Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how much would you expect to spend in a week in UCl and how does this compare with livng in nottingham or warwick?
    any current undergraduates out there who can tally up thier spending so far at their uni (london vs nottingham vs warwick)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big P)
    how much would you expect to spend in a week in UCl and how does this compare with livng in nottingham or warwick?
    any current undergraduates out there who can tally up thier spending so far at their uni (london vs nottingham vs warwick)
    Thanks
    You'll end up spending a fair bit more in London than you would up North as almost everything seems to cost a few quid more....which all adds up. I was at UCL but left a few months ago as I didn't like it but my mate who is still there currently pays about £56 p/w for a SHARED room- this I do not advise, believe me.

Obviously with regards to books, food, etc the cost will be preety much the same, however the cost of your social life in London will dig deep into your pockets. Travelling alone in London will set you back, taxis, trains and busses are all more expensive than up north. Also, drinks and club entry can be bloody extortionate at times. The UCL Union costs about £3 to get into to and drinks are about £1.60 oer pint, £2.20 per coktail (Crappy week ones, mind you). Then as alot of people will know, London nightclubs have a tendancy to be very expensive, especially froma student's point of view. Expect £10 entry on Thurs/ Fris/ Sats and not to get more than 2 rinks for a tenner.
    However, sometimes you can be lucky and go along to a student event, which will be cheeper, but nowhere near as inexpensive as up North.

Hope that helped,
    Bear in mind that I'm quite biased when it comes to UCL as I personally thought it was a shithole and wouldn't reccommend it to anyone.
    Mind you....that's just my opinion and a few others on my course. (Italian and management).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    You'll end up spending a fair bit more in London than you would up North as almost everything seems to cost a few quid more....which all adds up. I was at UCL but left a few months ago as I didn't like it but my mate who is still there currently pays about £56 p/w for a SHARED room- this I do not advise, believe me.

Obviously with regards to books, food, etc the cost will be preety much the same, however the cost of your social life in London will dig deep into your pockets. Travelling alone in London will set you back, taxis, trains and busses are all more expensive than up north. Also, drinks and club entry can be bloody extortionate at times. The UCL Union costs about £3 to get into to and drinks are about £1.60 oer pint, £2.20 per coktail (Crappy week ones, mind you). Then as alot of people will know, London nightclubs have a tendancy to be very expensive, especially froma student's point of view. Expect £10 entry on Thurs/ Fris/ Sats and not to get more than 2 rinks for a tenner.
    However, sometimes you can be lucky and go along to a student event, which will be cheeper, but nowhere near as inexpensive as up North.

Hope that helped,
    Bear in mind that I'm quite biased when it comes to UCL as I personally thought it was a shithole and wouldn't reccommend it to anyone.
    Mind you....that's just my opinion and a few others on my course. (Italian and management).

i know about all the high cost and all that yea, but surely this will pay off in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i know about all the high cost and all that yea, but surely this will pay off in the future?
    Depends really.
    You could get a great degree somewhere out of London where the cost of living is lower and then when the time is right get a job in the city, why not!?

(Original post by TheWolf)
    hardly seeing as a ucl degree is no different/more respected than a bristol/edinburgh/nottingham/warwick or even durham one

the sacrifice could perhaps be made for lse or imperial if you are a mathsy student but you any of the others i dont understand why you would want another £5,000 debt hanging over you :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    hardly seeing as a ucl degree is no different/more respected than a bristol/edinburgh/nottingham/warwick or even durham one

the sacrifice could perhaps be made for lse or imperial if you are a mathsy student but you any of the others i dont understand why you would want another £5,000 debt hanging over you :confused:
    That depends on the subject, if you did law im sure UCL is superior to the other universities. If you want to work in the city, more firms visit UCL since it's right on their doorstep.

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    That depends on the subject, if you did law im sure UCL is superior to the other universities. If you want to work in the city, more firms visit UCL since it's right on their doorstep.
    not really, ucl is good for law but i'm going by this list of preffered univeristies from chambersandpartner.com

Bristol 28 (32)
    Oxford 27 (30)
    Cambridge 25 (30)
    Durham 25 (23)
    Nottingham 24 (25)
    Exeter 19 (22)
    Kings College, London 19 (9)
    UCL 19 (10)
    Manchester

kings is arguably more impressive for law if you really want to work in london and is traditionally much more highly rated for the subject

and as unreliable as league tables are, ucl again only comes joint 8th with reading in the times tables for law with the lowest destinations score of the top 10

if i was applying for law then i would put durham, nottingham and kcl ahead of ucl *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)

well, i personally want to because its London, and there is far much more access to resources with being in the city. Also, people high in the field will most probably be residing in or close to London, since they have the better jobs....so the debt cld well pay off for the extra contacts made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)

Hope that helped,
    Yes you are biased so shut the hell up and stop filling everyones head with neagtive crap you silly cow

ReputationRep:
    I lived in London for three years. The cosmopolitan atmosphere is great (or so I thought). Studying in London would not only give you further education, but an all round experience which could only come from the centre of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Yes you are biased so shut the hell up and stop filling everyones head with neagtive crap you silly cow
    Blimey...in a bad mood Sam?
    Sssshh. People like you give me a headache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    not really, ucl is good for law but i'm going by this list of preffered univeristies from chambersandpartner.com

Bristol 28 (32)
    Oxford 27 (30)
    Cambridge 25 (30)
    Durham 25 (23)
    Nottingham 24 (25)
    Exeter 19 (22)
    UCL 19 (10)
    Manchester

kings is arguably more impressive for law if you really want to work in london and is traditionally much more highly rated for the subject

and as unreliable as league tables are, ucl again only comes joint 8th with reading in the times tables for law with the lowest destinations score of the top 10

if i was applying for law then i would put durham, nottingham and kcl ahead of ucl *shrug*
    The list of preferred universities is too small to be statistically reliable.

(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    The list of preferred universities is too small to be statistically reliable.
    probably, but i reckon it's a good indicator. and of course it seems pretty flawed for having lse so low. meh whatever, law is boring

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing my sums and should be able to live off my £5,005 loan, and if they give me the HE Grant then that should come in handy. I will get a job in one of the LSE bars/something else on campus for about 10hrs a week and then I should be comfortable with money with very little input from my mummy. So, it is do-able.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    Bristol 28 (32)
    Oxford 27 (30)
    Cambridge 25 (30)
    Durham 25 (23)
    Nottingham 24 (25)
    Exeter 19 (22)
    UCL 19 (10)
    Manchester
    Just wondering, does this means that employers actually prefer exeter's law graduate as compared to KCL, UCL & Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eunice)
    Just wondering, does this means that employers actually prefer exeter's law graduate as compared to KCL, UCL & Manchester?
    Yeah, bit dodgy there, especially since oxford law came under bristol. Ok you can argue about UCL but oxford law?!?

(Original post by eunice)
    not ofcourse not, they surveyed a number of decent british firms and asked them if they had a particular preference towards specific law graduates, the majority said they didnt look at university anyway

in general i would agree with the listing, perhaps with kcl higher

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to go out to the massive clubs to have a great night - and even many of those have student nights!

Ministry of Sound has "Vodka Nation" student night on Wednesdays, which is £4 entry (entry open *only* to those with an NUS card IIRC) drinks are cheaper on this night too. Places like The Gardening Club have free entry on Mondays. Zoo Bar is cool too, that was only £8 to get in on a Saturday... I think my favourite club i've been to so far has probably been The Fridge in Brixton... that wasn't that much more expensive than going out back home (in Cambridge) tbh.

It will only get expensive if you start going to places like Café de Paris, Tantra, Funky Buddha etc regularly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    You don't have to go out to the massive clubs to have a great night - and even many of those have student nights!

Ministry of Sound has "Vodka Nation" student night on Wednesdays, which is £4 entry (entry open *only* to those with an NUS card IIRC) drinks are cheaper on this night too. Places like The Gardening Club have free entry on Mondays. Zoo Bar is cool too, that was only £8 to get in on a Saturday... I think my favourite club i've been to so far has probably been The Fridge in Brixton... that wasn't that much more expensive than going out back home (in Cambridge) tbh.

It will only get expensive if you start going to places like Café de Paris, Tantra, Funky Buddha etc regularly!
    There's a funky buddha in london!!! soz, just got excited because i though one of my local clubs was unique.

ReputationRep:
    There's everything in London. As Daz says you can go out for not much money- places like ministry and Hombre's (Hombre de bahia) or Limelight are pretty cheap. There's also the Church (read TNT magazine for that....) for when you find your overdraft being maxed out lol. On top of this, there's cheap alternatives such as house parties (I've got one in Borough tomorrow- it should be good), your union (The Tuns/Crush- cheap, not particularly nice though) or ULU.

My personal favourites aren't cheap though. I really like Attica and Chinawhite (I know people, so getting in is pretty easy any day of the week) and have had some really good nights there, although they're pretty pricy. For cheaper options I like Ministry and Hombres (Hombres is really, really cheap, especially on Mondays- that's the only reason why it's good though).

Overall, there's cheap places in London. You just have to find them.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.