The Student Room Group

Picking subjects for 6th year. HELP!

i have to pick my subjects this week for 6th year. This year i am sitting higher maths, english, computing, history and biology. The only subject i'm 100% on that i want to pick is AH history and maybe crash higher modern studies cause after school i want to study history and psychology.

can anyone give me advice on what else to pick i have to pick the minimum of 4 highers or 2 AH and 1 higher
Original post by colourwave
i have to pick my subjects this week for 6th year. This year i am sitting higher maths, english, computing, history and biology. The only subject i'm 100% on that i want to pick is AH history and maybe crash higher modern studies cause after school i want to study history and psychology.

can anyone give me advice on what else to pick i have to pick the minimum of 4 highers or 2 AH and 1 higher

Based upon what your planning on doing after School, I'd recommend AH History and H Modern Studies. Now, you have the choice of 1AH, or 2 Highers.

What about AH English? It would help develop your essay writing skills which you'll need at university.

Otherwise, I'd recommend more social subjects and maybe a language. So Higher R.M.P.S, Philosophy, Geography, Sociology, Psychology, French, German, Italian, Spanish etc (there are more, but not all will be available to you)

Also, if you like Computing what about Information Systems? My friend picked it up this year after getting an A in computing and he says its extremely easy, so if you're good at Computing, it could be a fairly relaxing subject?

On the whole though, it doesn't matter what you take. Just do what you would enjoy :smile:
Reply 2
If you want to do psychology after school and your school don't offer it, why don't you try and get a college course. Because you might find out that you don't like psychology and then are stuck in the degree (unless you drop it)
Reply 3
Original post by nerd434
Fairly early to be picking your subjects, is it not? I can remember it being around April when we picked ours!

I pick mines after the prelims, I don't even have any idea what I want to do next year. And my school is quite small so it doesn't offer a wide variety, it just offers the norms which are rubbish choices :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by TheFOMaster
Based upon what your planning on doing after School, I'd recommend AH History and H Modern Studies. Now, you have the choice of 1AH, or 2 Highers.

What about AH English? It would help develop your essay writing skills which you'll need at university.

Otherwise, I'd recommend more social subjects and maybe a language. So Higher R.M.P.S, Philosophy, Geography, Sociology, Psychology, French, German, Italian, Spanish etc (there are more, but not all will be available to you)

Also, if you like Computing what about Information Systems? My friend picked it up this year after getting an A in computing and he says its extremely easy, so if you're good at Computing, it could be a fairly relaxing subject?

On the whole though, it doesn't matter what you take. Just do what you would enjoy :smile:

I generally agree with this but I would be a bit wary of the part which I emboldened: taking up IS after Computing. The reason being is that, I would think that some universities might not accept both as they're very similar(?). I'm honestly not too sure on it though. :smile:

If anyone knows better/differently, feel free to correct me. :fluffy:
(edited 11 years ago)
As previously mentioned, higher RMPS would probably be a good idea if you plan on doing psychology - I did it, and my teacher was recommending it for people planning on doing said degree.

But, that said, I would recommend you choose a subject or two you'll find easy (-ish) so you're not too stressed out and can give more to each subject. Only you'll know what you find easy though, obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending