The Student Room Group

Opinion's On Private School?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
It's not for anyone to judge to be honest. If parents want to fork out money for there kids then that's up to them and there business. Unfortunately there will always be beneficiaries of wealth. It just all depends on your background. It's unfortunate but that's just life. Just be greatful for the life you hold now :smile: still to be honest if I was rich I certainly wouldn't folk out money for schooling when the public system is completely free. Save that money for university tuition lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think there's anything wrong with private education (i'm at a public school but know people at private schools) if there parents have managed to do well enough to send there child to a private school why shouldn't they be allowed to get there child the best education there is. I do think that the public school system should be improved. I honestly think though that people who go to public schools have as many chances in life as people in private education. If you work hard enough you can do anything you like
So the argument against private schools is that you should not be able to go to a good school simply because you have the money to do so. Then there is the argument against Grammar schools that they too are elitist but they are free to attend if the child is intelligent enough. Somehow it is expected that there is enough money in our taxes to fund all public schools to improve their standards and give the same opportunities that both Grammar and Private give, but that is not possible. I would rather have the option of both private and grammar so at least a percentage of children can get a decent education. I would love more Grammar schools to be developed but of course the government has got rid of most over the years. Great public schools are few and far between and the ones placed in socially deprived areas are never going to be able to excel because a child's education depends on more then just how good the school is, but also how well supported at home they are.

I attended a private secondary school and yet my family are not wealthy, my dad worked 100 hour weeks in an unskilled job to pay for my tuition fees as a teenager. Prompted because the local secondary school was and still is awful, high amount of bullying, children disrupting classes by throwing tables/chairs around, very little homework given out and over crowded classrooms. In contrast the school i went to did not have entrance exams, excepted anyone who wanted to go and could afford it, with the ethos of helping the individual to reach their potential. My year had 15 people in total when i started, by the time i finished there were 30 students in the year split into 2 classes. There was no hiding in the back of the class, lots of teacher support and no one was forgotten or lost in the crowd. My grades went from E's and D's to As and B's in the 4 years I attended, my self confidence soared and now have achieved a great deal more then I ever would have dreamed. I understand that some private schools are snobbish, but not all are, we can not group them all together and say they are all bad. We should support private schools to take more pupils who can not afford to go and encourage them to continue to support the public schools around them, therefore bringing up the standards of everyone not bringing down the top.
If I could afford it I definitely would choose private school for my son
Original post by Miss G
But Private school simply provides you with better facilities, better teachers and a generally more motivated student body so that you can develop your intellect to its full potential. It doesn't award grades based on your parents financial status. That's up to you to achieve.
TThat is so true
My opinions are as follows,As many of you know, the state education system is failing, this is due to underfunding and teachers are often demoralised by lack of pay.The private sector educated about 7% of national schoolchildren. Getting rid of private schools will add further stress to this problem and more state school will have to close at lunch on Friday (many currently are already doing this)Private schools also contribute a huge amount to the country for the reason that schools are charities and must use or donate any profits to outside causes.
Unfortunately the world we live in is unfair but What you are not considering is that not all children who receive a private education come from wealthy families, some have hard working parents who deprive themselves because they appreciate the fact that education is one of the best things they can give to a child . Another point to consider when reflecting on the same logic you used to make the above point is the definition of “fair” . Is it fair to abolish someone else’s opportunity’s in life because everyone else can’t have the same opportunity... I went to both private and public schools , I studied a lot and Although in a public school I did not get the same level of attention from teachers I stayed behind , I went early and gave up many breaks to go and get the information I wanted and I have never been denied the help . The simple difference is that if you want to mess up your education in a public school you are more likely to succeed for the simple reason that in private schools a lot of money is paid so you don’t mess up and teachers have time to actually do something about it whereas at a public school your on a longer leash so to say . So at the end of the day , If you want to be successful, you don’t need a private school , you can’t do it fromHome.
In our country, Public schools have better facilities than private schools. Public schools are more recognized and accepted than private schools. These schools are funded by the government and education is free including books and materials. Still, there are private schools because there is lot of competition to get into these public schools so those who are not lucky enough end up going to private schools like me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending