Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why it is more humid in an old woodland that has lots of tall trees and a big canopy? I know this is a dumb question but I need some ideas. I have already said that there is less light due to the shading of leaves, so less evaporation happens, making it more damp and humid. Any1 gt any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubi)
    Does anyone know why it is more humid in an old woodland that has lots of tall trees and a big canopy? I know this is a dumb question but I need some ideas. I have already said that there is less light due to the shading of leaves, so less evaporation happens, making it more damp and humid. Any1 gt any ideas?
    Well water leaves plants by transpiration via leaves, this includes the plants at ground level and smaller treas, because of the canopy, less of this evaporated water can make it out of the actual woodland, so its stays there increasing the humidity.

Also because of the large number of trees, there is a certain degree of insulation provided, keeping temperatures mild, increasing the rate of transpiration and evaporation further increasing the humidity.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.