The Student Room Group

AQA AS Environmental Studies Unit 1: Jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wizkidani
Hello!
Thank you so much! I'll try to do them :3 I really want a B :frown:
Your idea's sounds really good ^.^
Oh my gosh! Well done! It's amazing how you've improved so much even with your condition! I find it hard concentrating so I'm a slow learner xD I hope if I work hard this year I can get my B :/
Thank you so much!!
By the way are you going to do A2 in September? :3 We can all help each other :biggrin: I think by talking to people on TSR it really helps me to improve :smile:

Yes I am going onto a2, and sure sounds like a plan! :smile:
I got a D as well in ENVS2 :frown:( But I got a C overall :}
I think with Environmental studies it's really about exam technique :/ We have to write how examiners want us to write. I'm going to resit unit 2 so if you're going to resit it we can help each other out :3 I think it would help if we start doing some stuff early too :smile: You're really close to a C so don't give up!! It's possible for someone with a D to even get an A :3 If you think you did better in the exam go for a remark :smile:
I heard A2 is really hard so I'm really scared!! I hope I have TSR helping me :3

It's good that you got a C overall, well done! I think so too as I do fine in my other A Levels, I'll have to ask my teachers to go through questions with me and identify what exactly the questions are asking me to do. I don't know whether to resit as of yet but I have been considering it as I've done a lot better in past papers. It would be great for us to help each other out.. I'll ask my teachers whether I should either resit or get a remark as they have access to our actual papers so I can see where I went wrong. I think so too as I put in a lot of revision forvEnvironmental Studies so as you can imagine I was quite disappointed with my grades, more so for ENVS1 as that was a resit and a much easier paper than the January one. so if anything, I really want a remark for that paper as I was confident I would get a C. It certainly looks it too as some of the stuff is quite in depth, I've loaned out my Environmental Studies book and there is A LOT to learn and take in. I hope so too, I really want a C overall but for some reason I feel I could do a lot better.
Reply 82
Original post by EmilyStrange13
It's good that you got a C overall, well done! I think so too as I do fine in my other A Levels, I'll have to ask my teachers to go through questions with me and identify what exactly the questions are asking me to do. I don't know whether to resit as of yet but I have been considering it as I've done a lot better in past papers. It would be great for us to help each other out.. I'll ask my teachers whether I should either resit or get a remark as they have access to our actual papers so I can see where I went wrong. I think so too as I put in a lot of revision forvEnvironmental Studies so as you can imagine I was quite disappointed with my grades, more so for ENVS1 as that was a resit and a much easier paper than the January one. so if anything, I really want a remark for that paper as I was confident I would get a C. It certainly looks it too as some of the stuff is quite in depth, I've loaned out my Environmental Studies book and there is A LOT to learn and take in. I hope so too, I really want a C overall but for some reason I feel I could do a lot better.

Thank you! :smile: You sound smart so it's probably your exam technique and definitely go for the remark! I'm reallly really scared for A2 D:
Thank you! :smile: You sound smart so it's probably your exam technique and definitely go for the remark! I'm reallly really scared for A2 D:

You're welcome xD Haha, thanks xDD Yes, it probably is. I just hope I can improve it as I set aside a considerable amount of my revision time for Environmental Studies. I will! Me too. I get a mini panic attack everytime I open my Environmental Studies book to the A2 topic chapters :frown:
Evening All,

I just wanted to pick your brains a little and ask you how you are finding the course and the resources that you may be using. I am a A2 student studying this subject in Birmingham and finding it extremely hard to relate the past papers back to the work out of the book! I got two E's at AS level leaving me on a overall 'High E' I must say at AS. I noticed a few members commenting about how well they are doing with the subject and I just wanted to know how they are coping with the subject and doing so well at the AS exams! I am struggling for resources and would really like some guidance as I will be re taking all 4 units again next summer to try and achieve an overall C minimum. If someone could offer me some guidance and support I would be extremely grateful. Many Thanks James
Reply 85
Original post by james1996p
Evening All,

I just wanted to pick your brains a little and ask you how you are finding the course and the resources that you may be using. I am a A2 student studying this subject in Birmingham and finding it extremely hard to relate the past papers back to the work out of the book! I got two E's at AS level leaving me on a overall 'High E' I must say at AS. I noticed a few members commenting about how well they are doing with the subject and I just wanted to know how they are coping with the subject and doing so well at the AS exams! I am struggling for resources and would really like some guidance as I will be re taking all 4 units again next summer to try and achieve an overall C minimum. If someone could offer me some guidance and support I would be extremely grateful. Many Thanks James

Hi! What sort of things do you do in your lessons? There's only 2 of us in my class, so we basically get 1:1 tuition xD The ppts and 'group work' our teachers have made relate to the book somewhat, but then every now and again they give us past paper questions, and this really helps it all go in! Last year I got a B at as and my friend got a C, but even though the content looks harder our teachers have given us resources like worksheets, going over the last topic with questions sheets and exam q's, and the ppts again are fab! So what sort of things do you do? :smile:
Hi Abbey,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly really helpful! I was discussing this with my class mate last night about this forum and he said that it would be helpful if we could discuss together. Our lessons involve the teacher dictating the info to us and copying it off his sheet to the board where we then copy it into our book. His notes are so long which makes it harder to revise from, he also gives us some questions from the book and makes us write reports but doesn't mark them makes it harder for us to get a clear picture. Anyway following that issue I have made a complaint as its terrible as we are not learning correctly and I am getting really worried as I need a minimum 'C' overall and having to do all 4 units again:frown: You are lucky what sort of handouts do you receive from your teacher and what else does the teacher give to you? How do they teach the subject? I would appreciate it also if you could tell me how you revise for Environmental Studies as the book is so wordy and I find it difficult to answer the questions on the paper as most of them are very detailed and picked at random from the book! any ideas?? Look forward to hearing from you soon James
Does anyone else find Unit 4: Biological Resources & Sustainability a whole LOT easier than Unit 3: Energy Resources and Pollution? I find Unit 4 particularly interesting and I also find pollution is straightforward enough but I am really struggling with energy resources. I really need a C for this but I fear that much of Unit 3 will let me down :frown:
Reply 88
Original post by james1996p
Hi Abbey,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly really helpful! I was discussing this with my class mate last night about this forum and he said that it would be helpful if we could discuss together. Our lessons involve the teacher dictating the info to us and copying it off his sheet to the board where we then copy it into our book. His notes are so long which makes it harder to revise from, he also gives us some questions from the book and makes us write reports but doesn't mark them makes it harder for us to get a clear picture. Anyway following that issue I have made a complaint as its terrible as we are not learning correctly and I am getting really worried as I need a minimum 'C' overall and having to do all 4 units again:frown: You are lucky what sort of handouts do you receive from your teacher and what else does the teacher give to you? How do they teach the subject? I would appreciate it also if you could tell me how you revise for Environmental Studies as the book is so wordy and I find it difficult to answer the questions on the paper as most of them are very detailed and picked at random from the book! any ideas?? Look forward to hearing from you soon James

Hi James! Your teacher sounds rubbish :/ For unit 1, I summarised notes to make it easier for me to understand :3 I'm struggling with the A2 units though :/
Reply 89
Does anyone else find Unit 4: Biological Resources & Sustainability a whole LOT easier than Unit 3: Energy Resources and Pollution? I find Unit 4 particularly interesting and I also find pollution is straightforward enough but I am really struggling with energy resources. I really need a C for this but I fear that much of Unit 3 will let me down :frown:

I haven't started unit 4 :/ I'm really struggling with unit 3 :'(
Been a while since I posted on here but here I go.
How is everybody holding up?

I found unit 4 difficult I'm not a fan of agriculture at all and got a C on my mock test. But I love unit 3 energy and pollution is so interesting and I'm finding it not too difficult to grasp.

Getting really nervous about the exams as they are not too far away, but will keep revising in the hope I get my A :biggrin:
Reply 91
Original post by behindblueglass

I found unit 4 difficult I'm not a fan of agriculture at all and got a C on my mock test. But I love unit 3 energy and pollution is so interesting and I'm finding it not too difficult to grasp.

Getting really nervous about the exams as they are not too far away, but will keep revising in the hope I get my A :biggrin:

I'm the opposite! I'm finding unit 3 harder :P I'm so behind and I can't remember the old stuff? What techniques are you using for these units? (:
I'm the opposite! I'm finding unit 3 harder :P I'm so behind and I can't remember the old stuff? What techniques are you using for these units? (:

I guess everyone likes different topics, but I found there was so much terminology for unit 4. I am going for the same approach as last year. 1.) highlight all notes 2.) rewrite notes into revision book 3.) takes revision notes off the aqa website (students handbook thing) and making posters for all 5 of the sub topics (agriculture, aquaculture, farming, energy and pollution) 4.) do all past papers using mark scheme then without. 5.) work on the essay question more because the marking for these is weird this year and you need to get your style perfected it's no longer marked on a point basis. Get the definitions in the introduction, link back to the question in the conclusion.

Hows your uni application going? :smile:

I like most of the content in Unit 4 and agriculture has to be my favourite topic of the 4. Although I'm not too keen on the topic of fishing >.> I find it difficult to formulate answers to the essay questions, not because I suck at writing essays but because I find it hard to explain concepts I am writing about. I'm aiming for a B but I'm not sure whether I will attain it as I have SO many exams this year.
I like most of the content in Unit 4 and agriculture has to be my favourite topic of the 4. Although I'm not too keen on the topic of fishing >.> I find it difficult to formulate answers to the essay questions, not because I suck at writing essays but because I find it hard to explain concepts I am writing about. I'm aiming for a B but I'm not sure whether I will attain it as I have SO many exams this year.

Well good luck! :smile:
Well good luck! :smile:

Thank you! xD Good luck to you too xDD

Quick Reply

Latest