Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The reason I bring this up is because my History teacher mentioned it in our lesson today and we had a talk for 30 minutes about it. Basically a student who is Muslim (you can tell by the surname) has been predicted A's all year for History (the A2 year, I'm AS) and got A's in the class mocks, class tests, homeworks, and other assignment so it was pretty safe to assume that an A was somewhat inevitable for him as he was so good at History - I know everyone can get A at homework but to get them consistently in class on unseen papers isnt chance, its skill and talent in my eyes.

Today the student got his exam results back and got an E! My teacher was very annoyed at this and someone asked him why this was so and he replied (exact words) "An A grade student in my A2 class got an E, I think he got a racist examiner". Naturally we thought he was jumping to conclusions but he pointed out some statistics and it had happened before too all with 'dodgy examiners'. The question I'm asking is do some racist examiners exist and do they let ethnicity cloud their marking of what is essentially a brilliant student? Bear in mind these papers are only marked once by an examiner (our teacher told us this too) but 3 times at AS. Could we be seeing a scandal in marking? Frankly if this is true i think many examiners should be ashamed of themselves and should look for other jobs. If this is true i am disgusted by it and so should the examiners. My teacher is disgusted by it and he hasnt seen too many other ethnic students in his class (History) over the years (22 years as a teacher) and when they do they usually do very bad despite being excellent class performers.

What do you all think?

Dont jump on me

Emma

very very very good point raised there
    your teacher may be jumping to conclusions but still a very good point made

ReputationRep:
    i've got the weirdest name u can imagine and it's never affected my grades!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Aren't they marked anonymously? At uni our papers had a sealed flap to hide student names.
    Here we don't use names for exams at all either (it's all numbers), but at school we always did for public exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I thought it was important to raise such an issue. At first we thought he did jump to conclusions but after 22 years of teaching I'm sure he has more experinece than us and is in a better position to judge, besides he knows lots of examiners so I'm guessing he knows how many of them think too and I bet he's met some real dodgy ones.

I hope some examiners on here take notice of this coz some people seem to be on to them, even teachers lol

ReputationRep:
    Well the best person at politics in the year above got an E on his politics paper, resat it and got an A. Maybe he had a bad day, surely how can the examiner know that the student is racist, having a muslim surname, you can claim you are disccriminated agaisnt by having a double barrelled name. I am not jumping on you, its jsut that there could be otehr exaplanations, plus it really does not make sense for an examiner to be biased on the basis of a name. If the candidate is as good as you claim, it would be possible to see that there is no way that the examiner could attempt to pass off it as E grade work. Get your teacher to ask for the paper back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Aren't they marked anonymously? At uni our papers had a sealed flap to hide student names.
    I though all papers were marked by numbers and not names. Maybe the guy "just had a bad day" He wouldn't be the first person in the world to suffer exam stress and screw up after a good years coursework.

I think it's a bit much to jump at the racist examiner conclusion. Maybe his teacher was crap and was overmarking the guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma2004)
    Dont jump on me
    I wouldn't mind jumping on you!!!

But anyway...back to the topic...i honestly doubt that the examiner marking his exam was racist. It may be that the examiner made a mistake...or even that the guy just mucked up the paper...

if he really wants more info on it...which i'm assuming he probably does...he should ask to have photocopies of his script sent back to him...so a teacher can go over it and see whether or not there is a case for remarking.

G

ReputationRep:
    The examiners won't have a clue what sex, age, or race you are I don't think. I know at university the lecturers don't know who's papers they are marking.

ReputationRep:
    I know there cud be lots of explanations but even my teacher said it was very suspicious. I think he himself is a fair and accurate marker, I'm down as a C/D which is representative of my ability and i can see that my english or analaytical skills arent as good as some of the A/B candidates in my class. To be fair we've (all my class) have been convinced that there are dodgy examiners at OCR. It was the single paper with two questions (appeastment to hitler or something??) and as the questions are the usually the same or very similar i dont think the technique changes too much in answering them. Maybe my judgement is skewed but I'd rather take my teacher's claims of dodgy marking rather than the 'bad day' argument.

ReputationRep:
    well, on the edexcel papers you have your name ans surname as well as your 4 digit number and centre number. say for example, my surname ends in an "ian" and so do like %90 of armenian surnames, so if someone wanted to be racist, they could be racist kos they would know i was armenian. also, for like a history paper, someone might not like your point of view and be racist.

im not saying that the examiner was necessarily racist, as the student might have had a bad day, but it is in my opinion that it could be possible for them to discriminate.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with some points as above, the appearance of exams should be changed.

It should be

Candidate Number
    Centre
    Exam Number
    Subject

No names or signatures or anything. Hopefully that way a more leniant marking system can be operationalised and reduce prejudism (which does exist despite what ppl on here say, how can it not?)

ReputationRep:
    I know there cud be lots of explanations but even my teacher said it was very suspicious. I think he himself is a fair and accurate marker, I'm down as a C/D which is representative of my ability and i can see that my english or analaytical skills arent as good as some of the A/B candidates in my class. To be fair we've (all my class) have been convinced that there are dodgy examiners at OCR. It was the single paper with two questions (appeastment to hitler or something??) and as the questions are the usually the same or very similar i dont think the technique changes too much in answering them. Maybe my judgement is skewed but I'd rather take my teacher's claims of dodgy marking rather than the 'bad day' argument.
    It strikes me that your teacher may be saying it's very suspicious because he/she is extremely embarrassed at marking A all year long only to have an examiner say "sorry, that's a crap exam, this guy's getting an E"

ReputationRep:
    I agree with some points as above, the appearance of exams should be changed.

It should be

Candidate Number
    Centre
    Exam Number
    Subject

No names or signatures or anything. Hopefully that way a more leniant marking system can be operationalised and reduce prejudism (which does exist despite what ppl on here say, how can it not?)
    Prejudice does exist in the world....but can you imagine how odd it would seem if all/many of the exam papers marked by the same examiner were far too low for the actual paper....and it just happened that there was a common factor in the race of the applicants who's papers were given really low marks???

G

ReputationRep:
    I think its an absurd suggestion, and highly irresponsible of your teacher to say that out loud.

ReputationRep:

Howard could be write, but again, especially if it was to do with Hitler, maybe he screwed up by putting somehting dodgy down that offended the examiner. Maybe he just hada bad day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It strikes me that your teacher may be saying it's very suspicious because he/she is extremely embarrassed at marking A all year long only to have an examiner say "sorry, that's a crap exam, this guy's getting an E"
    Possibly...though wouldn't it be easier to blame it on the student doing poorly in the actual exam on the day???

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Bit like a doctor giving someone a medical exam and saying "you're fine" and the guy dropping dead of a heart attack as he leaves the surgery. Embarrassing!

ReputationRep:
    My argument is if my teacher is an accurate (more or less) predictor of grades and someone predicted an A getting a E grades, isnt that highly dubious? I think so. Maybe the examiner was offended but then again he should let that affect his judgment. Its like me writing an essay on what some people think about Muslims and then gettin a Muslim examiner. I doubt he'll judge me on what has been said about Muslims as i am merely quoting a person. He's not gonna say 'Emma Joanna Harrison has offended me, she gets a U despite eing a clever little sod'. Well he could, i dunno, i just i dont get a shoddy result like the A2 student. Poor lad.

ReputationRep:
    My argument is if my teacher is an accurate (more or less) predictor of grades and someone predicted an A getting a E grades, isnt that highly dubious? I think so. Maybe the examiner was offended but then again he should let that affect his judgment. Its like me writing an essay on what some people think about Muslims and then gettin a Muslim examiner. I doubt he'll judge me on what has been said about Muslims as i am merely quoting a person. He's not gonna say 'Emma Joanna Harrison has offended me, she gets a U despite eing a clever little sod'. Well he could, i dunno, i just i dont get a shoddy result like the A2 student. Poor lad.

People will alwyas judge you on your views especially if they appear incorrect and you do not have the time to justify all of them. Tough, even i have to tone down my views in my politicsexams, especially as most examiners are socialsits.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.