The Student Room Group

Economics or Physics for AS? HELP

Hey guys, I'm new to tsr so apologies if I have accidentally done something wrong or weird...
Basically I have to choose my AS subjects soon and I really want to do medicine so I'm doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry A-Levels, but I really can't decide what to do for AS!
I have heard Physics is hard but- call me strange if you may- I LOVE theoretical physics, however I do need to get the top grades, which will be more than possible in Econ because I'm doing economics GCSE, and apparently Universities like to see you can do something different, other than just sciences.

I would really appreciate your views and opinions :smile:
Both would be great for medicine. Pick whichever. Economics could be good as does have less workload than the sciences.
Reply 2
economics would be good as it will keep in check your essay writing skills that can easily go astray when only studying the sciences. it is important to stress that economics isn't very quantitative, meaning there is not much maths involved in it strangely enough; perhaps physics would be best if you are good, and enjoy working with numbers. both are difficult in their separate ways, so i would recommend going for the one you think you'll enjoy!
Reply 3
Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 4
I'd advise you to take Economics, despite being an avid physicist myself, purely because its more essay based and can show your versatility to universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Pings
apparently Universities like to see you can do something different, other than just sciences.

Original post by lebron_23
I'd advise you to take Economics, despite being an avid physicist myself, purely because its more essay based and can show your versatility to universities.

The only medical schools that I know of that prefer a contrasting subject are UCL and Peninsula (and apparently the advantage is still very small). So taking all science's is completely fine and will certainly not damage your application.

So OP, if you'd rather do physics, go for it as you're likely to do better in subjects that you enjoy more. :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks guys :smile: yeah well the problem is that I do enjoy both- I just prefer physics, however I am more likely to achieve an A/A* in Economics with less effort...
Original post by usycool1
The only medical schools that I know of that prefer a contrasting subject are UCL and Peninsula
At the moment I aspire to go UCL :P

Original post by Selym95
economics would be good as it will keep in check your essay writing skills that can easily go astray when only studying the sciences.

Original post by lebron_23
I'd advise you to take Economics because its more essay based and can show your versatility to universities.
I guess keeping the essay writing skills would be very handy!
Thank youu everyone for all your help!

Quick Reply

Latest