Turn on thread page Beta

Sharing a room at uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBlue)
    Ave Han stop being so ignorant!!!!
    Hatfield are a college on the Bailey in Durham, the Dean once went on a little trip to Rome to see the Pope but if my historical knowledge is accurate then it seems that the leader of the Catholic Church was not best pleased to see him, and responded with a question not unlike your own.

This is all just rumour and speculation of course.

hahaha you should have come to Cuths......... Hatfield??? Bad Luck
    No way...Hatfield was my first choice.

Children, children...calm down!!

ReputationRep:
    I think sharing a room would be very cool.
    What are they like, are they literally shared (one room with two beds) or a room split into two?

ReputationRep:
    after living in hall in a single room there is no way i could ahve coped with a shared room, especially as most of my block just ahvn't gelled at all. Most of us are only just on speaking terms. Out of 12 there are only 3 that i hand around with regulalry and i've fallen out big time with one of them. Out of the rest one girl is a poisonous little toad and we ignore each others and teh rest are fine but we are more of aquaintances than anything else. I don't know hat i would have done sharing with somoone that i didn't get on with. ON the positive side though if you end up hating your room mate, people are always dropping out of uni and you will probably be able to get a transfer fairly quicking... Also if you are sharing just think of all the money tou will save.

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt share a room because:

Being 23 I have done the "piss it up away from home" thing already and if the other person was a dosser who was just there for three easy years it would annoy the hell out of me.

I dont want someone else dictating when I can sleep.

I dont want someone else hindering my opportunity for private study.

I may want some *private time* with my girlfriend (or another female student for a matter of fact )

If the other person smoked it would annoy the hell out of me.

As a result of all of the above I would probably end up moving out!

Sharing a room *could* be fun but IMHO the chances of it not working out are greter than the chances of a happy tennancy.

ReputationRep:
    Simply if you find it difficult to share don't share, especially if you have a short temper

ReputationRep:
    Some people I know here, if I had ended up sharing a room with them, well... One of us would have died. Probably them - stabbed to death with their own crappy CD's and buried under a mountain of their dirty washing up.

ReputationRep:
    My friend did a room share in her first year and her roommate always had her boyfriend over so my friend would come back from lectures and not be able to go in her room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    My friend did a room share in her first year and her roommate always had her boyfriend over so my friend would come back from lectures and not be able to go in her room.
    Why? Was it becuase her flat mate and co. were studying so hard, that your friend did not wish to break their concentration?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations for getting a place in Hatfield. You'll love it!

I studied there a few years ago and was in Church Street, a block of 10 twin rooms across the road from PG. I loved it. As far as I can remember most people I knew got on well with their room-mates, although obviously there were a few who didn't. Hatfield is quite good at matching people, and if you REALLY don't get on then it is usually possible to switch with others in a similar position.

The thing to remember is that most people will really WANT to get on with their roommate, so will try to be accomodating - if you don't try to annoy them, they will probably do their best to not annoy you ( at least until your terrible taste in music / partner / hygiene ticks them off ... )

I really got on well with my room-mate, and still see him regularly - along with nearly everyone from my block. We spent almost the whole first year as a big group and I lived with three of them in a shared house in my second year.

In short - if it works, having a room-mate is really great, if it doesn't there's usually something you can do about it, and anyway, you might not have to share a room - you could end up in Bailey House.....

LGFA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    So you've definately decided to go to Durham lilsunflower? For law? which college?
    Yeppers. St. Johns.. one of the smallest colleges. I made it my "firm" and only decision today.

I'm quite scared of sharing a room now after all these stories! Boo... esp since I'm one of those EXTREMELY hygienic people who can't tolerate bad smells and the likes! Lolz.. ah well.. as long as my stuff doesn't get nicked or ruin, I'll be thankful.

ReputationRep:
    It just seems so impractical.
    What if I have to get up at 7.30 for a lecture and have a shower, what do I do, get dressed in the dark? Or in the bathroom and hold everyone elae up? And I don't think my roomate would be too chuffed with the sound of a hairdryer at that time in the morning.
    Everyone has funny little habits - I don't want someone there 24/7 - let's face it you'd get no privacy to be in your PJs, kiss your busted posters, cut your toenails or whatever you want to do! Seriously, you couldn't just put music on when you wanted to or work in to the wee hours.
    I also think it's ridiculous yuo pay the same amount for a shared room as you do for a double!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    Yeah, that's the thing that worried me. I'm quite a private person and i can get irritated if i'm surrounded by people against my will. I often need my 'alone' time, especially after spending time on a Gap year!
    On the other hand, i love to make friends..and having support like that in your first year could be useful and fun...
    :eek: I couldn't cope with sharing a room ever!!! No way!! I already live in a place in halls with 8 other people and at least I can escape to my room when I need time alone/theyr'e driving me nuts. Even then it is not enough, when you get knocks on your door etc!! It's taken me til my second year to not feel guilty about ignoring the knocks if I want to be alone!! I stay on campus because practically it's easier, bills, lectures, library etc but what gets to me is the fact that people can find you any time they want!! They can knock!!!Aaaargh!!! I'm just a hermit really.... But yeah, when you're an adult you need your privacy, sharing a room as a little girl is fine, but when you're a grown woman....(or man)......y'know?

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't like to share, im selfish in that kind of area and i speak to myself and wouldn't want people to hear me

ReputationRep:
    I have been to National Service (Army), I have shared bunk with 9 other people. It really ain't that bad. We cracked jokes etc, the social element is there. You get to experience different cultures of others, good and bad all into one.

You also get free consultions and advices. And experience sharing session is wonderful.

I would say the most down-side to sharing a room, would be the difficulty to fall asleep. They are so noisy.... and sleep at around 1 am everyday... which is probably quite bad.... because i am an early sleeper.

Another disadvantage would be that it's also quite hard to concentrate on studying in the afternoon as you are probably tempted in participating in their activities.

As for conflicts, i am happy to say that there aren't much to speak of.

So i'd say that maybe sharing a room with another person is not such a bad idea, considering i have shared with 9 others. It would be good that both are considerate and takes into account each other's feeling. That would be wonderful!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.