The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE at BCU

Hi guys,

I've been trying to find a thread based on this topic, but haven't seen any! I have an interview coming up at Birmingham City University and was just wondering if anyone else has had one, or also has one approaching?
I'm particularly worried about the general knowledge test and self-evaluation task as it is proving to be quite difficult to prepare for these!

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!
yeah ive got one on the 23rd, already getting nervous! whens yours?
im not sure either how to prepare for those, all it said was the self-evaluation was to assess written skills so im not sure what format the general knowledge test is in.
Hey Guys i have mine on the 23rd to, im nervous over the general knowledge test because it does not specify if its only english and maths or is it national curriculum subjects. aswell the self evaluation task scared.com
Reply 3
i think the general knowledge test will be national curriculum subjects to be honest but im not sure what format it will be in, like multiple choice or written.
Reply 4
I had my interview on Wednesday 9th Jan and received an offer on Fri! Good luck :redface:)
Reply 5
My interview was on Wednesday 9th too! I also got a place :smile: well done!
Original post by kgill

Hey Guys how did the interview go how was the general knowledge test was it just english and maths or a variety of national curriculum subjects
Reply 7
Original post by kgill

Congrats :redface:)
I had an interview on Wednesday 16th and found out today that I have a place, yay :biggrin:. I was absolutely terrified beforehand but it wasn't actually too bad so try not to worry!

I would advise that you arrive as early as possible as you are given the statement that you have to discuss for the discussion task upon arrival. Obviously the earlier you get there the more time you have to make notes/prepare.

The general knowledge test was across the whole curriculum. It was mainly multiple choice and felt like it was more to see which areas you could be supported in, rather then to really try and 'test' you.

The evaluative task is straightforward and you have more than enough time to complete it!

The interview was surprisingly stress-free! The guy didn't ask me too many questions and it felt really quite casual. He said to think of it as a chance for him to get to know me a bit more rather than as an interview. Not scary at all!

I hope this has helped! Good luck; you'll all be fine :smile:.
Reply 9
Original post by lemraclemrac
I had an interview on Wednesday 16th and found out today that I have a place, yay :biggrin:. I was absolutely terrified beforehand but it wasn't actually too bad so try not to worry!

I would advise that you arrive as early as possible as you are given the statement that you have to discuss for the discussion task upon arrival. Obviously the earlier you get there the more time you have to make notes/prepare.

The general knowledge test was across the whole curriculum. It was mainly multiple choice and felt like it was more to see which areas you could be supported in, rather then to really try and 'test' you.

The evaluative task is straightforward and you have more than enough time to complete it!

The interview was surprisingly stress-free! The guy didn't ask me too many questions and it felt really quite casual. He said to think of it as a chance for him to get to know me a bit more rather than as an interview. Not scary at all!

I hope this has helped! Good luck; you'll all be fine :smile:.

Hi,

I have an interview for the Primary PGCE (Part Time) at BCU on the 27th Feb and that informtaion has benreally helpful.

I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering please. For the general knowldge test, would going over GCSE bitesize be okay just for a refresher?

Also, what types of questions are asked at the interview? Are they looking to see whether you have some awareness on the pedagogy of teaching?

Sorry about the bombardment but I am really nervous.
Reply 10
Hi guys,

I have my interview at BCU next week, and really nervous! I'm just wondering what the discussion part of the process is like, as I'm quite a shy person, do they want people to be really opinionated? and what were the statements like that you had to discuss, were they quite hard topics?

I have just gone onto bbc bitesize to brush up for the general knowledge test, will this be sufficient?

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

MariamMayat how did your interview go today?

Thanks guys
For the discussion the uni give you a statement when you arrive (so get the a little early) and you have to lead the group for ten minutes with your statement. (everyone in your group has a different statement It isn't too bad. just do your bit, lead the discussion but also give others time to talk. They don't want a debate just a discussion on the topic.
Reply 12
Thanks for the help! How was your Interview? Did u get through to the second part?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an email 6 days after the interview with an Unconditional offer which i have accepted.
Reply 14
Congratulations Mariam. Have you already passed the QTS Math and English tests? How did you find them?
Yes I have already passed the QTS tests.They were okay
I bought the books but mainly just did the online practice ones
I found the literacy easier but that's cause my BACK is in Engish.
Reply 16
Awh congrats marium!!! I got in too :smile: so looks like we may bump into eachother!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I had an interview on Wed 27th and I've already found out I have a place! :smile:

I've already passed my QTS Literacy, does anyone have any advice on the Maths one?
Reply 18
Hi suzi
The maths one is ok just make sure you know fractions percentages and frequency graphs. I've passed English but have to do maths again.

i have my interview for early years pgce primary on Wednesday. Is there any advice on general knowledge test and what's the one to one questions like ... Please help I'm so nervous xx
Reply 19
Original post by B18ncs
Hi suzi
The maths one is ok just make sure you know fractions percentages and frequency graphs. I've passed English but have to do maths again.

i have my interview for early years pgce primary on Wednesday. Is there any advice on general knowledge test and what's the one to one questions like ... Please help I'm so nervous xx

Thanks for that!

The staff at BCU are wonderful, really friendly and welcoming. The interview itself is really informal and chatty.

Be confident in the discussion and don't be afraid to contradict other peoples views.

The general knowledge test is more of a primary curriculum knowledge test, I'd say brush up on History and Geography. Basic Maths, Science and English are all in there. It is very hard to prepare for though. My general knowledge is absolutely horrible and I managed okay. Good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending