The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge allow resits for AS?

Hi all,

I just got a conditional offer to read Natural Sciences (Physical) at Cambridge. I'm from Malaysia and the academic year starts in January, which means that I'm doing the A-levels (I'm doing the CIE A-levels btw) for only 18 months. I just took the AS exams in November 2012 and will know my results on January 22nd. The requirements of my offer are A*A*AA and the two A*s have to come from Further Maths and Chemistry. Say if I didn't do well enough in AS Chemistry and I want to resit the exam in May with A2 Chemistry to bring my grade up from A to A*, will this be frowned upon by Cambridge?

Any advice on this matter will be well appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by jysim123
Hi all,

I just got a conditional offer to read Natural Sciences (Physical) at Cambridge. I'm from Malaysia and the academic year starts in January, which means that I'm doing the A-levels (I'm doing the CIE A-levels btw) for only 18 months. I just took the AS exams in November 2012 and will know my results on January 22nd. The requirements of my offer are A*A*AA and the two A*s have to come from Further Maths and Chemistry. Say if I didn't do well enough in AS Chemistry and I want to resit the exam in May with A2 Chemistry to bring my grade up from A to A*, will this be frowned upon by Cambridge?

Any advice on this matter will be well appreciated! :smile:

Cambridge is quite comfortable with applicants retaking a few AS/A2 units

"We recognise that even the best students can have “bad” days and therefore we are not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake a couple of units for which the results obtained are clearly “blips”.
We would be concerned about an applicant who seldom seems to have “good” days and is therefore retaking large numbers of units, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control explained in their UCAS reference."
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/requirements.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest