Why am i procrastinating?!!!

Watch
MrCheesecake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Seriously, I tell myself every freaking day not to do it, but I end up doing it anyways!

the strangest thing is that I actually reassure myself that the topic I'm revising isn't even that important, or that I already know it, so I might as well skip it.
I also tell myself to revise when it's either half past, quarter past, quarter to or on the dot (e.g. 4pm).
If I look at the clock and it three minutes past four, I tell myself that there's no point revising now (??!!), so I might as well revise at quarter past...which turns in to half past...which turns into quarter to..which turns into NEVER DOING IT.

Does anyone else do this?
Slightly going mad here as I have an exam on Monday yet here I am, watching Friends Season 6 bloopers on YouTube and eating a family pack of Wotsits
HanaKimi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have an assignment due Tuesday and I'm behind schedule but I'm in denial and keep on reassuring myself that I 'got this' assignment so no need to worry
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel you :sadnod: In fact I do the exact same thing with the clock :lol:
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So many distractions, so little time...
ummm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do the clock thing too! I always just fall asleep as well. You can't feel guilty when you're asleep
MrCheesecake
Rep:
?
(Original post by desdemonata)
I feel you :sadnod: In fact I do the exact same thing with the clock :lol:
Reassuring that someone else does the same thing. Phew

(Original post by ummm)
I do the clock thing too! I always just fall asleep as well. You can't feel guilty when you're asleep
Interesting..it's getting pretty late...
emilie18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MrCheesecake)
Seriously, I tell myself every freaking day not to do it, but I end up doing it anyways!

the strangest thing is that I actually reassure myself that the topic I'm revising isn't even that important, or that I already know it, so I might as well skip it.
I also tell myself to revise when it's either half past, quarter past, quarter to or on the dot (e.g. 4pm).
If I look at the clock and it three minutes past four, I tell myself that there's no point revising now (??!!), so I might as well revise at quarter past...which turns in to half past...which turns into quarter to..which turns into NEVER DOING IT.

Does anyone else do this?
Slightly going mad here as I have an exam on Monday yet here I am, watching Friends Season 6 bloopers on YouTube and eating a family pack of Wotsits
This sounds so like me! Watching bloopers on YouTube is what I do whenever I'm bored and the actual shows aren't on. I'll be like, "right, treat myself to this until half past, THEN revise!" :yes:...... "oh dayumm, twenty to already? Meh, let's just start at o'clock then :awesome:".

And then by the end of the day I realise I've hardly done anything and it's just ridiculous.

What's helped me recently is completely removing myself from distractions like TV, YouTube, etc, by going to the "silent study" area of the uni library, without taking my iPod or phone(!). All I take is the essential revision stuff. That way I have nothing else to do but revise! Works surprisingly well, once you get into revising it is enjoyable-ish, it's somehow quite methodical and therapeutic. The first hour was hard, but then the next three hours whoooshed by and I had made about 5 pages of notes and completely prepared myself for one question in my upcoming exam. Felt good to be like, OK, now I can get at least 30% in this exam, just because I put my mind to working. I found that this has made me more able to ignore the distractions in my room, as I've taught myself the value of being a bit more productive!

So, you could try something like that? Go to your uni library or your local library if you're not yet at uni, set yourself up and just power through the day. Otherwise, making a timetable of your revision, with regular breaks, is also a good thing to do. E.g. 4pm-5pm, make a poster on X theory, 5pm-5.30pm, watch [TV show], 6pm-7pm, test myself on Y theory, etc etc. Snacking while you revise also removes the distraction of hunger!

I also have an exam on Monday, so I will be attempting to not procrastinate and power through all my revision... Aghhr. Good luck with yours!!

Hope this helps! :wavey:
Kiwihoney
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes. since sunday i have: cleaned the flat, watched a whole gossip girl season, redecorated my room, gone shopping.
Trips to the library: 1.
blubimnotafish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should block all the entertaining websites like Youtube, The Student Room, etc. Or just switch off internet entirely and do what you need to do. Or shut down your computer and if it's a laptop, give it your mum to hide, so you can't use it until you've done your exam.

I always block the entertaining websites when my procrastination has gotten out of hand but I do need to use the internet.
MrCheesecake
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilie18)
This sounds so like me! Watching bloopers on YouTube is what I do whenever I'm bored and the actual shows aren't on. I'll be like, "right, treat myself to this until half past, THEN revise!" :yes:...... "oh dayumm, twenty to already? Meh, let's just start at o'clock then :awesome:".

And then by the end of the day I realise I've hardly done anything and it's just ridiculous.

What's helped me recently is completely removing myself from distractions like TV, YouTube, etc, by going to the "silent study" area of the uni library, without taking my iPod or phone(!). All I take is the essential revision stuff. That way I have nothing else to do but revise! Works surprisingly well, once you get into revising it is enjoyable-ish, it's somehow quite methodical and therapeutic. The first hour was hard, but then the next three hours whoooshed by and I had made about 5 pages of notes and completely prepared myself for one question in my upcoming exam. Felt good to be like, OK, now I can get at least 30% in this exam, just because I put my mind to working. I found that this has made me more able to ignore the distractions in my room, as I've taught myself the value of being a bit more productive!

So, you could try something like that? Go to your uni library or your local library if you're not yet at uni, set yourself up and just power through the day. Otherwise, making a timetable of your revision, with regular breaks, is also a good thing to do. E.g. 4pm-5pm, make a poster on X theory, 5pm-5.30pm, watch [TV show], 6pm-7pm, test myself on Y theory, etc etc. Snacking while you revise also removes the distraction of hunger!

I also have an exam on Monday, so I will be attempting to not procrastinate and power through all my revision... Aghhr. Good luck with yours!!

Hope this helps! :wavey:
cheers for that, was a great help! May be a bit too late for this upcoming exam, but I'll definitely do that in future - good luck with your exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise