Turn on thread page Beta

footprints poem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey. i've just remembered this poem that i read in r.e years ago. it was about this guy and his life flashed before his eyes as he walked along the beach. he found out that the two sets of footprints he saw on the sand behind him were his and God's but when he looked back at the end and saw that at the hardest times in his life, there was only one set of footprints. he asked God and God said that was when he was carrying him...

Anyone know it? dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    footprints, footprints, so curve'ed and small,
    so often i wonder why we have feet at all.

needs some work, but im getting there i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    hey. i've just remembered this poem that i read in r.e years ago. it was about this guy and his life flashed before his eyes as he walked along the beach. he found out that the two sets of footprints he saw on the sand behind him were his and God's but when he looked back at the end and saw that at the hardest times in his life, there was only one set of footprints. he asked God and God said that was when he was carrying him...

Anyone know it? dearyxxx
    Here you are:

One night I dreamed I was walking
    Along the beach with the Lord.
    Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
    In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
    Sometimes there were two sets of footprints.
    Other times there were one set of footprints.
    This bothered me because I noticed that
    During the low periods of my life when I was
    Suffering from anguish, sorrow, or defeat,
    I could see only one set of footprints,
    So I said to the Lord, "You promised me,
    Lord, that if I followed You,
    You would walk with me always.
    But I noticed that during the most trying periods
    Of my life there have only been
    One set of prints in the sand.
    Why, When I have needed You most,
    You have not been there for me?"
    The Lord replied,
    "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints
    Is when I carried you."

ReputationRep:
    a blemish on religious poetry

ReputationRep:
    It is 'Footprints In The Sand' by Mary Stevenson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    a blemish on religious poetry

Don't be so disdainful. It's not classy and it's not sylish but it's simple and I know people who have found it really helpful. Surely religious poetry would be aiming to "connect" people with God and promote meditation (not in the Buddhist sense!) rather than have the reader in awe of the human poet's skill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Don't be so disdainful. It's not classy and it's not sylish but it's simple and I know people who have found it really helpful. Surely religious poetry would be aiming to "connect" people with God and promote meditation (not in the Buddhist sense!) rather than have the reader in awe of the human poet's skill?

pff, mine was far better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    pff, mine was far better

LOL, if you insist!

ReputationRep:

It is too serman like for myself, poetry should invoke a much more powerful feeling amongst the reader (as well as its meaning). This poem portrays the meaning well but lacks the poetic quality of truely engaging the reader with powerful imagery, emotive language and leaves everything so clear no further thought is required.

This would be just as good expressed in a few sentances rather than trying to pass it off as a 'poem'.

Again, my subjective judgement.

ReputationRep:
    It's similar to this I suppose. I don't knwo if it's true or not but it still evokes an emotional reaction, nevertheless?

There was an atheist couple who had a child. The couple never told their daughter anything about the Lord. One night when the little girl was 5 years old, the parents fought with each other and the dad shot the Mom, right in front of the child. Then, the dad shot himself. The little girl watched it all. She then was sent to a foster home. The foster mother was a Christian and took the child to church. On the first day of Sunday School, the foster mother told the teacher that the girl had never heard of Jesus, and to have patience with her.

The teacher held up a picture of Jesus and said, "Does anyone know who this is?" The little girl said, "I do, that's the man who was holding me the night my parents died."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    pff, mine was far better
    i definitely liked yours more but unfortunately im not doing a project on feet, or the contemplation of feet. ahhh, if only.....

this religious poetry you claim is blemished by Footprints-any quotes? i'm not experienced in the reading of such texts but if you could send any my way it would be v.v.helpful dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    but lacks the poetic quality of truely engaging the reader with powerful imagery, emotive language and leaves everything so clear no further thought is required.

Well, the first time I read it it provoked a lot of thought. I suppose it depends on how you are disposed towards the subject matter .

ReputationRep:
    Well, the first time I read it it provoked a lot of thought. I suppose it depends on how you are disposed towards the subject matter .
    i'd definitely agree. i used to be friends with this guy and he loved that poem but he was quite strongly religious and it obviously connected with him. i find the concept nice but the lmaguge too dull. but then im not at all religious and find it quite a corny 'story' i dont mean to offend anyone but that's my opinion. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    I've PMed you with some stuff but don't knwo if you'll gte it cause of the server - Pm back if you do

ReputationRep:
    I've PMed you with some stuff but don't knwo if you'll gte it cause of the server - Pm back if you do
    have got it and replied. thanks again, dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    have got it and replied. thanks again, dearyxxx
    Good-o!!

Anyone know of any way you can send a Song over the internet?

(ooo do you have broadband? if you do it would be quite zippy over MSN)

ReputationRep:
    Good-o!!

Anyone know of any way you can send a Song over the internet?

(ooo do you have broadband? if you do it would be quite zippy over MSN)
    no broadband im afarid. just a little modem. how long would it take on a normal connection on msn do you think?

ReputationRep:
    no broadband im afarid. just a little modem. how long would it take on a normal connection on msn do you think?
    only one way to find out...!! LOL

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.