Turn on thread page Beta

An offer to tempory fix the server problems. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have some webspace which I would allow people to host their avators on rather than hosting them on UKL. This will greatly reduce the required banddwidth and may solve the problem.

If you want me to host it simply send me your avator and I will stick it up on my site then give you the URL for your avator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I have some webspace which I would allow people to host their avators on rather than hosting them on UKL. This will greatly reduce the required banddwidth and may solve the problem.

If you want me to host it simply send me your avator and I will stick it up on my site then give you the URL for your avator.
    I can only host around 20 at the most, but even then I would need to watch my bandwidth limits.

ReputationRep:
    that won't work sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    that won't work sorry.
    haha.... btw, what is the bottleneck? The server's hardware? I can't imagine it's the bandwidth -- Rackspace is on some pretty excellent backbones.

ReputationRep:
    but if each avator is 20k each and they are being downloaded all the time it most the servers badwidth is taken up by the graphics and the actualy text or itself. The actual mySQL database won't use that much bandwidth as it is very efficient.

ReputationRep:

How the heck could this possibly work? When you select the URL for your avatar the server downloads and hosts it. If you could just link your avatar to any URL, you could make it is large as you liked!!

ReputationRep:
    but if each avator is 20k each and they are being downloaded all the time it most the servers badwidth is taken up by the graphics and the actualy text or itself. The actual mySQL database won't use that much bandwidth as it is very efficient.
    Again, but this time in understandable English please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    How the heck could this possibly work? When you select the URL for your avatar the server downloads and hosts it. If you could just link your avatar to any URL, you could make it is large as you liked!!
    No the server just checks that the diemensions are 50*50 or what ever. Its just forum software that does. Images can be hosted externaly, if you right click on some avators you will see the proper URLs of them.

The forum software just displays the images from what ever the URL is, wether thats uklearning.net or an external host.

ReputationRep:
    Again, but this time in understandable English please.
    If you don't understand that then its clear you don't know what you are talking about. I am doing a degree in the internet so I am think I am quite qualified on these matters.

ReputationRep:
    No the server just checks that the diemensions are 50*50 or what ever. Its just forum software that does. Images can be hosted externaly, if you right click on some avators you will see the proper URLs of them.

The forum software just displays the images from what ever the URL is, wether thats uklearning.net or an external host.
    Bollox.. a normal user cannot have their avatar link to an external URL. It even says this in the User CP "You can enter an URL of your avatar.
    Note this will be stored locally on the server". If you show me one normal user who has an avatar stored externally I'll eat my hat

It makes sense if you think about it -- if the image could be hosted externally, there's nothing to stop you replacing it with a huge image and ****ing up threads.

ReputationRep:
    Bollox.. a normal user cannot have their avatar link to an external URL. It even says this in the User CP "You can enter an URL of your avatar.
    Note this will be stored locally on the server". If you show me one normal user who has an avatar stored externally I'll eat my hat

It makes sense if you think about it -- if the image could be hosted externally, there's nothing to stop you replacing it with a huge image and ****ing up threads.
    No because I as I said the forum software checks simply checks the size, its just a simple PHP function and if its bigger it won't accept it.

I am going to change my avator now and put it on my server to show you what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't understand that then its clear you don't know what you are talking about. I am doing a degree in the internet so I am think I am quite qualified on these matters.
    I didn't understand a word of what you said. Perhaps if you were to re-read it, you might understand. Having read your posts, I can confidently say I know more about most things internet related than you. I have to say, I don't think much of the course you're on either. Thankfully, I'm not doing a "degree in the internet".

ReputationRep:
    No because I as I said the forum software checks simply checks the size, its just a simple PHP function and if its bigger it won't accept it.

I am going to change my avator now and put it on my server to show you what I mean.
    haha ... I can't wait for the result I know for full well the PHP script checks the dimensions of the image having downloaded the image already.

This is really quite simple --- the PHP script cannot continually check the dimensions of an externally-hosted image ad infinitum, which would be necessary if it didn't store them locally! hahahaha

ReputationRep:

Image source : http://www.uk-learning.net/customava...atar7737_4.gif

That doesn't seem to be coming off your server.
    haha, you suck .

If you look at your logs, you'll notice that a computer (with a similar IP address to uk-learning.net) downloaded the image!!

ReputationRep:
    ok so this forum does store them localy but other forums that are based on the same software do allow you store them externaly. That is what the problem is. Its these avators that are using up all the bandwidth.

ReputationRep:
    ok so this forum does store them localy but other forums that are based on the same software do allow you store them externaly. That is what the problem is. Its these avators that are using up all the bandwidth.

hohohoho... how about you apologize. Your great idea to help the server was completely and utterly flawed. And you tell me you're qualified on these matters. Puhhleeesse

ReputationRep:
    hohohoho... how about you apologize. Your great idea to help the server was completely and utterly flawed. And you tell me you're qualified on these matters. Puhhleeesse
    Hey don't be mean, he was only trying to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I don't believe the avatars are contributing too much - they are cached by your browser (hopefully) so only require a one download per session. Hitting refresh won't cause the avatars to be downloaded again.
    But what about the machines that have caching turned off. I have to have mine turned off because you can imagine its nightmare when you're working on scripts and it caches it everytime especialy when working with java.

I just can't see how its just text causing this problem, I know this site gets loads of traffic but this site also has a lot of bandwidth allowance.

Maybe it is just being caused by the constant refreshes.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't think it's the avatars. it seems to me that this software seems to call a million mySQL threads just to do things like "similiar threads" "search" ...listing the previous posts on the reply screens, to find relevant advertising links etc. I don't really know much about hardcore threading issues, but perhaps a hyperthreading processor would be effective in coping with it, or perhaps if things like search, and related threads etc were disabled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Give the man a break, he's trying to help.
    I was only so harsh because he said this -- "If you don't understand that then its clear you don't know what you are talking about". It turns out he doesn't know what he was talking about.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.