The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 (approaches and research methods) 15th January 2013 EXAM!!!

Hey,

I wanted to open this topic for discussion as I haven't seen any threads around for this Psychology exam yet. What do you expect to come on the exam this year, predictions? What way would you say is the most effective approach to take when studying the Approaches (excuse the pun!) & Research Methods? I seriously want to get an A* in this paper, what would you recommend I do in terms of revision?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'm doing this too, i'm happy with just getting a C as I did pretty well last year, however i havent started to revise yet, got loads of other exams around the same time, dont know where to start with this one!
I don't really know where to start either. I've been doing all of the approaches and the strengths and weeknesses as well as knowing which case study is for which but I'm so nervous and stressed! I definitely need to go over an exam paper and see what I'm not goon on.
Reply 3
Original post by Ibrar
Hey,

I wanted to open this topic for discussion as I haven't seen any threads around for this Psychology exam yet. What do you expect to come on the exam this year, predictions? What way would you say is the most effective approach to take when studying the Approaches (excuse the pun!) & Research Methods? I seriously want to get an A* in this paper, what would you recommend I do in terms of revision?

Thanks in advance :smile:

our school is keen on behavourist/indiv differences
Reply 4
will an approach always come up? is it wise to only revise approaches for section b?
Reply 5
Original post by ggcrisp
will an approach always come up? is it wise to only revise approaches for section b?

its normally an approach and something else, such as qualitative / quantitative data, ethics, ecological validity, experimental methods etc. does anyone know whats likely to come up, so i can narrow my revision, so much to revise for :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Alright Guys, thanks for keeping this topic alive...and who ever is stressed, don't be. I would highly recommend looking at exam papers- what I was thinking of doing was looking at the last 4 or 5 exam papers and correlating the likelihood of certain topics coming up for our exam- has anyone else actually done something like this yet?
Reply 7
Our teacher has told us to only revise approaches and that's all we've been taught, excluding the other section which is in research methods obviously.
Reply 8
Original post by Ibrar
Alright Guys, thanks for keeping this topic alive...and who ever is stressed, don't be. I would highly recommend looking at exam papers- what I was thinking of doing was looking at the last 4 or 5 exam papers and correlating the likelihood of certain topics coming up for our exam- has anyone else actually done something like this yet?

here's a table of what had previously came up
Reply 9
Alright, thanks for the G544 Synoptic sheet ggcrisp- it's really helpful. So guys who wanna know what may come up, this is the sheet I recommend you download; after then establishing what may come up the most (what hasn't been examined so far), focus on these areas BUT make sure you overview the others thoroughly in detail aswell if your looking for a high grade- who knows? We all may be dumbfounded, if we solely focus on a certain topic and leave the others out!! Good luck and make sure you keep this thread alive :colondollar:
Reply 10
What do you need to include in the answers to: "briefly outline the ..... approach" and "describe two pieces of research that use the ..... approach"?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1993103 That's a great thread by the way. It's from summer last year so I doubt too much has changed, if they have can you let me know please. I'm not in school so i've not been notified if it has!
Reply 12
Original post by ggcrisp
What do you need to include in the answers to: "briefly outline the ..... approach" and "describe two pieces of research that use the ..... approach"?

You can answer this question by dividing the questions in two parts:

Part 1:

Briefly outline the approach e.g. if cognitive say it focuses on how mental processes influence the way we behave and mainly uses lab experiments to do this (this is very brief so try and write at least two to three sentences when you outline the relevant approach).

Part 2:

Here describe the first piece of research by using PEC (Point, evidence, comment) format for each research study you put in so for example, let's talk about the cognitive app. again, so here's the format you should be using:

Point- The cognitive app. uses controlled settings to study human behaviour.

Evidence- relevant study? The study of Loftus and Palmer, for example (on reconstruction of memory on automobile destruction), used a lab experiment to investigate the participants' memory of whether they could remember the details of an accident clip correctly (part 1 of the experiment).

Comment- This shows us that the cognitive approach studies behaviour in controlled settings, which means the study can be easily replicated again, increasing reliability.

Thanks- any other questions, (anyone), feel free to ask.

Ibrar
Reply 13
Could someone tell me some A2 studies that follow the Cognitive, Developmental and Individual Differences approach?
i know some social and physiological ones already but we don't seem to have gone over the other approaches for A2 in class.
Reply 14
Original post by Mcbzr
Could someone tell me some A2 studies that follow the Cognitive, Developmental and Individual Differences approach?
i know some social and physiological ones already but we don't seem to have gone over the other approaches for A2 in class.

What do you mean? The Behaviourist and Psycho dynamic perspectives? Because you've already covered the 5 approaches, but we also have to know the two perspectives I've mentioned above, alongside the approaches.

If this is what you're talking about, drop a further message and I'll reply as soon as I get time...
thanks
Original post by Mcbzr

Individual differences: Thigpen and cleckley and Daly and Wilson
Cognitive: Loftus and Palmer, Yochelson and Samenow, Beck, Meichenbaum, Rush, Kovacs, Beck and Hollon, Gudjonsson and Bownes, Cann, Kohlberg
Developmental:
Farrington et al, Kohlberg, Watson and Raynor and McGrath
Hope that helped! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by hannahkathleen
Individual differences: Thigpen and cleckley and Daly and Wilson
Cognitive: Loftus and Palmer, Yochelson and Samenow, Beck, Meichenbaum, Rush, Kovacs, Beck and Hollon, Gudjonsson and Bownes, Cann, Kohlberg
Developmental:
Farrington et al, Kohlberg, Watson and Raynor and McGrath
Hope that helped! :smile:

Thankyou! Can Farrington be seen as Social as well as Developmental?
Original post by Mcbzr
Thankyou! Can Farrington be seen as Social as well as Developmental?

I'd say so because it covers their lives from from age 8 and it's still going on now, which shows their development. Arguably you could link any study you think matches the approach as long as you link it to the approach thoroughly.
I'm not 100% sure (I never am) so if anyone else wants to back me up or contradict what I've said, anything would be good!
Reply 18
Have you just learnt these in class? Is there a useful website that anyone knows of that is for A2 psychology? All the ones I've found are just AS information.
Reply 19
We haven't done any lessons on the A2 exam on research methods and approaches :frown: I've just looked at one of the pass papers .. I'm going to fail :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest