Want more information about this university?
Fabulous Killjoy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Sorry for posting another question! I haven't been to a visit day yet and I thought of another burning question

Are you able to take modules outside of the department, and which subjects would be available to a History student? I am just wondering as it would be nice to take a wild module to mix things up a bit.

Thanks!
University of Kent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello again,

No worries that's what we're here for! Another good question. Basically, modules taken outside of your subject are called 'wild modules' and there will be a long list of things that are available to you depending on what you study. As a history student at stage one, your modules will add up to 120 credits.

This can be broken down into: one 30 credit 'core module' which is compulsory for everyone, and then 60 further credits which must be taken in whichever optional History topics you choose. Which leaves another 30 credits that can be taken from a 'wild module' of your choice, or another History module.

The options available to you would depend on a number of factors including the seats available in a specific module at the time, so I can't give you a list but I can give you an idea! As a History student you would be able to choose from many 'wild modules' subjects depending on availability. So it might be a language you want to begin learning or a particular interest such as an introduction to politics.

You're right it is nice to try something new and wild modules make it so easy!

Hope this helps,

Kayleigh
longdayatnight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

Along the same lines, I've applied to joint honours History and Politics will I be able to take optional modules?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Kent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi EMassey

As a joint honours student you will need to take core modules for each subject, which might limit the amount of 'wild modules' you can do. Optional modules is something different, these are modules within your subjects that you can pick and choose depnding on what you want to learn about.

For example, stage one of a single honours History degree you have one core module that you must take plus at least 2 of the optional ones:
Core modules
  • Making History
Options
  • Britain and Europe, 1500-1660
  • Britain and the Second World War: The Home Front
  • Britain in the Age of Industrialisation 1700-1830
  • The Emergence of America: From European Settlement to 1880
  • Empire and Africa
  • England in the Age of Chivalry: c1200-1400
  • The Hundred Years' War
  • Introduction to Literature and Science
  • Introduction to the History of Medicine
  • Medicine and Empire: 1700-1920
  • Medieval Europe c400-1066
  • Medieval Europe c1066-1450
  • Medieval Pilgrimage
  • Monarchy and Aristocracy in England 1460-1640
  • Renaissance Courts: Culture and Politics
  • The Rise of the United States Since 1880
  • Victorian Britain: Politics, Society and Culture

So, as a joint honours student you'll be taking modules from History and Politics (both core and optional) and if there are credits left over you may be able to take a 'wild module' in something completely different.

I recommend calling the History department directly for further information. T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Thanks for your question, and good luck!

Kayleigh
FutureEEengineer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So basically throught let's say 2 years of BEng you earn Credits and on your third year you have Compulsory Modules and Optional Modules from witch you can choose and exchange them for credits?
StudentRep Medway
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by FutureEEengineer)
So basically throught let's say 2 years of BEng you earn Credits and on your third year you have Compulsory Modules and Optional Modules from witch you can choose and exchange them for credits?
Hi there!

Basically, yes although the word 'exchange' doesn't quite describe the process. Each module that you take will be worth a certain number of credits, and some may be worth more than others as they may run for longer. The best way to think about it is that each year you need to take a certain number of modules to reach your required number of credits for the year. This can sound confusing, but with a BEng most of your modules are compulsory so you don't need to worry about this until your final year where you will need to chose 1 optional module from a small selection (typically around 3).
If you check out the course structure description on your chosen course page, it will break down all of this for you

I hope this is useful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads