Turn on thread page Beta

serious ideas for a website watch

ReputationRep:
    hey people, i am goign on to do internet computing next year at university so i want to make a website to gain experience.

and i want some ideas on what the content should be, what would attract you guys to go and see it, coz if no one visits, i won't be motivated.

so any ideas? thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    hey people, i am goign on to do internet computing next year at university so i want to make a website to gain experience.

and i want some ideas on what the content should be, what would attract you guys to go and see it, coz if no one visits, i won't be motivated.

a website with lots of various kind of pictures would be interesting

ReputationRep:

here is mine
    http://www.robertson-i.co.uk

www.robertson-i.co.uk

Just put up stuff that interests you basicaly. Also learn HTML and CSS style sheets it will help you no end. Where are you going to be studying it at? I'm doing Multimedia and Internet Technology.

ReputationRep:
    hye thanks, thewolf, thats a good idea.

amazingtrade your website is really cool. i know quite a bit of html but not css sheets. i am going to westminster next year.

ReputationRep:
    hye thanks, thewolf, thats a good idea.

amazingtrade your website is really cool. i know quite a bit of html but not css sheets. i am going to westminster next year.
    Thanks, CSS is a great think to learn because pretty soon all sites will need to be compliant with these new laws. When I get chance I need to put CSS styleseheets on my site.

Do you know any server side languages?

ReputationRep:
    Create an underrground magazine for your school and then just stick stickers up with the URL on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Thanks, CSS is a great think to learn because pretty soon all sites will need to be compliant with these new laws. When I get chance I need to put CSS styleseheets on my site.

Do you know any server side languages?

no i only know html. what is css? what does it stand for?

and definitly dont know wnything about serverside languages oh my god i am scared now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Create an underrground magazine for your school and then just stick stickers up with the URL on
    i dont have a school i am in my gap year

ReputationRep:
    no i only know html. what is css? what does it stand for?
    cascade style sheets. Its used to make page layouts, to make links etc and most importantly to format text. You can do HTML to this but its very unfreindly towards text to voice readers. CSS is so much better and as you can make great looking websites using hardly any graphics. I have only recently just got into CSS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, CSS is a great think to learn because pretty soon all sites will need to be compliant with these new laws.
    Umm, I highly doubt the law will ever require the (correct) use of CSS!! Where did you get that idea from?

ReputationRep:
    cascade style sheets. Its used to make page layouts, to make links etc and most importantly to format text. You can do HTML to this but its very unfreindly towards text to voice readers. CSS is so much better and as you can make great looking websites using hardly any graphics. I have only recently just got into CSS.
    oh right, do you know any place where i can learn? like on the internet, coz i pretty much learn about html and web design on websites.

and what do you use to make your website? i use dreamweaver, is that good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    Umm, I highly doubt the law will ever require the (correct) use of CSS!! Where did you get that idea from?
    There is a new discramination act which has come into force, this means all websites have to accessable by any medium. These means blind people need to access them. By far the best way to this is to use style sheets. And before you say I don't know what I am talking about I work as a CSS coder producing sites simply because of this new law.

Flyby - The W3C website has a very good CSS reference, http://www.w3c.org.

ReputationRep:
    i read that at the moment 80-90% of websites are meant to not be able to be viewed by every user - be it because they have a side bar whihc means the voice readers don't work, or the background/text colours arn't able to be changed for colourblind/dispractsic people

ReputationRep:
    There is a new discramination act which has come into force, this means all websites have to accessable by any medium. These means blind people need to access them. By far the best way to this is to use style sheets. And before you say I don't know what I am talking about I work as a CSS coder producing sites simply because of this new law.

Flyby - The W3C website has a very good CSS reference, http://www.w3c.org.
    ok thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    i read that at the moment 80-90% of websites are meant to not be able to be viewed by every user - be it because they have a side bar whihc means the voice readers don't work, or the background/text colours arn't able to be changed for colourblind/dispractsic people
    Yeah exactly and if its a local government site they can get sued. This where people like me are employed because I know about colour charts, CSS voice reading code etc. Its all quite simple stuff but its somthing that is extremely over looked.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly and if its a local government site they can get sued. This where people like me are employed because I know about colour charts, CSS voice reading code etc. Its all quite simple stuff but its somthing that is extremely over looked.
    how is this law gonna work, cuz it can't cover all websites, cuz it would have to be like an international law wouldn't it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    how is this law gonna work, cuz it can't cover all websites, cuz it would have to be like an international law wouldn't it
    probably just goverments and big organisations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    That's where the WC3 (world wide web consortium) comes in, basically they set the rules of the web, and browser manufacturers have to maintain compliance w/ the rules that are set forth. As newer browser versions come out, they will no longer support plain html so your pages won't display correctly. It will be awhile before this is all put in effect and the browser manufacturers comply, but it's better to learn the correct way of coding now and save yourself some work down the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    That's where the WC3 (world wide web consortium) comes in, basically they set the rules of the web, and browser manufacturers have to maintain compliance w/ the rules that are set forth. As newer browser versions come out, they will no longer support plain html so your pages won't display correctly. It will be awhile before this is all put in effect and the browser manufacturers comply, but it's better to learn the correct way of coding now and save yourself some work down the road.

but that surely can't stop website authors making sites that arn't accessible buy all people, that can't make website authors create websites that allow the text and background colour to be changed??? can it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Browser manufacturers don't have to, the W3C is a standards organisation, it does't have any compulsory element. The whole world would be a lot nicer if they did though.

Amazingtrade, please stop saying "CSS style sheets", Cascading Style Sheets style sheets just sounds really stupid and like you don't know what CSS means, when clearly you should do.

With regards to the original poster, the content should really be something you enjoy and will enjoy maintaining, though it could be anything. Make sure you write in valid xhtml in your sleep though, and indeed do learn CSS. Don't worry too much about server side scripting languages at this stage though!

Alaric.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.