Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Successful Applicants - Personal Statements,Those applying this year may find of use watch

ReputationRep:
    Applied successfully to Oxford to read PPE:

For the past four years I have developed a strong interest in philosophy and politics and greatly enjoyed debates on these topics. Upon studying economics in the sixth form I found it to be a fascinating topic, especially since it complemented many of the political issues I had been interested in, such as the economic problems facing Nazi Germany for much of the inter-war period.
    Politics has been a hobby outside school for the past few years. I have spent much time debating politics with friends and I find myself continually re-evaluating my own views, especially with regards to political theory. I am especially interested in the politics of Germany during the Nazi era. On that particular topic I have found ‘Rise and fall of the Third Reich” by William Shirer to be of particular interest. I find Hitler’s use of effective propaganda, especially with regards to the indoctrination of the Hitler youth truly incredible, as well as how it relates to modern propaganda techniques suggested by Noam Chomsky in Manufacturing Consent.
    During my time doing Economics I have found many aspects of the course that interest me, such as the debate on whether or not Britain should join the Euro, and I personally agree with Gordon Brown that in economic terms, joining the Euro is a bad idea at present, however at the same time I believe that as a political decision, joining the Euro would be beneficial, both to Britain and the rest of Europe. I believe the decision to commit Britain’s control over interest rates to a European body is dangerous at a time when Britain is relatively thriving when compared to Germany, who are trying to struggle out of a recession.
    I believe Philosophy is one of the fundamental components of political theory. Political Philosophy will ask such questions as, “Are certain Political theories better adapted to human nature than others”. This comes down the question of human nature and idea’s such as nature vs. nurture as to whether man’s behaviour is primarily dependent on ones genes, and hence biological ancestry, or is affected throughout ones life by the actions of others around them, especially during childhood when most people are most impressionable.
    My Economics was also furthered by my participation in the Young Enterprise competition. I was Marketing Director and learnt the importance of good communication skills both within the company and to clients. I also took the Young Enterprise exam and managed to attain a Distinction. Within the Perse School I have attained both music and drama colours, the latter being for doing sound for various school drama events.
    I enjoy sports, especially racket sports like squash and badminton. I have a strong love of music, both listening and playing. I have played the drums for 7 years and am presently working towards my Grade 8 drums. I play in the school Wind Band and Swing Band as well in my own band, Xeoro, and I hope that I will be able to further myself during my university years by actively participating in the Musical activities the University has to offer.
    The balance of schoolwork, musical activities and keeping a social life while still keeping time to pursue other hobbies has meant that I learnt to cope with a busy lifestyle. I believe this will help me cope with the hard work needed to succeed in university life and that in doing this course I can combine and further enhance my interests in Politics, Philosophy and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Other successful applicants post your personal statement.

This thread is just an idea to help out those needing to write a personal statement of their own for this year

ReputationRep:
    Tom - I am trying to build up a collection on my site here http://www.studential.com/bio/pss.asp - Possibly you could sign up and add yours and your other details. If any other members want to help out those applying next year by donating thier statements i would be very greatful.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Tom - I am trying to build up a collection on my site here http://www.studential.com/bio/pss.asp - Possibly you could sign up and add yours and your other details. If any other members want to help out those applying next year by donating thier statements i would be very greatful.

Tom
    i think this was my final draft. i signed up at http://www.studential.com/bio/pss.asp under the same username (deary_ma_leary) but couldnt find out to put my PS up there. anyhoo. i applied for 6 courses in english variations (eng lit; enligsh lang/li; eng and creative arts). dearyxxx

Ever since I have had the ability to understand it, I have been fascinated by the English language. As a child, I would either be writing, reading or telling stories and ever sine then, have read a wide variety of both fiction and non-fiction texts from a variety of genres and eras.

This passion for language has led me to many different extra-curricular activities. For the past four years, I have attended a Youth Theatre each week where we concentrate very much on both improvised and scripted drama but also have done work on stage management, stage make-up, singing, and signed singing (an interest which begun with my learning of both violin and double bass to grade 4 standard).
    With this same organisation, I have volunteered for the past three years at one of the children’s groups where I work helping with drama, music and art. It was with this same organisation that I decided to learn Sign Language.

I have recently gained my British Sign Language Level 1 certificate and am now beginning a Level 2 course. I began learning Sign Language at the same time as starting my A-Level in English Language and Literature, a course I have found extremely interesting. Taking these two courses concurrently was very exciting for me as learning more about the linguistics of the English Language enabled me to make comparisons between the two languages.
    These interests have led me to this course which I not only feel suits my needs and interests aptly, but also excites me in its course content. Although I’ve enjoyed all of my A-Level English Language and Literature course but have found a few parts of it particularly interesting. I specifically enjoyed our coursework tasks for our AS Level as it included writing a piece of original fiction, an aspect of English which I have always enjoyed. I also enjoyed the task of performing a monologue as I have missed not being able to study drama as a subject.

I try to follow my interests outside of school and so attend a wide variety of theatre productions, art exhibitions, musical performances and subject related lectures. When studying psychology last year, I attended a large psychology conference with a variety of speakers which was both helpful and interesting. Last year I also attended an ‘art master class’ organised with Middlesex University and with nine other students, it gave more opportunity for more detailed and involved discussions. I have not yet had the opportunity to attend an English related lecture but look forward to a study day in March which will aid me with my study of Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra.
    Alongside this and my voluntary work with the drama organisation, I have worked in a variety of jobs which have all helped to develop my sense of responsibility as they were dependent on both teamwork and co-operation but also my use of initiative.

I have chosen to defer my entry to 2005 as I plan to complete a voluntary teaching placement in Africa. The prospect of this placement excites me as it will give me the opportunity to travel, to meet new people, to experience new cultures, and, above all, help out where much help is needed. I feel that taking a gap year is going to benefit me greatly as it will enable me to gain valuable life skills that will benefit me both at university but also in whatever I choose to do following university whether it be a postgraduate course or work.

ReputationRep:
    if you log in to Your studential

under Profile related function (beta)
    Edit your degree choices
    Edit your UCAS choices
    Edit your personal statement
    Edit your A-level grades
    Edit your GCSE grades

That should do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)

Tom

studential is a great site! Have only recently found it and love it, you must be proud lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    studential is a great site! Have only recently found it and love it, you must be proud lol.
    I am - it's my baby I haven't done much no it recently but am on holiday now so will try and get it updated a bit.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.