Black Looks LTD (Business Unit 2/3)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Fred
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[Rant alert]

Does anyone else find this case study a little alienating.

I mean first it appeals to girls (Well they are almost women, I suppose.) Then it only appeals to people who know stuff about cosmetics. And finally to top it of, and what must be the most de-meaing and patronising part of the whole case study, is the 'make up shop catered for black people.'

Quite a few people at my college have complained about the last one, and yes they are mostly black (afro-carrebian).

The point is why does AQA write up alienating material, that is only slightly patronising to certain social groups.

Anyway good luck with your exams.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, the first two i agree with wholehartedly, but the third i disagree with. The fact is that a specific race of person, and it stating as much was important for the socio-demographics of the study.
I agree that it may possibly alienate people, but it wasnt meant to, and was the main point of the study in discovering a niche.
In future i hope they choose neutral things for their studies, such as magazines (TV, Video, DVD etc, not lifestyle, fashion, sport), newspapers, food etc, or maybe creating two studies which we can choose from.

Thankfully, i was able to look at it objectively, and not intentionally alienate myself from it, and i aced the first paper, as i revised for a magazine and confectionary companies, as i believed they were most likely to come up .
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Well thankfully the paper hardly made an issue about Cosmetics, which was nice of them, however I managed to sneak that in on the last question about stakeholders. (Pressure groups against animal testing.)

I thought AQA unit 3 was fairly easy, and hopefully I'll get a better grade for it this year, than I did the first time around.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, i didnt think of that at all.
I mainly talked about the difference between mutually exclusive aims, and possible consultation between them, using examples from the case study. I treated the cosmetic theme as unimportant really.
Well, i haven't ever got lower than a B, and when i revise for more than 10 minutes, i always get an A, so im not worried
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I also made it clear that most shareholders would care more about making a profit because it means they get more money in divendend form and the share price usually rises so they may make money by selling the shares. I compared that to employees who just want good working conditions, job security/satisfaction and suitable pay.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well that was rather obvious i thought, so i didn't spend much time on it as a general issue.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Actually it's a big issue, that's why RailTrack crashed (literally)....
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, and i did write about it, but to get the high marks you need to do more than just pick up the obvious.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[moderated - section deleted].you cannot say you have aced a test. [moderated - section deleted], I didn't think the exam was hard or easy but I wouldn't go shouting round what I thought I'd got...you can't tell...depends on the examiner.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads