The Student Room Group

From a U to an A?

I'm studying AS Chemistry, I am currently getting U's and E's due to lack of effort (0 revision hours, no past papers done). I got top of my year in grades in year 11, but do you know of anyone (and if so how common is it) who has failed an exam in January, and retaken it in June to get an A?

I know this probably seems obvious, but I'd like to get a clear idea that many have done it before I start revising as it will motivate me.

Reply 1
Of course you can do it, but you're going to actually have to put some effort it into this time around.
Year 11 means nothing. Alevel is all about effort. You haven't put any in, so you won't get the results(which is fair enough).
Reply 3
Original post by .JJ
Of course you can do it, but you're going to actually have to put some effort it into this time around.

Thanks a lot, the person below you was no help at all, and I'm 110% committed this time round. The school won't like try to kick me out or anything will they? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by JamesMartinez
Thanks a lot, the person below you was no help at all, and I'm 110% committed this time round. The school won't like try to kick me out or anything will they? :s-smilie:

That depends on your school, as long as you get the grades you need in Summer (3 Ds at my school) then you should be good.
Reply 5
Original post by .JJ
That depends on your school, as long as you get the grades you need in Summer (3 Ds at my school) then you should be good.

If I get any D's I'm leaving sixth form altogether :s-smilie:

I'm already down to 3 A levels, after dropping English Lit recently, so I'm picking up something next year to make up for it :smile:
Reply 6
Of course you can !

I Believe in You !

(Just Work Hard and you will see a A or B on results day)
Reply 7
Original post by Kutta
Of course you can !

I Believe in You !

(Just Work Hard and you will see a A or B on results day)

Thank you all this means a lot, I have a huge lack of confidence in my ability. :frown:

Also how much will Lancaster (applying for Finance and Economics) mind about me dropping an AS now, and picking another up next year to make up for me not having the extra AS? :smile:

Thanks.
Reply 8
If I get any D's I'm leaving sixth form altogether :s-smilie:

I'm already down to 3 A levels, after dropping English Lit recently, so I'm picking up something next year to make up for it :smile:

Wouldn't blame you, what subjects are you studying?
Reply 9
Original post by .JJ
Wouldn't blame you, what subjects are you studying?

Chemistry, Biology and Economics :smile:

Will Lancaster disregard my application much is my AS level (the one you normally get from your first year) comes in my second year instead? Because I dropped Eng Lit, and will pick up something next year to do at AS level.

:smile:
Reply 10
Thank you all this means a lot, I have a huge lack of confidence in my ability. :frown:

Also how much will Lancaster (applying for Finance and Economics) mind about me dropping an AS now, and picking another up next year to make up for me not having the extra AS? :smile:

Thanks.

Their entry requirements are AAA-AAB, so as long as you perform well enough this year for your school to give you targets of AAA I don't think it will make much difference.
Reply 11
Original post by .JJ
Their entry requirements are AAA-AAB, so as long as you perform well enough this year for your school to give you targets of AAA I don't think it will make much difference.

Thank you! and I am doing ridiculously well in Economics (the most relevant A level) I'm consistently hitting 90%-95% in practice papers, I think it's down to my interest in the field.

But seriously, thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest