Turn on thread page Beta

Do universities use UMS at all when making offers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Or do they just look at grades?

ReputationRep:
    I think they just go of grades.

ReputationRep:
    Only Cambridge, who will also have a good look through your UMS.

ReputationRep:
    I phoned Warwick Uni this week after getting 90/90UMS in Govt&Pol module 4. I was given a genuinely positive reaction from the admissions tutor, who strongly implied that UMS marks made a big difference. In fact, while I do not wish to tempt fate (!!), I was told that my 90/90UMS may well be the deciding factor when it comes to considering my application, I was directly told that it out weighted being 'Head Boy' or something similar in school.

Also, when I visited LSE last year they told us that they get all exam results and look for UMS marks over 90% as a good indicator of the sort of student that they are seeking.

I hope that this helps,

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    I phoned Warwick Uni this week after getting 90/90UMS in Govt&Pol module 4. I was given a genuinely positive reaction from the admissions tutor, who strongly implied that UMS marks made a big difference. In fact, while I do not wish to tempt fate (!!), I was told that my 90/90UMS may well be the deciding factor when it comes to considering my application, I was directly told that it out weighted being 'Head Boy' or something similar in school.

Also, when I visited LSE last year they told us that they get all exam results and look for UMS marks over 90% as a good indicator of the sort of student that they are seeking.

I hope that this helps,

Tom
    Hold on a sec, how do they know your UMS? I know at Cambridge you have to fill out at first but I haven't heard of any such form at other UK institutions.

ReputationRep:

I hope that this helps,

Tom
    seriously? i'm definitely sending off my as physics results to all my unis now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Hold on a sec, how do they know your UMS? I know at Cambridge you have to fill out at first but I haven't heard of any such form at other UK institutions.
    Nearly all UK universities arrange to get exam results from the exam boards.. I'm sure that they will have done this on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    seriously? i'm definitely sending off my as physics results to all my unis now.
    Yes! Anyone that gets good results and doesn't phone/write/e-mail their univerisities is stupid! Make sure they know, and give them the UMS as well.

Yes! Anyone that gets good results and doesn't phone/write/e-mail their univerisities is stupid! Make sure they know, and give them the UMS as well.
    Or they know that the uni's already have access to the marks...

ReputationRep:
    Nearly all UK universities arrange to get exam results from the exam boards.. I'm sure that they will have done this on Thursday
    Oh sorry, not for january modules but for the AS grades i took last june and put down on my UCAS.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.