The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Maths, Computing, JMC and general questions!

Scroll to see replies

Copy and pasting to ask about my chances of an interview because they interview the top third and I'm not sure if I'd even belong to the top third.
Applying for Maths and Computer Science. GCSEs: 4A* 6A (pretty below average - didn't try so no excuse plus I go to a top independent school in the top 10 so possibly a big disadvantage there)
FSMQ - A though I'd imagine most people would have it for my course.
AS Levels - Maths - 297/300 Biology - 269/300 Chemistry - 254/300
C1 - 100 C2 - 98 C3 - 100 C4 - 100 M1 - 97 S1 - 87 M2 - 80 (not surprised with M2 because I didn't revise hardly enough)
AEA - Merit, STEP I - 3 (....................)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

I have a lot of worries about getting in because all the applicants for my course on the stalking page have better grades than me. :L I was happy with my AS results to be honest but then again, it's Imperial we're talking about... Would I be likely to get an interview though I'd obviously like to get in.

Other unis I'm applying to: Oxford, UCL, Bristol/Bath and Manchester

I haven't done much programming because I didn't want to do CompSci until about two weeks ago so I'm learning Java now and I'm really enjoying it. Reading some CompSci books as well.

A Levels doing this year - Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 61
Original post by yl95
GCSEs: 4A* 6A (pretty below average - didn't try so no excuse plus I go to a top independent school in the top 10 so possibly a big disadvantage there)

For an Imperial Computing applicant, 4A*s and 6As is probably average however Imperial wouldn't turn you down for an interview based on GCSEs - a strong performance in AS-Levels will always override GCSE performance. Unlike many other universities, Imperial do not care about what type of school you're from so there is no disadvantage there.

Original post by yl95
FSMQ - A though I'd imagine most people would have it for my course.
AS Levels - Maths - 297/300 Biology - 269/300 Chemistry - 254/300
C1 - 100 C2 - 98 C3 - 100 C4 - 100 M1 - 97 S1 - 87 M2 - 80 (not surprised with M2 because I didn't revise hardly enough)
AEA - Merit, STEP I - 3 (....................)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

FSMQ is insignificant in comparison to A-Level Maths so this qualification has little impact on your application. The Computing department do not ask for UMS marks so your weaker performance in Biology and Chemistry do not matter since they're still an A-grade. Your AS Maths UMS is particularly strong it might be worth asking your referee to mention this in your teacher reference. From your maths modules, you have already achieved an A* in A-Level Maths which is impressive and will stand out. A merit in AEA is also very good, especially since you took the exam a year early. Imperial shouldn't pay any attention to your performance in STEP so don't worry about that. Predictions are solid.

Original post by yl95
I have a lot of worries about getting in because all the applicants for my course on the stalking page have better grades than me. :L I was happy with my AS results to be honest but then again, it's Imperial we're talking about... Would I be likely to get an interview though I'd obviously like to get in.

You have top AS grades and predictions so you should get an interview at least. A tip to boost your chances of an offer at Imperial is to put down that you intend to do Step II or Step III in June 2013 (Pending on UCAS form). However, they may include that as part of the offer or if you're lucky they won't but it will almost guarantee an interview.

Original post by yl95
I haven't done much programming because I didn't want to do CompSci until about two weeks ago so I'm learning Java now and I'm really enjoying it. Reading some CompSci books as well.

Imperial generally test your ability in maths at the interview as well as problem-solving skills (the same also applies to Oxbridge and Bristol). However, it is advisable to know what CompSci is about (especially for your personal statement). Having done A-Level Computing, I recommend the CIE A-Level Computing textbook as it was very informative but any introductory computer science book will suffice. Oxford have a reading list which you could check out. I wouldn't recommend learning a programming language for the sake of interviews/personal statement. It can be very time consuming and you will make better use of your time doing A-Level work or maths problems. All CompSci courses teach programming from scratch so no need to get started right now - perhaps wait until after your exams.
Should I apply for JMC with only AS Further Maths:?
Reply 63
Original post by Kolasinac138
Should I apply for JMC with only AS Further Maths:?

You can still apply but at the interview stage you will almost certainly be questioned about this. And you will need to have a good reason of why you can't do further maths - maths is an easy A Level for self study due to the abundance of material. JMC is still a Maths degree, you will be taking courses from the Maths department as a result Further Mathematics is viewed as essential to providing a solid foundation for university maths. If you really can't do further maths, an offer based on AEA or Step II is likely.
Original post by Skynet
You can still apply but at the interview stage you will almost certainly be questioned about this. And you will need to have a good reason of why you can't do further maths - maths is an easy A Level for self study due to the abundance of material. JMC is still a Maths degree, you will be taking courses from the Maths department as a result Further Mathematics is viewed as essential to providing a solid foundation for university maths. If you really can't do further maths, an offer based on AEA or Step II is likely.

Well essentially I do Pre-U levels. I was set on doing Economics at first then I had a major turn in my thoughts and decided I liked Maths Computing Physics etc so I dropped History for Further Maths

A weird thing is - on the offers page all it wants is Mathematics from Pre-U, it doesn't mention Further - which is weird. But I'm not exactly doing "AS" Further but Short Course Further which is essentially FP1 FP2 FP3..

I would basically say I had a change of heart and so that's all I could do - I have an FMSQ in Additional Mathematics and Gold in SMC if it helps...
Well essentially I do Pre-U levels. I was set on doing Economics at first then I had a major turn in my thoughts and decided I liked Maths Computing Physics etc so I dropped History for Further Maths

A weird thing is - on the offers page all it wants is Mathematics from Pre-U, it doesn't mention Further - which is weird. But I'm not exactly doing "AS" Further but Short Course Further which is essentially FP1 FP2 FP3..

I would basically say I had a change of heart and so that's all I could do - I have an FMSQ in Additional Mathematics and Gold in SMC if it helps...

I'm sure Imperial will take that into account, although FSMQ really isn't worth noting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
I'm sure Imperial will take that into account, although FSMQ really isn't worth noting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get into this course? What did you do?
Did you get into this course? What did you do?

Well, I got an offer. I just need to meet it, haha.
What do you mean? I do Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Ah - well, I mean, it's weird, I do Pre-U Maths and Pre-U Further Maths Short Course which is a little different to AS Further Maths but it says the only requirement is Single Maths for Pre-U but Further for A-level. It confuses me!
Original post by yl95
Well, I got an offer. I just need to meet it, haha.
What do you mean? I do Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 69
I have an offer for Computing, but if I get an A* in Further Maths, what are the chances I can switch up to JMC?
Original post by TSR561
I have an offer for Computing, but if I get an A* in Further Maths, what are the chances I can switch up to JMC?

I think I read that you can switch from Computing to JMC in the first few weeks. :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by yl95
I think I read that you can switch from Computing to JMC in the first few weeks. :smile:

Really? JMC sounds like my dream course, I just wasn't sure (I'm still not...) if I can get an A* in FM.
Reply 72
Original post by TSR561
Really? JMC sounds like my dream course, I just wasn't sure (I'm still not...) if I can get an A* in FM.

When I had my interview day and if I remember correctly, the admissions tutor said that you cannot change from plain Computing to JMC.

But the FAQ states:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q19: If I apply and am accepted onto a degree, can I change to another degree in your Department?
A: Yes, changing degree programme is normally possible within the JMC and Computing degree programmes during term 1 in year 1. You can also change from JMC to Computing, but rarely vice-versa.

So it might be possible under certain circumstances :smile:.
Reply 73
Original post by Lyko
When I had my interview day and if I remember correctly, the admissions tutor said that you cannot change from plain Computing to JMC.

Interesting. I emailed the admin tutor yesterday and she said it is possible, but mainly down to if there are any free spaces.
Original post by TSR561
Interesting. I emailed the admin tutor yesterday and she said it is possible, but mainly down to if there are any free spaces.

Maybe take STEP I or AEA additionally so that you're in a better position to switch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by yl95
Maybe take STEP I or AEA additionally so that you're in a better position to switch?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea, but if it isn't required for most offer holders doing FM, is there a massive benefit in doing it?
Original post by TSR561
Good idea, but if it isn't required for most offer holders doing FM, is there a massive benefit in doing it?

Providing you get a good grade in either one of them, I think it'd make the transition easier. There's no harm. :smile: Maybe email the admissions team and ask if you'd have a better chance of switching to JMC? Or...really ace your FM and get high 90s.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Lyko

But the FAQ states:

So it might be possible under certain circumstances :smile:.

A switch from Computing -> JMC is definitely possible. I made it, and so did several friends of mine.
It used to be much harder, when JMC was actually ran by the Maths department. Now (as long as they still have places) it's enough to have an A in FM and smile nicely at the admissions tutor.
Reply 78
Original post by freefrag
A switch from Computing -> JMC is definitely possible. I made it, and so did several friends of mine.
It used to be much harder, when JMC was actually ran by the Maths department. Now (as long as they still have places) it's enough to have an A in FM and smile nicely at the admissions tutor.

What made you switch to JMC?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Reply 79
Original post by freefrag

An A in FM? I don't quite believe that, seeing as the standard offer requires A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending