The Student Room Group

Art Foundation Course?

Hey there, excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum or anything, this is my first post :colondollar:

Anyway, I've been looking at various Foundation courses in England, but it's really hard to find out whether they're any good, so I wanted to know if anyone was able to tell me anything about the quality of these courses. I plan on studying either Fine Arts or, which is currently what I am preferring to do without being a hundred percent sure, Illustration and I am hoping for a foundation course to be an opportunity for me to extend my portfolio. Okay, these are the ones I have been thinking of applying for:

- CCW Foundation Diploma in Art + Design (Camberwell)
- City & Guilds of London Art School - Foundation in Art + Design
- Oxford Brookes - Foundation in Art + Design
- Leeds College of Art - Foundation Diploma in Art + Design
- Art + Design Foundation Course (Central Saint Martins)
- The Prince's Drawing School - Fine Art
(edited 11 years ago)
As far as I am aware, universities aren't especially fussy about where you choose to study your foundation course, so theoretically you are no more likely to get on to a degree course afterwards with a diploma from St. Martins than you are with one from your local college. That being said, I'm choosing to do mine at a university, because it might look a bit better on the application and the resources are likely to be more advanced.

During the foundation course, you typically have one term of experimentation and then branch off into your own 'field of expertise.' As you are thinking of carrying on with Fine Art, you are quite fortunate as all foundation courses will include this. If you wanted to go into fields such as animation or architecture, you would probably have to check first whether the university offered these as part of the course. However, the diploma focuses on experimentation so make sure there is lots of diversity, just in case you find a new passion along the way!

In terms of the universities you have listed, the course is going to be very similar at all of them. I would read the specifications, figure out which you would enjoy the most and which locations have the best resources, then primarily base your decision upon that. Camberwell and Central St. Martins are probably going to be the best, as they are part of UAL: the awarding body for the foundation diploma. However, you won't be able to apply to both of them as they are part of the same university. Leeds and Oxford Brookes are also very highly regarded for their foundation course, although you will need to get a move on for Brookes if you are applying this year, as the deadline is January 31st and the application needs to be sent through the post! I don't really know much about the other two places you have listed, as I haven't been looking at many courses in London due to the living costs. As far as I'm aware, City & Guilds is also very good. :smile:

If you need a few more ideas of places to apply to you could try Bournemouth (AUCB), one of the UCAs (they have locations in Epsom, Farnham, Canterbury, Maidstone and Rochester), Falmouth and Kingston. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Michelle*
Hey there, excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum or anything, this is my first post :colondollar:

Anyway, I've been looking at various Foundation courses in England, but it's really hard to find out whether they're any good, so I wanted to know if anyone was able to tell me anything about the quality of these courses. I plan on studying either Fine Arts or, which is currently what I am preferring to do without being a hundred percent sure, Illustration and I am hoping for a foundation course to be an opportunity for me to extend my portfolio. Okay, these are the ones I have been thinking of applying for:

- CCW Foundation Diploma in Art + Design (Camberwell)
- City & Guilds of London Art School - Foundation in Art + Design
- Oxford Brookes - Foundation in Art + Design
- Leeds College of Art - Foundation Diploma in Art + Design
- Art + Design Foundation Course (Central Saint Martins)
- The Prince's Drawing School - Fine Art

EDIT: Gosh, only now realizing that this is the wrong forum. I'll re-post this in the Creative Arts section, if that's alright.

Hi Michelle,

I'm Karen from UCA - I hope you don't mind me responding to your post, just wanted to provide a bit more information regarding UCAs Foundation in Art & Design.

UCA is a collective of smaller, arts-based campuses each focused on specific disciplines, which creates lively creative communities of artists, designers, makers, writers and researchers. If you're interested in Fine Art or Illustration - you could choose to study your degree at a location where Fine Art or Illustration are offered to give you an informed choice for study at degree level.

I've included a few video links below for you to have a look at - and we're here to help - so just call if you need to! Contact any one of us in the enquiries team - we'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Here you go... Promo video about UCA: http://youtu.be/tuB_PH5HzL8
Pre-Degree options across all of our campuses: http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/pre-degree

Good luck with your deliberations and applications :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest