Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've done my a level coursework (AQA) and am very happy with it but its 3000 words and the limit is 2000 and i really dont want to cut anything out.

are they gonna just chop off the last third if its this much over? or might i get away with it if it is all relevent and concise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klowne)
    I've done my a level coursework (AQA) and am very happy with it but its 3000 words and the limit is 2000 and i really dont want to cut anything out.

are they gonna just chop off the last third if its this much over? or might i get away with it if it is all relevent and concise.
    examiner stops reading after 2000.

ReputationRep:
    surely it would be quicker to read the last thousand words than to count the words. oh well.

its gonna be a looong night....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    surely it would be quicker to read the last thousand words than to count the words. oh well.

its gonna be a looong night....
    Can't you footnote quotes or figures or references? These don't usually count. I know that in our specs for Geography, there is a penalty (which works out to be about a grade) if you are more than 10% over the limit, but there are ways around it eg annotated graphs etc - the text for those doen't count even though you can then refer to the analysis on them.

ReputationRep:
    u know results dont count towards the work limit?

ReputationRep:
    really? i knew references and appendices didnt but didnt know results didnt.

do aims and hypotheses count?

ReputationRep:

No, we've been told that its fine as long as it isn't obviously excessive.
    The marker's don't count the words in it. They only judge if it is simply over the top in the number of words in the coursework.
    I know people with about 3000 words, and they've been told its fine.

ReputationRep:
    I know that for OCR anything over the word limit can be crossed out and not read. The idea behind it is that you have to be able to write concisely and to the point - the whole point of a psychological report. For OCR the word count is 1400 so imagine having to write for that. I was nearly 300 words over and had to cut it right down. My tutor is an examiner and said that if you are only a little over it is not possible to tell - but a 1000 words they will check your word count. For most examining bodies you will actually have to put to the total on the front anyway and it wont do you any favours to lie about it.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.