The Student Room Group

Statistics S1 Question!

An annual mathematics contest contains 15 questions, 5 short and 10 long. The probability that I get a short question right is 0.9.
The probability that I get a long question right is 0.5.
My performances on questions are independent of each other.

(iv) Find the probability that I get exactly 13 of the 15 questions right.

^^ please help, I'm stuck :frown:

Thanks

(p.s for those who have the mei book, its on page 177)
Original post by KanKan

You want to start by splitting it into three cases depending on whether the two you get wrong are short or long questions, or a mixture.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
You want to start by splitting it into three cases depending on whether the two you get wrong are short or long questions, or a mixture.

Awesome, thanks for the help :smile:
To get 13 correct, they have to achieve one of the following (i.e. the number of correct questions)(10 long AND 3 short) OR (8 long AND 5 short) OR (9 long AND 4 short) ==> (in other words, they have to get the 2/15 wrong both from the long questions or both from the short questions or 1 wrong from each set)It is of course Binomial... a bit long tooBoth wrong from long questions so all 5 short correct = (10C8 x 0.5^8 x 0.5^2) x (5C5 x 0.9^5 x 0.1^0) of course some parts here =1 but I have left them in for clarityBoth wrong from short questions so all 10 long correct = (5C3 x 0.9^3 x 0.1^2) x (10C10 x 0.5^10 x 0.5^0) as aboveOne wrong question from each set = (10C9 x 0.5^9 x0.5^1) x (5C4 x 0.9^4 x 0.1^1) as aboveAdding the results for the three rows = 0.02922

Quick Reply

Latest