Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm

Being a sikh, i put down my full name on the papers : Davinder Singh Bhachu. It would be so easy for someone to look at the name and think, nah this guy is gonna get a max of a c or something regardless of how well i actually perform.

But to be honest i dont really think it happens,

if i do crap its because i didnt do any work, like i got my AS critical thinking result back today, i got an E, basically coz it was **** and i really couldnt be bothered, i have 28 hours of exams in the summer i would rather concentrate on those !!!!

PS emma, u are pretty damn hot !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma2004)
    My argument is if my teacher is an accurate (more or less) predictor of grades and someone predicted an A getting a E grades, isnt that highly dubious? I think so. Maybe the examiner was offended but then again he should let that affect his judgment. Its like me writing an essay on what some people think about Muslims and then gettin a Muslim examiner. I doubt he'll judge me on what has been said about Muslims as i am merely quoting a person. He's not gonna say 'Emma Joanna Harrison has offended me, she gets a U despite eing a clever little sod'. Well he could, i dunno, i just i dont get a shoddy result like the A2 student. Poor lad.
    if i were you, i wouldn't really post my name like that. internet rule No.1, never give out your real name, same goes for 'theycallmemrpig'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    if i were you, i wouldn't really post my name like that. internet rule No.1, never give out your real name, same goes for 'theycallmemrpig'
    Calm down, Many people have their names in their profiles anyway, its not like people can do much with a name, its not like she wrote "Oh my phone number is: 07901756342"
    That would be silly.

ReputationRep:
    Don't exams ever get marked by two people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Calm down, Many people have their names in their profiles anyway, its not like people can do much with a name, its not like she wrote "Oh my phone number is: 07901756342"
    That would be silly.
    no, it is a matter of concern. say if she siad something that someone really didn't like, say something that the other person thought was racist, and decided to do something about it. having her full name, that person might be able to find who she is.

ReputationRep:
    2 people in my history set got E's just returned (edexcel) - both have been predicted A's and have places at Oxbridge. One is of ethnic minority the other is not, so no racism involved there.Seems to be quite a few of these around - my teacher said they can do clerical checks or maybe remark.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SasunD)
    no, it is a matter of concern. say if she siad something that someone really didn't like, say something that the other person thought was racist, and decided to do something about it. having her full name, that person might be able to find who she is.
    :eek:

and then what could they do? find out her address possibly with a bit of luck and a following wind...and that's different from the hundreds of people from the postman to the meter reader knowing her address how?

Even if you give out your phone number online it only increases your risk of dodgy phone calls slightly - nutters are just as likely to pick a number at random from the phone book as to trawl through an internet forum looking for people to stalk.

The only thing you should never post online are your bank details and your passwords for anything

ReputationRep:
    Boys boys, stick to the topic!

Yes about the exam, the marking around AS/A-Level History always seems a wee bit dubious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    My full name is Gary Bryan Davies, my house phone number is 01296 423346 - give me a ring if you like. I dont understand what the big deal is about name/numbers over the internet. Dont be so naive...
    Lol!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Yeah people are paranoid, I don't really know what anyone is going to do with the fantastic knowledge of my full name.

There is obviously no racism amongst examiners. If you are worried about it change your name to John Smith by depol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh and to the actual racism thing, its just people from ethnic minoritys etc pulling the race card once again, its getting quite boring now, I for one dont want the extreme political correctness of the country being extended to exam papers by using numbers only..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Or deed poll
    only ever heard it not seen it lol silly me
    you live and learn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well it works both ways, you wouldn't want someone to receive favouritism for knowing the examiner. What harm can anonymity do?
    Well, I wouldnt actually care in all honesty. Somebody else receiving favourtism doesnt affect me, so...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.