Turn on thread page Beta

Clinical Psychology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    just out of interest i was wondering if anyone else is interested in a career as a clinical psychologist. i've wanted to go into clinical psychology ever since i was 15, i think that as a career it'll be very interesting, varied and rewarding. if anyone has any ideas where i could get work experience (which is vital in this field) please suggest them to me. thanx

ReputationRep:
    I think you would find it very difficult to get work experience in Clin Pscyh, as the patients are classesd as vunerable and as such you'll need CRB clearence and all kinds of stuff before somewhere would even look at you.

You could try getting basic medically related w/e like shaddowing or ward volunteering, volunteering in an old folks home etc....

Also have you looked into the activities of the British Psychological Society (BPS), as you will need to work towards being accepted by the BPS for Graduate Basis for Registration (GBP).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your advice i've decided the best way to get proper experience is to go to bath uni as their degree has a year working alongside a professional psychologist in your chosen field. i was advised by one of my dad's psychologist friends that this would be a massive advantage for a career in clinical psychology. now i've just got to get the near to impossible grades (AAABa) to get in!

ReputationRep:
    My ex boyfriend always wanted to do a Phd in Clinical Psychology. He was very experienced as he had been working in the field for years but, each post was temp. as he needed his Phd to go further. He tried for 7 years to get into a university to do his Phd but, each time same thing. So few places on the courses and so many people wanting to get in. Its very competitive and can get you down easily so make sure you know its definately want you want. More over there is more demmand now that these Phd's pay good money whilst you are on them. I think there is about 5 places per uni and only so many uni's that offer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtySmarty)
    More over there is more demmand now that these Phd's pay good money whilst you are on them.
    really? the funding situation has defo improved over hte last 5 years, but it is not good money! Trust me!

ReputationRep:
    i think you get paid 17 grand a year to do the doctorate, so it isn't that bad. the course in plymouth also pays for accomodation, travel costs, £400 personal therapy (!) a year and £250 a year for books ontop of that. but it is really hard to get onto the course in the first place, thats why i want to get plenty of work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i think you get paid 17 grand a year to do the doctorate, so it isn't that bad. the course in plymouth also pays for accomodation, travel costs, £400 personal therapy (!) a year and £250 a year for books ontop of that. but it is really hard to get onto the course in the first place, thats why i want to get plenty of work experience.
    im possibly thinking of clinical psychology.. i know roughly what it is but can't find a definition anywhere of exactly what it involves- can anyone elighten me??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    im possibly thinking of clinical psychology.. i know roughly what it is but can't find a definition anywhere of exactly what it involves- can anyone elighten me??
    well, its the clinical psychologists job to assess people with learning difficulties, administer psychological tests to brain damaged patients, devise rehabilitaion programmes for long term psychiatric patients, assess the elderly for their fitness to live independently.

they also carry out programmes of therapy (usually behavour therapy or psychotherapy), carry out research into abnormal psychology such as research into the effectiveness of different treatment methods and teach other groups of proffessionals (doctors, social services) about mental health issues.

it seem like a really interesting job because of the diversity involved. many psychologists work part time at a university conducting abnormal psychology research and work the rest of the time in a hospital or clinic. it's much better than psychiatry as theres more involvement with the patients making it more hands on.

if you want any more information check out www.psyclick.org.uk a really good website with loads of information about clinical psychology and how to become a clinical psychologist. theres also a forum where you can chat to people who are currently on the doctorate course and find out what its really like. i found it really useful.

ReputationRep:
    well, its the clinical psychologists job to assess people with learning difficulties, administer psychological tests to brain damaged patients, devise rehabilitaion programmes for long term psychiatric patients, assess the elderly for their fitness to live independently.

they also carry out programmes of therapy (usually behavour therapy or psychotherapy), carry out research into abnormal psychology such as research into the effectiveness of different treatment methods and teach other groups of proffessionals (doctors, social services) about mental health issues.

it seem like a really interesting job because of the diversity involved. many psychologists work part time at a university conducting abnormal psychology research and work the rest of the time in a hospital or clinic. it's much better than psychiatry as theres more involvement with the patients making it more hands on.

if you want any more information check out www.psyclick.org.uk a really good website with loads of information about clinical psychology and how to become a clinical psychologist. theres also a forum where you can chat to people who are currently on the doctorate course and find out what its really like. i found it really useful.
    cool, thankyou...from what i've heard already it sounds really good!! by the sounds of it it is VERY competative then??

ReputationRep:
    so, am i right in thinking this is what you have to do to be a clinical psychologist??

get a 2:1 or higher in a degree ensuring GBR to BPS
    do 3 years relevant work experience
    do 3 year clinical psychology doctorate (which is not phd so can't call yourself dr)
    then you are qualified??

ReputationRep:
    so, am i right in thinking this is what you have to do to be a clinical psychologist??

get a 2:1 or higher in a degree ensuring GBR to BPS
    do 3 years relevant work experience
    do 3 year clinical psychology doctorate (which is not phd so can't call yourself dr)
    then you are qualified??
    yup thats it roughly it. although i'm pretty sure clinical psychologists are called doctors. the work experience thing is a bit dodgy because i think some course for the doctorate accept people with only one years work experience that is done as part of a degree (i think surrey uni does this). however, some people on the psyclick site have 5 years work experience and still haven't managed to get on a course so it all depends really.

its a lot more competitive than i expected it to be too, but it is a really rewarding job i expect, worth all the extra hard work.

ReputationRep:
    yup thats it roughly it. although i'm pretty sure clinical psychologists are called doctors. the work experience thing is a bit dodgy because i think some course for the doctorate accept people with only one years work experience that is done as part of a degree (i think surrey uni does this). however, some people on the psyclick site have 5 years work experience and still haven't managed to get on a course so it all depends really.

its a lot more competitive than i expected it to be too, but it is a really rewarding job i expect, worth all the extra hard work.
    it sounds really good
    i am also interested in educational psychology as well....

i'll see what happens during my degree

have you done any relevant work experience for it??

ReputationRep:
    it sounds really good
    i am also interested in educational psychology as well....

i'll see what happens during my degree

have you done any relevant work experience for it??
    well i work at the samaritans, thats pretty good experience and quite enjoyable too as i feel like i'm actually making a difference to someones life just by being on the end of the phone. i've also made quite a few friends from the samaritans even though i only do 4-8 hours a week.

as for other work experience, i plan to work in an old peoples care home over the summer (unless my Dad can pursuade one of the psychologists who he works with at rampton hospital to let me follow them round for a month, which is unfortunately very unlikely *sigh*).

ReputationRep:
    well i work at the samaritans, thats pretty good experience and quite enjoyable too as i feel like i'm actually making a difference to someones life just by being on the end of the phone. i've also made quite a few friends from the samaritans even though i only do 4-8 hours a week.

as for other work experience, i plan to work in an old peoples care home over the summer (unless my Dad can pursuade one of the psychologists who he works with at rampton hospital to let me follow them round for a month, which is unfortunately very unlikely *sigh*).
    I've been looking into it more today- it seems like a really interesting job- definately something i'll consider..and very worthwhile...
    thanks vooodooDoll!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.