username963570
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey everyone , so basically the exam is 4-5 months away now and quite frankly our teacher has taught us absolutely nothing on how to structure essay answers to the 48 mark " Categorizing Texts " bit . Can anyone help me just how many groupings to use , which are the best groupings , which is the best way to structure the answer ? do we analyse all the texts in the paper or just bits of them ? Any help is MUCH appreciated as im very worried i won't even be able to get a B let alone an A
Abbers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I need some examples of A grade answers.
Abbers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Post your Answers here........
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fas)
Hey everyone , so basically the exam is 4-5 months away now and quite frankly our teacher has taught us absolutely nothing on how to structure essay answers to the 48 mark " Categorizing Texts " bit . Can anyone help me just how many groupings to use , which are the best groupings , which is the best way to structure the answer ? do we analyse all the texts in the paper or just bits of them ? Any help is MUCH appreciated as im very worried i won't even be able to get a B let alone an A

4-5months is ages to learn how to answer them. They're probably cementing your knowledge of the texts first before building technique.

You're asking quite broad questions. You might actually benefit from reading some past papers like the Marked By Teachers bot said
username963570
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
4-5months is ages to learn how to answer them. They're probably cementing your knowledge of the texts first before building technique.

You're asking quite broad questions. You might actually benefit from reading some past papers like the Marked By Teachers bot said
the only essays on there are coursework / commentary related ones. not exam answers.

Serious usefulness right there.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fas)
the only essays on there are coursework / commentary related ones. not exam answers.

Serious usefulness right there.

Your question is about essay structure and style. That'll be the same for the essays on there (coursework pieces).

Still, maybe it's just worth asking your tutor then. You seem to want to know how to structure your entire essay, and the simple truth is there's no 'DO IT LIKE THIS' structure. You can get full marks with any style if it compliments your arguements.
username963570
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
Your question is about essay structure and style. That'll be the same for the essays on there (coursework pieces).

Still, maybe it's just worth asking your tutor then. You seem to want to know how to structure your entire essay, and the simple truth is there's no 'DO IT LIKE THIS' structure. You can get full marks with any style if it compliments your arguements.
no no i meant specifically for that paper - but yeah im probably going to go to a different teacher as the one i have has moved onto Language and Gender and refuses to help
dippers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in the same position, my teacher tells me I'm not doing very well in my essays, and tells me to redo it, but doesn't tell me what i've done bad and what i've done well so how am i suppose to improve!?
Thatstudentdude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"The first way to group these texts is through PRAGMATICS. Texts A, B, E and F all share features of..."

"Another grouping of the texts can be formed through the familiarity of PURPOSE. The texts B, C and D all use the same purpose..."

"Texts A and F can be grouped by their use of GRAMMAR..."

It's all pretty straightforward. Don't worry about sounding too cheesy. Just start each paragraph like that. State your grouping, state your texts and then dive straight into a cross-analysis of all the features that the texts have used to achieve that grouping.
sparker94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Best way is to have 3 groups with at least 2 texts in each group. YOU MUST HAVE 3 GROUPS TO GET A C. However, you do not need to cover every text., but try to cover the majority i.e if there are seven texts group six of them. Use the frameworks to create your groups. Try and get a speech group in there if you can, and try to avoid graphology: go for multi-modality instead.
Our teacher taught us:
-1 framework (doesn't matter which this one is, mainly a warm up, but make sure you have plenty to say. Lexis and semantics is a good one)
-speech framework (this, if done properly, helps to get the higher marks- 'texts... and... can be grouped through the mode of speech etc...) you can use poems addressed to people too, I got a Robert Burns poem last year!
-multi-modality (if applicable, talk about how the graphics etc. LINK TO THE TEXT)

The best thing about this question is that you don't need an intro or conclusion, you can just dive straight into analysis! Good luck!
username963570
Rep:
?
(Original post by sparker94)
Best way is to have 3 groups with at least 2 texts in each group. YOU MUST HAVE 3 GROUPS TO GET A C. However, you do not need to cover every text., but try to cover the majority i.e if there are seven texts group six of them. Use the frameworks to create your groups. Try and get a speech group in there if you can, and try to avoid graphology: go for multi-modality instead.
Our teacher taught us:
-1 framework (doesn't matter which this one is, mainly a warm up, but make sure you have plenty to say. Lexis and semantics is a good one)
-speech framework (this, if done properly, helps to get the higher marks- 'texts... and... can be grouped through the mode of speech etc...) you can use poems addressed to people too, I got a Robert Burns poem last year!
-multi-modality (if applicable, talk about how the graphics etc. LINK TO THE TEXT)

The best thing about this question is that you don't need an intro or conclusion, you can just dive straight into analysis! Good luck!
ahh thanks very much ! sorry for the late reply i totally lost this thread on my watched threads
Tom_green_day
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's better to look further than audience or mode as they're quite basic, if you're aiming for an A. Try looking at connotations of both, context, or underlying themes. I find it easier to do 4-6 groups and explain in depth. Apparently it's best to make your groups have a maximum of 3 texts, or you'll seem like you're being too vague.
sophtommo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, so what to do is start with... "One way in which Texts _______________ can be grouped is through their use of (Genre/Audience/Purpose/Context)." Then discuss all your texts linking back to linguistic features and how it enhances Genre/Audience/Purpose/Context. Find contrasting things to show how different linguistic features result in the same GAPC. ANALYSE, ANALYSE,ANALYSE. there is also a hierarchy of frameworks...
HannahBanana1995
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Search for 'English Language B AQA Unit 1' on here, there's more posts from people who took this exam etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
username963570
Rep:
?
(Original post by HannahBanana1995)
Search for 'English Language B AQA Unit 1' on here, there's more posts from people who took this exam etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello , you did this exam aswell ?
HannahBanana1995
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fas)
hello , you did this exam aswell ?
Heeey yes I did!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username963570
Rep:
?
Heeey yes I did!

Posted from TSR Mobile
how did you find it ? thought it was quite hard personally haha
HannahBanana1995
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fas)
how did you find it ? thought it was quite hard personally haha
I think that exam is really pushed for time :/ I spent 15 minutes looking at and annotating all the texts! I then aimed to spend 15 minutes writing about three groups, however I ran over time on my first group and thus only ended up writing about two!!

I did the power question which went really well, except I initially didn't like the look of it! :L
Ended up having lots to says, so that went well

Overall it was alright I thought, though I have seen better past papers!

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username963570
Rep:
?
I think that exam is really pushed for time :/ I spent 15 minutes looking at and annotating all the texts! I then aimed to spend 15 minutes writing about three groups, however I ran over time on my first group and thus only ended up writing about two!!

I did the power question which went really well, except I initially didn't like the look of it! :L
Ended up having lots to says, so that went well

Overall it was alright I thought, though I have seen better past papers!

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
definitely agree with you on the time aspect - and likewise i only wrote two groups once i realised i wouldn't get a third one done , but i did both groups with a fair amount of detail in so hopefully should be ok !

SAME , did the Power question - didn't like the fact it was spoken discourse but managed to talk about a range of stuff , but i don't think that one went great to be honest :/

Yeah , i remember the paper with the Audi Advert as the Power question was really nice haha !
JakeButlins
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Please help me, we have a mock in class tomorrow, and I know NOTHING about it - I need some qucik help...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads