The Student Room Group

Physics for Petroleum Engineering?

Hi everyone :P

I've been browsing around for a while but finally got to courage to join and participate in this wonderful community :smile: Anyways my question is, I'm currently in AS considering my options and one of my choices is Petroleum Engineering. I study Chemistry, Mathematics and Sociology at the moment and was wondering if Physics is required for this? I mean it isn't stated in alot of university websites but I have seen Chemistry and Mathematics being specified (University of Manchester, for e.g.) so just wanted to know whether or not the fact that studying Physics only at GCSE level and not doing it at A-Level would be a disadvantage for me and if I'd struggle with this course at university?

Thanks,
Federation
Reply 1
nope physics is not required although would be helpful :smile: i applied for petroleum engineering without physics just chem and maths are sufficient enough.. having no physics will NOT be a disadvantage but you might struggle in the physics modules in engineering
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your response :smile:

How many modules of Physics are there? Because I cannot find a course structure and study details on any university website...
Reply 3
sorry for the late reply .. im not sure dude but the physics you need is mechanics basically and sometimes a bit more ut usually just simple physics
Reply 4
Judging from Sharks response, it seems GCSE Physics is sufficient and maybe some reading up on A-Level Physics won't hurt? Maybe you could consider a foundation year to fill the gaps in your knowledge that you may have. I'm sure your uni will go over it and you shouldn't have a problem :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Chohan
Judging from Sharks response, it seems GCSE Physics is sufficient and maybe some reading up on A-Level Physics won't hurt? Maybe you could consider a foundation year to fill the gaps in your knowledge that you may have. I'm sure your uni will go over it and you shouldn't have a problem :smile:

Does anybody actually have an answer to the question asked by OP?
Reply 6
??
Reply 7
trust me physics would come in handy, maybe do it up to as level because A2 physics is not as related towards engineering but as unit one does have quite a bit that is important to engineering. physics isn't needed for petroleum eng, but it would be good to have it, it will make you a better candidate through the ucas process , just make sure you get the grade in chem and maths, also doing further maths will help you , especially the mechanics and further pure modules.
Reply 8
Original post by MOTORMADX
trust me physics would come in handy, maybe do it up to as level because A2 physics is not as related towards engineering but as unit one does have quite a bit that is important to engineering. physics isn't needed for petroleum eng, but it would be good to have it, it will make you a better candidate through the ucas process , just make sure you get the grade in chem and maths, also doing further maths will help you , especially the mechanics and further pure modules.

Ah right, thank you for your responses. I am currently studying AS Mathematics and I will do Mechanics 1 after I do Statistics 1. I do not have the option to do Physics at the moment but I was hoping that isn't necessary. Are you studying Pet. Engineering by any chance? Do you reckon I should consider a foundation year, solely because I have only studied Physics to GCSE standard? Would it even help?

Thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by federation
Ah right, thank you for your responses. I am currently studying AS Mathematics and I will do Mechanics 1 after I do Statistics 1. I do not have the option to do Physics at the moment but I was hoping that isn't necessary. Are you studying Pet. Engineering by any chance? Do you reckon I should consider a foundation year, solely because I have only studied Physics to GCSE standard? Would it even help?

Thanks.

no physics isnt hugely important but it would come in handy when you are learning the basics about engineering in first year. i am A2 student applying for engineering, i known alot of people who applied to chem eng and got in with out physics. it would not hinder your application at all, just do well in your alevels, try to do further maths instead of physics maybe, further maths will help you alot in first year.
Reply 10
Judging from everyone's comments, I'm guessing Maths needs to be second nature? If your not 'excellent' at Maths then this is no degree for you..

There does not seem to be such an emphasis on Physics but more on the Chemistry/Mathematics/Geology side from universities.

Quick Reply

Latest