Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought we needed a mothers' day thread, seeing as it is next week, to share gift ideas etc. Me and eeyore are getting our mum a balloon flight, as it is something she's wanted to do for ages. What about you people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    I thought we needed a mothers' day thread, seeing as it is next week, to share gift ideas etc. Me and eeyore are getting our mum a balloon flight, as it is something she's wanted to do for ages. What about you people?
    crap forgotten about it what day is mother's day? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ill just give her a mouthful saying how i know im adopted and i hate her!

ReputationRep:
    Its this sunday isn't it?? I got my mum a block of fairtrade chocolate and some Sylvia Plath poetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    wow!! you're generous! i dont usually get that much for my mum but her birthday is usually the same week so i am usually lacking money to be too generous. i think i'm getting her a dvd or two for her birthday and then it'll be flowers for mothers day methinks. i want to make a cake but we havent an elctric whizzhy thing!! (i know forks and spoons can be used but i find elctric stuff more efficient and fun-and less prone to lead to curdling) perhaps a waffle would be suitable with all that i have waffed here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    wow!! you're generous! i dont usually get that much for my mum but her birthday is usually the same week so i am usually lacking money to be too generous. i think i'm getting her a dvd or two for her birthday and then it'll be flowers for mothers day methinks. i want to make a cake but we havent an elctric whizzhy thing!! (i know forks and spoons can be used but i find elctric stuff more efficient and fun-and less prone to lead to curdling) perhaps a waffle would be suitable with all that i have waffed here!
    hehe, that is so lazy not to make a cake just because you haven't got an electric thingy We don't usually go this extravagent(sp?), it just occured to me a few weeks ago that it would be a great prezzie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    One problem with Mothers' day is its on a sunday, therefore its hard to get hold of some flowers when you wake up in a panic sunday AM realising you've forgotten about it.
    Lol, good job I reminded people then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    hehe, that is so lazy not to make a cake just because you haven't got an electric thingy We don't usually go this extravagent(sp?), it just occured to me a few weeks ago that it would be a great prezzie
    well she's treating herself and my dad to a trip to holland next week so i think she's done the extravagance(sp?1 who knows?!) bit. i feel inclined to invest in a wizzhy thing coz then i can make more scrummy stuff in a flash!!hmmmmmmmmmm...forget mothers day!! (its such a shame my mother wouldn't appreciate such a present!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    One problem with Mothers' day is its on a sunday, therefore its hard to get hold of some flowers when you wake up in a panic sunday AM realising you've forgotten about it.
    i bought 10 mother days cards and 5 plastic flowers last year incase of any emergencies
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    My mum's not too fussed about presents but I always try to remember to call and it's rtadition in our house to spend hours scouring the shops for a card that says mothering sunday and not tacky old mothers day - bought 2 this morning (student union shop - wonderful) and they're not too cheesy looking so one for my mum one for my grandma

Will probably buy mum-in-law some flowers as we will see her....or a nice house plant (she's big on plants)...and we've been planning on treating her to a meal out for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Im going away with my boyfriend for mothers day :P

ReputationRep:
    Mothers Day - 21st March

I'm ignoring mothers day this year. My Mum and Dad both deserve a treat so it's going to be parents day instead! Not sure what to do for them though, might get tickets for a show or somet.

ReputationRep:
    ok my mum's gonna be away for mother's day..... and we already got her some flowers for her b'day a few weeks back. what would you recommend getting her this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    ok my mum's gonna be away for mother's day..... and we already got her some flowers for her b'day a few weeks back. what would you recommend getting her this time?
    You could clean the house from top to bottom while she's away, and cook her a lovely meal for when she gets back.

ReputationRep:
    im gettin her a boquet of flowers and EITHER a mother/daughter chain for each of us with a binding script on the back of the hearts OR a cd of old love songs she wants. tho i think thats more of a hubby prezzy... but she really want it... mmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    You could clean the house from top to bottom while she's away, and cook her a lovely meal for when she gets back.
    LOL that's a pretty good idea actually - she did say she wants us to keep the house clean
    although she'll probably still find traces of dust somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    LOL that's a pretty good idea actually - she did say she wants us to keep the house clean
    although she'll probably still find traces of dust somewhere
    That doesn't matter. As long as it's clean enough for her to notice then she'll know how much effort you've put in.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Amb1)
    That doesn't matter. As long as it's clean enough for her to notice then she'll know how much effort you've put in.
    If you want her to notice clean the windows...inside and out....or if you're feeling really generous clean out the cooker

both crappy jobs that take up a whole afternoon but which are so nice to find done for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    If you want her to notice clean the windows...inside and out....or if you're feeling really generous clean out the cooker

both crappy jobs that take up a whole afternoon but which are so nice to find done for you
    :eek: The effort!!
    Can't I pay a cleaner instead?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daveo)
    :eek: The effort!!
    Can't I pay a cleaner instead?
    If she wont find out then of course you can

(btw I'm the worst one to talk - my windows are filthy and my oven is encrusted....and my I pay my mum-in-law to clean for an hour a week :eek: )

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.