Supinda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is no point in comparing Oxford Brookes against Oxford university. That would be like comparing Oxford to Reading or to Bath. They are not 'Oxford' either. Compare Brookes to a non Oxbridge university and you will find it rates excellently overall. It's been awarded the best modern university for the 10th year in a row now and it's such a shame that it happens to be located in Oxford, because I believe it would get a lot more clout if it wasn't. I go to Brookes and I absolutely love it. The support is fantastic and I have made a ton of friends...and I'm only in my first year.

Go visit an open day, see for yourself and talk to the staff and students.

Good luck.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Thenearlyguy)
I'm really confused by it, it has brilliant stats such as in the top 401-450 bracket in the world
How is that a brilliant stat? There's a reason the top 200 are released with figures...
Aristotle's' Disciple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Supinda)
There is no point in comparing Oxford Brookes against Oxford university. That would be like comparing Oxford to Reading or to Bath. They are not 'Oxford' either. Compare Brookes to a non Oxbridge university and you will find it rates excellently overall.
You think Oxford Brookes is as good as Bath :rolleyes: No, and no. Still a good university, but not great.
Supinda
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
You think Oxford Brookes is as good as Bath :rolleyes: No, and no. Still a good university, but not great.
If you had read my post properly, you would see that I did not say that. I compared it to Oxbridge, to which there really is no comparison.

How would you define 'good' and 'great'? So Bath is a great university but Brookes is 'only' good? On what grounds?

I go to Brookes and thus my opinion is probably biased. I coincidentally lived in Bath for 3 years and although i absolutely love the city, i disagree that Bath university is better.

To the original poster: I have worked at Oxford university for the last 5 years ( I am old-ish I suppose) and in my experience having sat on several interviewing panels, a degree is a degree. Go to the uni you want to go to and get as much work experience you can manage to get in 3 years. if you do so, i promise you that your choice of university will not matter and your cv will be on the top of the pile.

Again, good luck.

godnose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlscope)
Definitely won't be able to use Oxford's libraries, each college has a different system but you've gotta have a code or a keycard to get into any of them, which you only get by being a member of that college.
Although, if you befriend an Oxonian, they might be willing to loan out some books for you.
You can use the Oxford libraries. You might have to get a form from Brookes and get it signed by a tutor or something like that to get a card. My friend just did this.

I just paid for a private membership. £25 for 6 months or something like that.
Aristotle's' Disciple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Supinda)
If you had read my post properly, you would see that I did not say that. I compared it to Oxbridge, to which there really is no comparison.
But Bath, Reading and Oxford Brookes fall into three different catergories, Bath is a top 10 university, with very good employment prospects, I could go on to show stats but won't. How can you think of them on par?! I suppose you think Brooke is just as good as Nottingham/York etc too :rolleyes:
Supinda
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But Bath, Reading and Oxford Brookes fall into three different catergories, Bath is a top 10 university, with very good employment prospects, I could go on to show stats but won't. How can you think of them on par?! I suppose you think Brooke is just as good as Nottingham/York etc too :rolleyes:
If you want to go by a ranks table, then yes, absolutely Bath scores higher. But you still fail to understand my point, which was that you cant establish the merit of a university by comparing it to Oxford. The question was not whether or not Brookes was a top 10 university, it was how well it is regarded, it is good for certain courses etc. And I think it is as well as fully capable of providing excellent job opportunities as well. In my experience it is highly respected and as I have a first hand experience of the campus and courses taught, I can only say that I am very satisfied.

And please don't suppose anything about me. I respect your opinions but kindly disagree. You can roll your eyes at that too my friend.

Thenearlyguy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How is that a brilliant stat? There's a reason the top 200 are released with figures...
top 500 in THE WORLD is very good
0xygen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a friend who's currently attending Oxford Brookes, she loves it.

It is definitely respected.
0xygen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Reading and Oxford Brookes aren't that different, look at the entry standards then look at the employability statistics. Brookes "STATISTICS" show that 9/10 students get employed or continue studying after graduation...

Statistics mean nothing, I have a friend who graduated from UCL and got a job with **** pay...

Another friend graduated from King's College with a physics degree and is currently unemployed.
Aristotle's' Disciple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0xygen)
Reading and Oxford Brookes aren't that different, look at the entry standards then look at the employability statistics. Brookes "STATISTICS" show that 9/10 students get employed or continue studying after graduation...

Statistics mean nothing, I have a friend who graduated from UCL and got a job with **** pay...

Another friend graduated from King's College with a physics degree and is currently unemployed.
Fair enough, I won't argue the point further, if you like Oxford Brookes, go to Oxford Brookes, it's your life and I have no right to judge or scrutinise it.
Pikeman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just to say Oxford Brookes now has a QS world ranking of 374 - (see online and latest Sunday Times tables) - so quite respectable I would think?
TheflyingOwl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it is the top of the modern Unis, not bad for undergraduate history but i would NOT advise you to stay there for postgraduate research in history. the department is too small, the supervisors are not that good, difficult to work with and unsympathetic especially dr.katherine watson
vanillatea94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Brookes is an excellent university. It has a good reputation and the student experience is good. I'm having an amazing time anyway!
Keyenesian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
TSR not the best place to look for an un-biased review
grapesfarmer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd like opinions especially on the Dept of Planning at Oxford Brookes?

I have been in software development for a few years and now I am interested in Urban Development and Planning. On the lookout for a program that trains me in the broader context of urbanization and also prepares me on specific skills in one of themes like housing and/or mobility.

Thanks.
maryamzahid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I applied to Oxford Brookes for Law knowing that the department was really good for subjects like mine. When I went to the applicant day earlier this year, I could see how overall, Brookes wasn't that good of a Uni as I thought it was. Now this is just my opinion and many people may disagree but that's fine. I liked the place where Brookes is as the campus is very pretty. The city is lively and vibrant and you can find many places to go for a night out. The accommodation is really good which is probably because its a newer university. The reason why I didn't choose Brookes though was because of the course. Like I said before, I knew that law was really good at Brookes and I had been to an open day way back in 2012 to see this for myself, at the applicant day, I had felt that when speaking to some students and lecturers, they had no clue what they were saying. Not only that, I found that the entire department was slightly unorganised and I didn't like the atmosphere. Also, for me, I found everything slightly expensive and coming from the North, I was not used to high prices (ahem £4.79 for a cheese and tomato Panini?). Despite all the great things Brookes has to offer, I couldn't see myself there. However, a friend of mine loves the place so it really depends on the person and the course you pick also, I wouldn't base your judgement solely on other peoples opinion, you have to go down there and experience the place yourself.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's good among the ex-polys. Some would say the best.
caroline hobbs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I studied at Oxford Brookes University, I also studies at two other universities and my personal experience was that Oxford Brookes well surpassed anything the other two universities provided in way of education, facilities, support, enjoyability and friendliness. If my child were to choose to go to university I'd feel happy and reassured if they chose Brookes. The university is known for doing all in their power to support students getting their degree. Freethining and often radical, I remember the poster I saw put up on graduation day...'every Oxford Brookes graduate has the capability to change the world for the better'. A healthy philosophy me thinks.
eaglestone
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
[QUOTE=Thenearlyguy;40924784]is it a good uni in terms of respected

is it good for law

history
international relations or politics?

is it regarded highly by people such as employers etc

jsut generally how good is it? is the only thing bad about it the social stigma that it isnt the real oxford?[/QUOTE

Reply: It's an ex-polytechnic so has that stigma...not really top notch lecturers; arrogant pompous lecturers ;poorly regarded by employers; a bit of a joke in the city of Oxford itself; very poor in admin of students e.g mix up in names, finance, accommodation, courses etc.

Best to avoid it , and go to a "proper " university, a university that's always been a university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Oxford Brookes University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19