Why are there so many Indians doing/applying for Dentistry? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Alison Dominici
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, just a thought. I've been to 3 dental school open days and university tours and have had the opportunity to talk to current dental students and prospective alike. I don't know if it's me but a lot of students have been Indian, the ones applying and current ones. I know when i visited Cardiff and Bham i'd say the majority of students were girls, yet most were Indian. My dentist is Indian aswell and 2 that I shadowed were also Indian. Is it a cultural/money thing? I'd like to get thoughts. Thankk You!
dreamer_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
this link may answer your questions
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1918931
...enjoy! :P
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know lots of international students tend to be more interested in those courses their parents may push them towards. At my uni we have lots of international students who went to the law and medicine courses open days.
splitstriker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dentistry is one of the 'best' careers that comes off a vocational degree.

Stereotypically, the indian mentality is that the best education is the highly academic vocational courses, so a lot of us are brought up thinking medicine (and in this country, dentistry) are the highest we can achieve.

It's got it's pros and cons, but just remember that a lot of the indian dental students aren't just there because their parents told them to do it, but also because they are highly motivated and passionate about the subject.
Alison Dominici
Rep:
?
(Original post by splitstriker)
Dentistry is one of the best careers that comes off a vocational degree.

Stereotypically, the indian mentality is that the best education is the highly academic vocational courses, so a lot of us are brought up thinking medicine (and in this country, dentistry) are the highest we can achieve.

It's got it's pros and cons, but just remember that a lot of the indian dental students aren't just there because their parents told them to do it, but also because they are highly motivated and passionate about the subject.
Ahh brill answer. Thread wasn't meant to be anything derogatory or something to take offense to, it was a mere observation, so sorry if you were offended to those who negged. Thank you for the answer again!!
Alison Dominici
Rep:
?
(Original post by dreamer_)
this link may answer your questions
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1918931
...enjoy! :P
Ahhh didn't realise that there was this thread! Thanks x
Maxisussex
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I guess the current ones providing bad/dangerous surgery just aren't enough.
iknowi2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
smart?
HnnahCleverly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alison Dominici)
Hey guys, just a thought. I've been to 3 dental school open days and university tours and have had the opportunity to talk to current dental students and prospective alike. I don't know if it's me but a lot of students have been Indian, the ones applying and current ones. I know when i visited Cardiff and Bham i'd say the majority of students were girls, yet most were Indian. My dentist is Indian aswell and 2 that I shadowed were also Indian. Is it a cultural/money thing? I'd like to get thoughts. Thankk You!
Hi Alison, this is true. I think it's Asians in general, but a large proportion of "dental" students are Indian as opposed to other fields, that's what i've also noticed. Maybe it's pressure from their parent's. I actually spoke to a couple at my Plymouth interview who were Indian and they came from very high backgrounds and were very posh. It may be that it's a career that their parents would like to pursue, hence some pressure on them, and the fact that their is a lot of money in the career. Or it could well be that their genuinely in to it and smart enough to pursue that as a profession.
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prestige, financially rewarding, scientific, vocational, a mix of these factors.
Egos
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This thread should no longer be here!
Removal requested.
I don't want to see people fighting each other!
Alison Dominici
Rep:
?
(Original post by Egos)
This thread should no longer be here!
Removal requested.
I don't want to see people fighting each other!
Why should it be removed? Everyones entitled to their view. It's not meant to be an offensive thread.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm an Indian and I've never really been fond of dentistry. Not all Indians do it.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Harsh Kaur)
I negged you because this is such a stupid thread and blatant racism aimed at Indians. So what if we apply to Dentistry. I have an offer at KCL for dentistry and im an Indian? Whats your point.... We aint all doing it because our parents forced us. My dad's a dentist and i like the money and lifestyle with the profession. There a problem that we want to be successful in life while the non-indians (whites and pakistanis) sit on their asses doing nothing. Oh and my dad helped me with my interview and helped my 2 brothers aswell who are now studying at Birmingham and Leeds. HAH in your face
If you do this, you are no longer allowed to play the racism card. Christ alive, alot of pent up anger in there?

Also, if this is the first time you've seen a race topic, where the hell do you live... I've never known a 17-18 year old act like this ._.

On topic: There's a sterotype that Indian people are smarter than everyone else, and that they typically go for law/medical degrees because of it. When I went for my dental interview, I was like in the 0.1% non white/indian bracket.
too many legs.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I negged you because this is such a stupid thread and blatant racism aimed at Indians. So what if we apply to Dentistry. I have an offer at KCL for dentistry and im an Indian? Whats your point.... We aint all doing it because our parents forced us. My dad's a dentist and i like the money and lifestyle with the profession. There a problem that we want to be successful in life while the non-indians (whites and pakistanis) sit on their asses doing nothing. Oh and my dad helped me with my interview and helped my 2 brothers aswell who are now studying at Birmingham and Leeds. HAH in your face
Oh come off it. I'm Pakistani myself and I'm leading onto a degree which although won't give me as much £££ as Dentistry, it would still give me enough to live and be happy. Yes, Dentistry will give you a professional well respected title with more than enough money but you mustn't forget that money isn't all there is to the world, and it can only make you happy to a certain extent. Well done for all your offers and successes within the family but the mentality that you have isn't going to get you far; not all 'whites and pakistanis' are doing nothing with their life, same with how not all Indians are doing something with theirs. You seem to have a lot of growing up to do and I wish on your pursuit of getting a degree you find out a lot more about society and brush off that stuck-up arrogant attitude you currently possess.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm curious as to why you think that. I'm Indian and I don't know the answer to it, does anyone know the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tasha_11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I cannot believe that you would actually say this. This is a perfectly valid question that I have also noticed myself. I am a Pakistani and have received an offer from kings for dentistry. Although it isn't as many, lots of 'whites and pakistanis' also pursue good careers such as dentistry, medicine, law etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Azarimanka
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because of their backward culture that makes parents force their kids into a tiny selection of (scientific subjects) regardless of what the kid wants. It's pathetic, and I know several very unhappy asian students who'd have been much better off studying english or history etc.
Doctor.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Azarimanka)
Because of their backward culture that makes parents force their kids into a tiny selection of (scientific subjects) regardless of what the kid wants. It's pathetic, and I know several very unhappy asian students who'd have been much better off studying english or history etc.
To be fair I know plenty of Asian kids who absolutely LOVE what they do. What's wrong with wanting to do scientific subject btw? Some kids actually enjoy that sort of stuff...

Not only that but if my parents didn't give me that initial push into education, I would probably living off the dole...
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like others have said, a combination of upbringing (with pursuit of prestigious and well-paying careers being highly encouraged) as well as genuine interest. From my experience I've found that those who actually stand a good chance of getting into Medicine/Dentistry have an actual interest in the career, as those who wish to apply merely due to upbringing tend to not do that well in A-Levels.

:troll:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads