AQA As level Law Unit 1 Watch

crazy.monkey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys i havent seen a thred yet for AQA unit 1 a level law so i thought that i should make one. I am not doing this exam in january but its bet to start revision now :-). Any tips ir revision tools please let me know thanks!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Minnie_Mouse95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

I'm doing the exam for Law Unit 1 on Tuesday 15th January and I think revision is going well.

A tip would be... the Exam only asks you to answer questions from THREE topics... One from Section A, One from section B and One from either section A or B.

I advise you to look at past papers... choose the three topics you are most confident on and try to get some high quality model answers together for those questions which are most likely for the exam Keep going back to you tutor/teacher for help and improvements on all model answers Good Luck!

When are you doing your exam anyway?

Damini x
crazy.monkey
Rep:
?
Hi damini,
I am doing unit 1 and unit 2 both in may so i have some time to get my head sorted around what topics i want to do. What topics are you revising most for them exam? Good luck with your revision and let me know how you find the exam!! ;-)

Jalal

Minnie_Mouse95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Jalal

Lucky!

I'm sitting both Unit 1 and Unit 2 in January. For Unit 1 I'm focusing on Statutory Interpretation, Judicial Precedent and The criminal courts and Lay People. I find them really easy topics to understand and also there's not much content to cover (revision wise) so more model answers can be developed.

I will do!

How you decided your topics yet?

Damini x
crazy.monkey
Rep:
?
Hi damini
I am confused to which topics to revise. I realise that you have a choice but our teacher has rushed through each one and has managed to cover everything but i no where near as much detail to even have the slightest clue on what we are on about. For the exam is it best to know 3 topics really well or know 5 topics but have the general view on what each topic is?

crazy.monkey
Rep:
?
And how hard is unit 2? Apparently its suppose to be mich more interesting that unit 1 ;-)

username1096030
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing last minute revision for unit 1 today and made my revision notes yesterday I've done many past paper questions in class...I'm hoping to blag some of the answers..Is it too late to revise now? (I'm not completely lost) and i'm just hoping for a C minimum...I'm doing parliamentary law making,statutory Interpretation and legal profession.
phoebebuffay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone have the june 2012 paper or know what questions came up?

AboveTheLine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have the June 2012 paper, I can scan it or something.

I'm doing the Unit 1 exam tomorrow. As said, it's best you focus solely on 3 topics, one from section A, one from section B and one from either. I'm doing Parliamentary Law Making, Statutory Interpretation and Civil Courts & ADR.

For revision I've basically just condensed my notes down to only include the info I need to know. This includes one case and act example wherever possible. Thankfully you can tell over the years that the questions will be very similar so you'll know what to do.

EDIT: Here it is. Don't say I never help out fellow TSR'ers

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x0xk5t...1_June2012.pdf
AsianNoodles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Judging by the most recent paper. Here is what I think is going to show for these three topics. for those doing DELEGATED LEGISLATION. Make sure you revise advantages and disadvantages of DL. Guaranteed question, it will never ask you to review a specific type of DL. Also most of you doing STATUTORY INTERPRETATION can expect: Rules of Language, Extrinsic and Intrinsic Aids to show up, Mischief Rule and Golden Rule. Lay people seems consistent every year and ADR is prettu unpredictable as it can ask you specific adv and disadv on ADR methods. Expect Civil Courts, tracks and appeals to come up almost Guaranteed.

Summed up

STAT - MISCHIEF, GOLDEN ADV AND DISADV

DELEGATED LEGISLATION - ADV/DISADV - REVISE THESE HARD 100% GUARANTEE

ADR - CIVIL COURTS, TRACKS AND APPEALS 90%
AboveTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Statutory Interpretation

Mischief Rule - Smith v Hughes case example. Heydon's Case example. It's flexible and brings rise to the intentions of parliament, but gives too much power to un elected judges, is outdated and doesn't respect parliamentary sovereignty.

Golden Rule - Avoids an absurd result. Narrow application = R v Allen case example. Wide application = Adler v George case example. Better for justice, but there are no guidelines that state what is and is not absurd.

Rule of Language - Expressio unius est exclusion alterius. "The mention of one thing excludes another". Tempest v Kilner case example (Goods, wares and merchandise did not include stocks & shares).

Civil Courts & ADR

Civil Court Tracks - Small Claims = Up to £5k, £1k for Personal Injury, district judge. Fast Track = £5k to £25k, £50k for PI. Multi Track, circuit judge. Multi Track = £25k+, £50k+ for PI or a complex case, High Court.

Civil Court Appeals - No automatic right to appeal under Access to Justice Act 1999. Previous court must give leave to appeal and will only do so if it is on a point of law or if the case has a high success chance. Possible leap-frog to the Supreme Court of Court of Appeal is bound by judicial precedent on the point of law. Appeals = High Court -> Court of Appeal -> Supreme Court.

Done.
phoebebuffay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Omg thank you so much for the paper!

Minnie_Mouse95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In exams ... have they ever asked for MORE than ONE rule of language? ... Or can I just memorise one rule?
Minnie_Mouse95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by crazy.monkey)
Hi damini
I am confused to which topics to revise. I realise that you have a choice but our teacher has rushed through each one and has managed to cover everything but i no where near as much detail to even have the slightest clue on what we are on about. For the exam is it best to know 3 topics really well or know 5 topics but have the general view on what each topic is?

Hey Jalal

I would say it is best to know 3 topics... but you still have time so you could think of revising others as back up (if questions are totally different to what you predicted)

Regarding the topics to choose, I would say go with the topics you are more confident in ... Or the ones that you understand. You still have time to look over each topic individually and choose the one's you have more knowledge in and actually want to revise Also If you have only rushed through topics then I definitely advise you to do some reading outside of you class/lesson to help you understand each topic, even to a briefly knowledge before choosing 3 main topics

Damini x
AboveTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Minnie_Mouse95)
In exams ... have they ever asked for MORE than ONE rule of language? ... Or can I just memorise one rule?
One rule. Pretty certain on that.
Minnie_Mouse95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AboveTheLine)
One rule. Pretty certain on that.
Cool thank you ... from what I've worked out, The last two exams have been on the golden rule and the literal rule... so this exam tomorrow should either be on the mischief rule or the purposive rule, which are both quite similiar which is good x
crazy.monkey
Rep:
?
How dif everyone find the exam?

AboveTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was alright. The combining of supremacy and green/white paper was weird though. I also think some of my answers were rather thin on the ground, most notably arbitration.

Posted from iPhone
crazy.monkey
Rep:
?
Hi damini,
How did u find the exam? Were there all the questions you studied for? Were there any suprise questions? Good luck for your unit2 exam aswell im sure it will go fine!! ;-)

cherry_heart2047
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
omg i totally did the exam wrong because it was asking for the hierarchy court and rati decidendi and i only wrote them twoo however my law teacher said that i had to do all the essay including obter and law reporting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise