The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Golden Maverick
What do those of you at Oxbridge think are good things to take with you when you go?

Same as you would for any other university.
Thats what I mean, what would you take to any Uni?
Helenia
Same as you would for any other university.

But doesn't it affect your options that you will probably have to haul it back and forth between your college and whereever you spend your time out of term?
Reply 4
Toaster, kettle, microwave, hi-fi (tv if you're brave).
Clothes......
Creature comforts....
Your dads visa card and pin (make sure he's not looking :wink: )
Reply 5
slippers
flip flops
laundry bag
clothes horse
dustpan and brush!!!
sandwich baggies
a very very good halogen lamp
a mouse to put on your laptop is you have one
wine glasses - drinking wine out of a cup is not nice
board games (a couple, will make a good fun free evening)
febreze!
a throw for your bed to make it into a sofa for friends to sit on

>>> some less-thought-of things :smile:
blissy

sandwich baggies

>>> some less-thought-of things :smile:

Nice post and all sound like good ideas, I can understand most of them but sandwich baggies?
Reply 7
Golden Maverick
Nice post and all sound like good ideas, I can understand most of them but sandwich baggies?

Little plastic bags for putting sandwiches in. Very useful for many things, including sandwiches!
Reply 8
Golden Maverick

Yeah - you never really know how useful they are! I for one can never be arsed with clingfilm so they're great for bunging stuff in to go in the fridge (e.g. sliced lemon, slices of carrot and celery - but I suppose I'm odd in liking lemon in all my drinks of water etc).

Don't forget tomato ketchup!

edit: good for lots of stuff you open and need to contain. e.g. sugar / teabags and things. :smile:
Reply 9
nice bedding
torch - candles are banned and if there's a power cut you'll want to have some light
pen knife
corkscrew
cheap plates/glasses etc
towel
dressing gown
Cushions. Cushions are good. As are pots and pans. And you might need ID for cards and things.

And I can't believe it took 7 hours for someone to mention a corkscrew...
Reply 11
OOOOO in your freshers pack they say to bring about 8 passport photos. Do - I've never seen a photo booth in cambridge but it would be such an inconvenience to have to get them done when you're here!

Ream of printing paper

coffee whitener for when you run out of milk (it's not tooooo bad)

Bring all your usually stationery (pens,paper, scissors, sellotape etc) but also: paper clips - often overlooked, but very useful. same with rubber bands OOOO yes and address labels - excellent for re-using envelopes, labelling things (!) and good if you run out of sellotape...

I would suggest a book chair (like a little deck chair for a book). You can get them in Cam if you can't get them before. it saves a LOT o neck strain if you are making notes out of a big book!

Shoe boxes are useful for putting bits and bobs in if your room happens to only have two drawers (like mine!).

A cold/hot pack is useful - cold for headaches and hot for those chilly Cam evenings (don't get THOSE in New Hall though! LOL). I also have a fridge in my room, but wait till after the first tterm to see if you'll need one.
Reply 12
blissy
OOOOO in your freshers pack they say to bring about 8 passport photos. Do - I've never seen a photo booth in cambridge but it would be such an inconvenience to have to get them done when you're here!

There was one in Woolies, but then they shut woolies because they thought we'd want a bigger Next. I mean wtf! :mad:
Don't know where there is a booth at all now, though I do believe Jessops do them with an ordinary camera thing if you needed them.

Alaric.
Reply 13
Alaric
There was one in Woolies, but then they shut woolies because they thought we'd want a bigger Next. I mean wtf! :mad:
Don't know where there is a booth at all now, though I do believe Jessops do them with an ordinary camera thing if you needed them.

Alaric.

There is one in the post office near to Robert Sayle, and one in Boots, but that's never working. I had to get more done for my Red Cross training this term and had a bit of a trek around Cambridge to find one, with the result that I was marvellously dishevilled by the time I got there! :rolleyes:

Blissy, I want a book chair! Where do you get them? Oh, and as well as stationery, get floppy disks or some other storage thingy, if you're going to use computers a lot.
I'm worried about bringing all my books up with me (If I get a place). Do the rooms have bookshelves in them? I have loads of scores and books with my notes in them and I don't like being away from them for long.

MB
blissy

Camridge Station, Graphton Centre (By McDonalds), Main Post Office, Main Boots in centre of town,
Reply 16
musicboy
Do the rooms have bookshelves in them?

That's a remarkably silly question.

Do you really think they'd be foolish enough to not give people bookshelves when they expect you to do a lot of reading?
Reply 17
Golden Maverick
What do those of you at Oxbridge think are good things to take with you when you go?

A computer is almost essential.
Alaric
That's a remarkably silly question.

Do you really think they'd be foolish enough to not give people bookshelves when they expect you to do a lot of reading?

Erm, yes?
None of the rooms at non-cambridge unis I have seen had book cases, and Im sure they expect their people to read a lot as well....most just had a shelf or two over the desk - type - thing. So unless you have been to a cambridge room you would not necessarily know they had bookcases, cos it seems not many othrs do!

rsoie
Reply 19
[

Blissy, I want a book chair! Where do you get them? Oh, and as well as stationery, get floppy disks or some other storage thingy, if you're going to use computers a lot.

Try upstairs in Waterstones. I bought one there just before Christmas. Expensive for what is essentially a scaled down deckchair - although less colourful.

Latest

Trending

Trending