Turn on thread page Beta

Help, do unis not accept general studys as an A2? watch

ReputationRep:
    Help!!!
    Im talking 3 A levels, English Lan, Art and design and general studys, i heard that universities dont accept general studys and i couldnt get in with just 2 A levels, v got my heart set on going to nothumbria university to study fashion marketing!
    please help im very very worried! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz87)
    Help!!!
    Im talking 3 A levels, English Lan, Art and design and general studys, i heard that universities dont accept general studys and i couldnt get in with just 2 A levels, v got my heart set on going to nothumbria university to study fashion marketing!
    Some do, others take it into consideration if you do unexpectedly bad in your exams, but generally, no its not accepted.
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz87)
    Help!!!
    Its not regarded as a lot these days. Often is the case that when looking through prospectuses etc, an offer will be made stating general studies shall not be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of uni's accept it. Some posts are typical of UKL snobbery, but General Studies falls in the same bracket as Business studies and media studies for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Loads of uni's accept it. Some posts are typical of UKL snobbery, but General Studies falls in the same bracket as Business studies and media studies for me.
    thanks u have made me feel a lot better
    thank you jammyd

lol of course uni's accept general studies ( not the top 10 universities or so ) general studies is seen as a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I admit, you won't get into Oxbridge, LSE or Imperial, but Leicester and Birmingham accept it for some subjects, and they are good, highly respected universities.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I admit, you won't get into Oxbridge, LSE or Imperial, but Leicester and Birmingham accept it for some subjects, and they are good, highly respected universities.
    Ive always been told most unis dont accept it....?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! What's wrong with business studies? You don't get questions like "What is cool?" in a business studies paper, unlike general studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    Ive always been told most unis dont accept it....?
    I'd say approximately 1/3 wouldn't accept it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Hey! What's wrong with business studies? You don't get questions like "What is cool?" in a business studies paper, unlike general studies.
    They're both 'studies'. I never saw a 'what is cool?' question - don't be silly.

ReputationRep:
    They're both 'studies'. I never saw a 'what is cool?' question - don't be silly.
    Have you actually done business studies?

for my AS levels i got an A in chemistry, B in physics, B in computing and a C in maths

i dropped maths and picked up AS business and the first module i got a U in it ..... pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa12)
    for my AS levels i got an A in chemistry, B in physics, B in computing and a C in maths

i dropped maths and picked up AS business and the first module i got a U in it ..... pathetic.
    So therefore I assume you don't regard business as 'mickey mouse'?

ReputationRep:
    I know Leeds accepts general studies, but quite a few places don't. I think its getting a bit more credibity now, back in the days of the old style A-levels it was a joke, predominantly multiple choice on some of the most bizarre topics you'll ever meet! It got me my place at uni though!

(Original post by Bhaal85)
    So therefore I assume you don't regard business as 'mickey mouse'?
    lol i think it's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    One of my AS General Studies papers in 2002 asked you to define cool, then went on to ask whether coolness was something you could work to get.

Why does adding "studies" to the end of a subject automatically make it inferior in some way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    One of my AS General Studies papers in 2002 asked you to define cool, then went on to ask whether coolness was something you could work to get.

Why does adding "studies" to the end of a subject automatically make it inferior in some way?
    We obviously had a different exam board. We didn't have anything like that.

I didn't suggest it was inferior, you did. All I said that was I class general studies on a par with Media studies and business studies.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, you didn't. But General Studies is quite often derided, and Media Studies regularly mocked for being "Mickey Mouse". I worked hard for my Business and Economics A Level so I felt protective of it!

ReputationRep:
    Did you study 'business studies'? My point is that general studies has the piss taken out of it, but you do actually need a brain to get an A or B.

I realise that General Studies is quite basic, but I needed to look at politics, philosophy, statistics, history, and have quite good general knowledge

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.