Turn on thread page Beta

Difficulty of self-teaching P3 and possibly M2 watch

ReputationRep:
    I did not take further maths this year as I was keen to do 5 AS levels (Maths, Economics, History, Latin, English). I am now looking likely to be dropping the last two and am considering taking Further Maths to AS level. I have taken P1 and will be sitting P2, M1 and S1 in June. I'm no genius but got a * at GCSE and an A in P1. I have found single maths slow at times and always relaxed and my teacher reckons I could read these two modules in the Summer with a little help. However from what I have heard P3 and M2 are very taxing and it would be difficult. I don't mind a challenge but don't want to be in a position where I am finding that I simply can't understand the material. Further Maths would be useful as I am looking towards an Economics based course at Uni, quite possibly PPE.

So how tough would it be to do this?

ReputationRep:
    M2 is fairly straightforward if you're fine with M1, I self taught myself it in a couple of weeks (and i don't do physics A-level, which would make it even easier) and my mark was fairly respectible (an A).

P3, likewise, except you need to be confident of your pure maths ability, if you've got a * and find normal maths quite easy, you'll be fine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    M2 is fairly straightforward if you're fine with M1, I self taught myself it in a couple of weeks (and i don't do physics A-level, which would make it even easier) and my mark was fairly respectible (an A).

P3, likewise, except you need to be confident of your pure maths ability, if you've got a * and find normal maths quite easy, you'll be fine...
    m2 is very easy...no probs there

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be easier to self teach P3 than M2 personally, but I guess it's all subjective. Go for it, won't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself two thirds of the Edexcel P3 module, since my teacher didn't finish teaching the module in time and I wanted to take the summer exam instead of waiting for the January series. This was against the strong advice of the chief examiner, whom I had met. I got 74/100 in the end, which is a good thing since this gave me an overall A at AS-level and made me stand out.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need a lot of P2 to learn P3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes. Maths is a linear subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes, certainly.

Chain rule, exponentials, radians, circle theorem, there's more but my mind's black. I really wouldn't recommend it because you need to be extremely flexible in your calculus techniques by the time you sit pure3, if you find yourself integrating something by parts and then by substitution and using all sorts of trig identities you don't want to be going "er, how do I differentiate e^-x again? =|"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    I did not take further maths this year as I was keen to do 5 AS levels (Maths, Economics, History, Latin, English). I am now looking likely to be dropping the last two and am considering taking Further Maths to AS level. I have taken P1 and will be sitting P2, M1 and S1 in June. I'm no genius but got a * at GCSE and an A in P1. I have found single maths slow at times and always relaxed and my teacher reckons I could read these two modules in the Summer with a little help. However from what I have heard P3 and M2 are very taxing and it would be difficult. I don't mind a challenge but don't want to be in a position where I am finding that I simply can't understand the material. Further Maths would be useful as I am looking towards an Economics based course at Uni, quite possibly PPE.

So how tough would it be to do this?

i self taught M1 & M2(did it in a week)

i did well in other (teacher-taught) maths modules, 96-average

M2 all i did was a couple of past papers.....i only got 57 in the exam.

to do well you need the ability to put in the work, i didn't

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.