The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 (approaches and research methods) 15th January 2013 EXAM!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How do you get 3 marks for a research question? Eg. For a self report on exam anxiety, would: 'How do students cope with exam anxiety' be enough, or would it not actually be a question and more like 'A questionairre to show how students cope with exam anxiety?'
Reply 21
Original post by Mojojojo
How do you get 3 marks for a research question? Eg. For a self report on exam anxiety, would: 'How do students cope with exam anxiety' be enough, or would it not actually be a question and more like 'A questionairre to show how students cope with exam anxiety?'

The second one you wrote isn't a question. It's kind of like a directional hypothesis but as a question. So for the first example you wrote you need to be more specific so: "Do 18-19 year old students become more anxious before a written exam than 20-21 year olds?" so you've specified the age and what kind of exam it is :smile:

Does anyone know which Section B part d) comparison came up last June? The one about comparing approaches :smile:
Reply 22
Just seen this thread..so nervous for this exam arghhhhhh
So much to revise for this exam... :eek:

I'm focusing on Individual Differences + Behaviourist Approach for Section B

Anyone have an idea whats likely to be on Section A? :colondollar:
Reply 24
Original post by YoungCocoaButter

Anyone have an idea whats likely to be on Section A? :colondollar:

Our teacher mentioned Validity and Reliability as a possible 6 mark question?
Reply 25
Original post by YoungCocoaButter

How comes? They're so unpredictable lol.

This was posted from the Student Room's Android App
Reply 26
does anyone know the structure for the compare question? :/
Reply 27
At my college we use point, Evidence from one approach, Evidence from other approach, then a comment. we do this twice once for the similarity and once for the difference. This is for the compare question. hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Boqore
How comes? They're so unpredictable lol.

This was posted from the Student Room's Android App

I have a feeling developmental may come up as it hasen't for a while. not sure though
I did my AS year on the AQA exam board and have transferred colleges and am now on OCR. Frustrated as I never learned the studies that everyone in my class knows and we only ever did Biological, Behavioural, Psychodynamic and Cognitive. I'm trying to learn Individual Differences, Developmental and Social approach before the exam and the studies to back them up. We obviously did studies at AS on AQA but no where near as in depth as OCR students know them. Getting myself really stressed out, don't know how I'm going to do this exam:frown:
Reply 30
Original post by breakeven
I did my AS year on the AQA exam board and have transferred colleges and am now on OCR. Frustrated as I never learned the studies that everyone in my class knows and we only ever did Biological, Behavioural, Psychodynamic and Cognitive. I'm trying to learn Individual Differences, Developmental and Social approach before the exam and the studies to back them up. We obviously did studies at AS on AQA but no where near as in depth as OCR students know them. Getting myself really stressed out, don't know how I'm going to do this exam:frown:

Don't worry mate, you'll be fine: here's my tips:

1) Know the exam structure
2) Know when to use PEE
3) Know the approaches' assumptions, strengths and weaknesses
4) Know methodology of 2 studies from each approach and perspective, so know 14 studies briefly, whether they used lab , high in controls, low e.v, reliability, cause and effect e.t.c.
5) Knowing methodology will allow you to link it to all the issues: longitudinal/snapshot, application, reliability, generalisability, ethics,
quan./qualitative, usefulness of study, end justifies means (I think), validity.
6) And debates!!! Determinism/Free will, ethnocentrism, approach bias, reductionism/holism, psychology as a science, ind./situational, nature/nurture.

Good luck everyone- a day to go now!!!:rolleyes:
Reply 31
I'm convinced Individual Differences approach will come up - been using past papers to revise approaches and studies and haven't come across it!

I'm planning to use a past paper but change the questions to about ID approach to revise it.

We're lucky to have an exam where all the questions are similar just on a different topic!
Reply 32
Original post by hannah2101
I'm convinced Individual Differences approach will come up - been using past papers to revise approaches and studies and haven't come across it!

I'm planning to use a past paper but change the questions to about ID approach to revise it.

We're lucky to have an exam where all the questions are similar just on a different topic!

Thanks for your advice- I'll make sure I get this approach solid in my head.
Hope you pass, and everyone else too!!

When we get our results, I think in May, come back here to say what you got, thanks
I read the mark scheme for section B and it says two studies from two different sources, does this mean you can't use two from forensics? You would have to use one from forensics and one from another????

Also I'm awful with individual differences, what studies could be used for that one? I've got Yochelson and Samenow? Thigpen and cleckly too although I'm a bit iffy on that one. Any more from a2? Health and clinical preferably!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by hannahkathleen
I read the mark scheme for section B and it says two studies from two different sources, does this mean you can't use two from forensics? You would have to use one from forensics and one from another????

Also I'm awful with individual differences, what studies could be used for that one? I've got Yochelson and Samenow? Thigpen and cleckly too although I'm a bit iffy on that one. Any more from a2? Health and clinical preferably!

I use Thigpen and Cleckly and Gudjohnsson for individual differences. Rosenhan is individual differences i think also.
Reply 35
"Compare the individual differences approach with the behaviourist perspective. Use examples of research to support your answer [8]

So what things could you talk about to get top band marks. I can only think of sample size, method and research designs. Could you use debates too? :s
Does correlation have experimental designs? I'm just a bit confused :confused:
Do any of you think Ethics will come up and in what format?
Original post by madbazzer
At my college we use point, Evidence from one approach, Evidence from other approach, then a comment. we do this twice once for the similarity and once for the difference. This is for the compare question. hope this helps. :smile:

So is that like....
"A similarity between X and Y is.... For example X......Whereas Y......Therefore..."
AND
"A difference between X and Y is.... For example X......Whereas Y......Therefore..."

Would that be enough, just two points? (4 marks for each I'm guessing)
Original post by 47399 madbazzer
I use Thigpen and Cleckly and Gudjohnsson for individual differences. Rosenhan is individual differences i think also.

could also use Griffiths...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending