The Student Room Group

Why do people spit in the street?

Scroll to see replies

Smokers tend to do it, I think it's cause of a build-up of phlegm or something. I agree, it's absolutely disgusting.
Reply 41
Original post by InternetGangster
pavements arent exactly the cleanest thing in the world..

Yes, thanks to dickheads who spit chewing gum onto the ground until finding a bin - I'd rather them swallow it than spit it on the ground tbh.

It's inconsiderate for the law-abiding, decent citizen who has the freedom to walk on the pavement without being subjected to spitting or dog ****, by bastards who are too thick to clean it up. They really do deserve to be taken out, lined up, and shot repeatedly.
Reply 42
Original post by Iron Lady
Probably because not cleaning up your mess is extremely inconsiderate.

Tell that to your mother.
Reply 43
Original post by A Cat
Tell that to your mother.

A child is a choice and my mother was aware of the consequences, such as tidying up a baby.

Spitting is disgusting and affects other parties.
Reply 44
A child is a choice and my mother was aware of the consequences, such as tidying up a baby.

Spitting is disgusting and affects other parties.

I mean after she spat on my chest mid sex-act. I don't know about yourself being a mistake.
Reply 45
Original post by A Cat
I mean after she spat on my chest mid sex-act. I don't know about yourself being a mistake.

Grow up.
Reply 46
Grow up.

If by "grow up" you mean "be like you" then hell no.
Reply 47
Original post by A Cat
If by "grow up" you mean "be like you" then hell no.

You're not a proper cat.
Reply 48
I have a memory from when I was a child where I spat on the ground outside, and a girl I was with (whom I didn't know well) demanded of me, "why did you spit?" I replied, "because it's cool." She said, "it's not cool, it's dirty." She was wiser than I was.
Reply 49
Original post by *Boofle*
I've never understood this. I'm talking about ordinary pedestrians, just spitting phlegm or whatever into the street. It seems like every time I walk down a busy pavement I have to watch out for patches of spit.

Spitters, explain yourselves.

It's nicer to spit on the pavement than on someone's clothes, no?
Reply 50
What's so bad about expelling sputum or excess saliva?

The risk of contracting disease such as TB is HIGHLY UNLIKELY as the spit would have to contain the tubercle bacillus and dry out of sunlight, which kills the bacteria. The particle would need to be blown into the air while the sample was still fresh and be inhaled directly into someone's lung. Not to mention the fact that TB is rare.

In places like China and many other countries spitting is a natural process a means of removing phlegm so it's socially acceptable.

You see football players spitting quite a lot during a match and they often roll around in the fields quite aggressively yet no one objects to that... Double standards?

Seems to me there are far worse issues for idle do-gooders to concern (sic) themselves with. If you don't like to see someone spit in the gutter then look the other way
(edited 11 years ago)
It's completely unnecessary and scruffy to spit in the street, you wouldn't do it on your own carpet so why outside in a public place? We all create saliva, so why is it only a minority of people who feel the need to spit wherever and whenever they feel like it, your body is only going to create more where that came from anyway. If you've coughed up some phlegm, get a tissue and put the tissue in the bin when you're done, it's not hard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, thanks to dickheads who spit chewing gum onto the ground until finding a bin - I'd rather them swallow it than spit it on the ground tbh.

It's inconsiderate for the law-abiding, decent citizen who has the freedom to walk on the pavement without being subjected to spitting or dog ****, by bastards who are too thick to clean it up. They really do deserve to be taken out, lined up, and shot repeatedly.

please don't reproduce
Reply 53
Original post by InternetGangster
please don't reproduce

Get stuffed.
Reply 54
Get stuffed.

Why is it socially unacceptable to expel sputum?
It's a natural process and much better to spit it out than swallow phlegm.

In many countries spitting is okay as long as you avoid getting it on people.

I just don't understand this holier-than-thou attitude of many posters in this thread, I can bet you any money you're all some chavs on a pseudo moral hype.

Get real, footballers spit on the field and end up rolling around in their own filth yet no one objects.

I hope I see you one day so I can spit right in front of you just to get your blood boiling.
Reply 55
Original post by Orihime
Why is it socially unacceptable to expel sputum?
It's a natural process and much better to spit it out than swallow phlegm.

In many countries spitting is okay as long as you avoid getting it on people.

I just don't understand this holier-than-thou attitude of many posters in this thread, I can bet you any money you're all some chavs on a pseudo moral hype.

Get real, footballers spit on the field and end up rolling around in their own filth yet no one objects.

I hope I see you one day so I can spit right in front of you just to get your blood boiling.

What if it lands on someone else's shoe?

I don't understand your point about chavs on a "pseudo moral hype" - chavs are often the people who spit.
Reply 56

I don't understand your point about chavs on a "pseudo moral hype" - chavs are often the people who spit.

"What if" is not a reality.
Reply 57

This thread isn't about intentionally spitting at someone or their shoes :rolleyes: it's about spitting casually i.e. on the pavement. It's perfectly fine in my eyes.
Reply 58
One of my friends does this sometimes. I think it's disgusting. If he keeps doing it I tell him to stop.
Reply 59
Original post by Orihime
This thread isn't about intentionally spitting at someone or their shoes :rolleyes: it's about spitting casually i.e. on the pavement. It's perfectly fine in my eyes.

It could be a consequence.

Spitting is usually a sign of disrespect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending