hi does anyone know:

how ...

temperature
    length
    amount of electricity passed thru the wire

effect the resistance of a wire?

thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    If the wire is a semiconductor, then the higer the temperature the less resistance, due to the properties of the wire. If it is a conductor, the higher the temperature the more resistance, as there are more thermal vibrations in the wire atoms so the electrons find it harder to get past them.

A wire twice as long if the same as having two resistors in series; you add the resistances. Therefore longer wire is more resistance, since there are more atoms to get past for the electrons.

As for current, it depends whether the wire is ohmic, that is, some objects have a resistance inversely proportional to current (with a constant voltage of course), and some don't.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou, but please could you explain to me what a semiconductor is?

does the fact that i am using nichrome wire help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_999)
    thankyou, but please could you explain to me what a semiconductor is?

does the fact that i am using nichrome wire help.
    semiconductor

n 1: a substance as germanium or silicon whose electrical conductivity is intermediate between that of a metal and an insulator; it increases with temperature and in the presence of impurities 2: a device made with semiconducting material [syn: semiconductor device, semiconductor unit]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCD)
    semiconductor

n 1: a substance as germanium or silicon whose electrical conductivity is intermediate between that of a metal and an insulator; it increases with temperature and in the presence of impurities 2: a device made with semiconducting material [syn: semiconductor device, semiconductor unit]
    Or, in terms you're more likely to understand... semiconductors are materials that have conductivity between conductors and insulators.

Having said that, I'm not clear on the relevance to the nichrome wire experiment. Care to elaborate further?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.