education and what other things private schools offer such as trips and speakers etc.) because their parents can afford it. I personally think that the government should raise the level of public schooling and get rid of private schools, so everyone has more equal opportunities, and they themselves can decide on how they use those opportunities, rather than their parents handing them everything on a silver platter.
Please don't tell me that I don't understand schooling systems or anything like that because I attended a public school until year 9 and my mother wanted me to go to private school for GCSE and 6th Form (against my will might I add).
What are your opinions?

just thought i'd clarify the difference between 'state', 'private' and 'public' schools. State funded, which is divided into comprehensive and grammar are fully government funded, which I trust you understand. Private and public schools are both independent. Obviously this means they are funded by the pupil's parents and are therefore self run, independent of the government. There are good private schools and there are private schools for names sake. Honestly, just because you go to a 'private' school, doesn't make it very good. There are definitely some private schools out there which produce some of the worst students i've met. A public school however, is a group of the prestigious and traditional private schools in England. It is a very ambiguous definition, mainly because 'public' surely means it is open for all. I think everyone here is getting mixed up between state and public. In america, a 'public' school is equivalent to our state schools. Here is the list of the 'public' schools in England: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SR_V_"Schools"_class_locomotives

Those are basically all the schools which can be appropriately referred to as 'public'. I attended a very very bad primary school until year 4, completed years 4-6 at a local prep school (private) and then i moved into a public school from the age of 11 until I finish off my A2 exams in the summer. I have experienced all 3 tiers and the public school had definitely has provided the most holistic education any individual can receive. Do not get me wrong, I did not go to an independent school purely because my parents could afford it. You have to be good at something. I had a very tough entrance exam and a rigorous interview. At the end of the day, we cannot stereotype all state school pupils to be lower than independent school pupils at all. You can't just be the prime minister's son just to get into a public school (though some of the private ones would on that basis).

We cannot say that state school pupils are stupid, in fact, they produce some of the brightest people out there. It is undoubtable that independent school kids do get quite a lot of help, however I'm afraid 'help' can only go so far. There needs to be raw talent in every individual to excel. I do not believe that state school students are at a disadvantage as such, purely because if they know they are academically gifted, they should make it their aim to do some extra reading, and train themselves to the standard equivalent to an independent school applicant for tertiary education. If finance is seen as a barrier to accessing higher education, perhaps there is a lack of motivation involved.

not having a go, or saying anyone has said anything wrong, i'm just giving in my input as to what I think of the system! :smile:
I emailed them, the maximum bursary they could offer was 10-20% off :/

Hmmm, that's quite strange. As far as I'm aware, most schools offer bursaries and scholarship combinations, which you get quite a lot off for. Have you looked into schools like Christ Church Hospital School in West Sussex? It's boarding and day, but they give out 100% bursaries much more easily. Some schools might only give the really high ones too extremely disadvantaged pupils, like those from council estates, people in care, people just above or below the breadline, etc.

Original post by MissaCwosby
My ex-girlfriend went to a private school. She was well spoken, not that bright but very well spoken and her friends were very bright. None of them seemed to appreciate how much opportunity they had compared to me (who goes to a public school).

My opinion: They're not that different from state schools. You're given more because you actually pay for the funding of the school and it's like £21,000 - £30,000 per year per pupil, say a private school has 800 students they're making a good £24,000,000 per year. So they're going to have more money for extra-carricular activities.

It may be unfair for us state school kiddies but that's life. The richer people get the upper hand, that's how it's been and always will be unfortunately.

It depends on the school though. Obviously, somewhere like Eton, Westminster or Harrow will be better than the average state comp and have better students due to the rigorous entrance process. But a mediocre, small private school that's more lax about entrance isn't that different too a good state comp or a grammar school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completely despise the advantage private school students have over me. Having said this, I will find a way to send my children to private school.
In an ideal world, I think it would be better not to have private schools, as it dies, overall, provide an unfair advantage to students whose parents have the money (and also the inclination) to do whatever necessary to further their child's education. However, this would cost a huge amount of money, firstly to provide school places for all those who would otherwise have been in private education, and also to bring the standard up closer to that in private schools at the moment. As such, it is probably not going to happen in the foreseeable future (Until I rule the world, anyway :biggrin:)
Reply 90
Every school should offer the same opportunities for everyone. That would be a level playing field and a fair test of intelligence. I appreciate the difficulty of putting this into practice and that eliminating competition between schools would effect all sorts of things, but really the only thing that each and every pupil needs to do is not compete with others, but compete with themselves. Private schools have a wired way of creating confident children, and it seems that's all you need in today's world. The gift of the gab and the world is yours.

I empathise fully with how you feel; it was the same way for my GCSEs. My only advice to you, though, is that if you can achieve well at your school, it will stand out to universities. A student who gets straight A*s at a poor to average state school is often held higher than a student who gets straight A*s at a good private school.

I know how hard it is. There's nothing more demotivating than constant bad behaviour, poor teaching, mixed ability sets for almost everything. It often does get better at A levels, though - it's all up to you then. Some people find that scary, but I've loved every minute of A levels so far because of it.

However hard it can be at times, remember that it is worth it. So many people in my year group - including some teachers, albeit unintentionally mostly - did everything they could to stop me from getting top results, and it was so satisfying to walk out of that place for the last time knowing that I'd done well in spite of that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UCLEmily
There is a negative side as well. Private education tends to attract the better teachers away from the state sector, or at minimum, restricts the pool of available teachers. Also the sort of well-off parents who send their children to fee-paying schools might put more financial resources into state schools through fund-raising efforts, etc.

While I agree with the idealogical side of your argument I think you are being a bit too optimistic.
In this scenario, parents wouldn't rally around together to raise funds for the school, the wealthy parents would simply pay for private tuition/whatever else their kid needs outside of school.

Having been to a private school and a state school, the parents of the kids in the state school just paid for things externally. No music lessons offered in school? No problem; most of them had their own instruments and had expensive private lessons several times a week. Bad teacher/stuggling in a subject? Most kids got a tutor. Great if you can pay £20+ for an hour or two of one to one teaching per week, if not, you're still screwed. I remember in year 10 we were handing in a piece of english coursework and I saw one of my friends with a copy of hers, full of corrections and annotations and she was editing it in a computer at school, her tutor had basically marked it for her and she got the best results in the class despite the fact the teacher was completely ****.

The government also give money to the private education sector through charity tax breaks and by paying for some of the places for the children of military officers, etc. It is also plausible that private schools have some of the best facilities and sites in the country, which must push the price up for those types of services, denying them to others.

Finally, the privately educated continue to significantly exceed their share of the intake to the top-10 or 20 universities, implying that state school kids are being sidelined from those institutions as they make way for them.

Also in terms of teachers, yes private schools get the best teachers but if those teachers were forced into the state sector, honestly, most of them would get out of teaching. Most of my teachers at the private school I attend have done a year in a state school as part of their PGCE and whilst most of them said it was an eye opening experience and it made them feel bad at the inequality, may categorically stated that they would never be able to teach in a rough state school as a full time job. Also a lot of them had no financial need to be teaching; some biology teachers were doctors who wanted to take a break from their careers in medicine, many of the english department were ex-journalists/editors and several of them sent their kids to the school so from that we can assume that they were pretty stable financially.
A lot of them wouldn't stand for a drop in wages, more work, larger class sizes and in some cases unruly pupils. Many of them had other options so no private schools wouldn't necessarily mean more good teachers for the state sector.

Also closing down private schools would create a massive amount of new pupils who would need to be places within the state sector. People aren't going to pay any more tax than they do now so how are you going to raise the extra money you need for all these pupils? Practically also, you are going to get a lot more pupils but the school buildings aren't going to get any bigger so you'll have very bad overcrowding in already cramped conditions until you can find the money to sort the problem out.

The main advantage private school applicants have, I think, is help in the actual uni application process. Many of my friends go to very good state schools and the standard of teaching/materials are pretty good. Also, due to the 5A*-C grade resitrictions to get in to college, only the ones who are academically competent and actually want to attend will be there. The main thing I've noticed is the fact that state school kids are put off applying to certain places and aren't supported in their applications. In my school we had 2 careers guidence people and an additional woman who only helped people trying out for Oxbridge. On top of this academic staff were more than happy to look over Personal Statements to check for factual errors etc and also they encouraged as many people as they could to apply, held classes for entrace exams (BMAT, UKCAT, ELAT, LNAT, TSA etc) as well as holding several prep interviews so private school pupils go into interviews 100 times more prepared that the state school child and I think that is hideously unfair.

In short though I don't think anything will be done to address the inequality any time soon which is sad.
Reply 93
Original post by SarahAlexis
Also in terms of teachers, yes private schools get the best teachers but if those teachers were forced into the state sector, honestly, most of them would get out of teaching.

I don't think all the best teachers are in private schools and nor would all good state teachers go private if they could.

I know my parents and a number of their teaching friends have the academic qualifications (UCL, Durham, most have Oxbridge at some point etc.) to be teaching at private and have been headhunted for such jobs, but they believe the work they do in comps is more beneficial and thus find it more satisfying.

Getting a load of kids who know the path to top unis, so to speak, into them is nice, but they would probably have got there without you, but when what you do is a key reason they get where they do it's much more satisfying, or at least that's their take.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
I honestly think If you can afford to go to a Private school, good for you. If the government were to somehow ban them it would only do more damage to the education system. Universities arent going to suddenly accept lower scores to fill places (ie: accepting more "disadvantaged public students") they will simply attract graduates from abroad, and wealthy parents will send their kids abroad to give them the education they want.
Reply 95
I go to a state school and I've never felt as if the education I received there has failed me. A lot of people tend to say that the teaching isn't adequate in state schools, but, I think it is what you make of it. I'm really hard working and used my schooling to the best of my ability and I've just recently accepted my place at my first choice University, so I don't think the opportunities for those in state schools are incredibly low. But, they are considerably lesser than that of those who attend private school. I would have loved to have went to private school if my family had the money. I intend to be a Psychologist in the future, so if I do choose to have children, I hope I would have the option to send them to a brilliant private school and have more opportunities than I did.
Reply 96
Original post by Shannon~
I go to a state school and I've never felt as if the education I received there has failed me. A lot of people tend to say that the teaching isn't adequate in state schools, but, I think it is what you make of it. I'm really hard working and used my schooling to the best of my ability and I've just recently accepted my place at my first choice University, so I don't think the opportunities for those in state schools are incredibly low. But, they are considerably lesser than that of those who attend private school. I would have loved to have went to private school if my family had the money. I intend to be a Psychologist in the future, so if I do choose to have children, I hope I would have the option to send them to a brilliant private school and have more opportunities than I did.

I'm afraid the top private schools probably cost a more than a psychologist is likely to earn.

Lead Psychologists in the NHS earn between band 8d-9, so between 65-97k in actual money before tax.

Top private schools such as Eton or Westminster are 30k a year plus assorted EC fees. Thus you could probably only send one, 2 a year at 60k a time would be absolutely financially crippling given your likely real wage.

Not saying you couldn't afford local private schools, you definitely could, but the ones normally in the 'brilliant' category would probably require an an income in addition to yours, likely your partner's.
Reply 97
Original post by roh
I'm afraid the top private schools probably cost a more than a psychologist is likely to earn.

Lead Psychologists in the NHS earn between band 8d-9, so between 65-97k in actual money before tax.

Top private schools such as Eton or Westminster are 30k a year plus assorted EC fees. Thus you could probably only send one, 2 a year at 60k a time would be absolutely financially crippling given your likely real wage.

Not saying you couldn't afford local private schools, you definitely could, but the ones normally in the 'brilliant' category would probably require an an income in addition to yours, likely your partner's.

That's really good information. It would more than likely be a private school in Scotland, and not England, as I don't think I'd be willing to move as I love this country. Having children is a long time away, so private school fees aren't top of my agenda right now, fortunately! Thanks for the information anyway :smile:
Reply 98
I go to a state school and have attended private school for a year abroad. I understand private school kids have an advantage - however, I think working hard, as I and the rest of my class do, gets me to the same level as privatw school. We have an advantage at Uni for having gone to a comprehensive, state school. Bottom line, academia is not a level playing field, and never will be. There are hard workers, and slackers; there are naturally bright people, and not-so-bright people. There are people that go to private school, and those who go to state schools. That's just the way it is.
Reply 99
Original post by Shannon~
That's really good information. It would more than likely be a private school in Scotland, and not England, as I don't think I'd be willing to move as I love this country. Having children is a long time away, so private school fees aren't top of my agenda right now, fortunately! Thanks for the information anyway :smile:

It's OK, realised it might have come across as rude/random, it's just people often underestimate the cost of the top, top private schools as most local ones are only around a third of the price.

Fraid I don't know about top Scots schools, but I'd imagine the likes of Fettes would still be around the 30k mark with most local independent day schools quite a bit less as in England.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending