apple1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is anyone else taking this exam tomorrow? Any predictions?

Also, on another note, looking at the syllabus does anyone have any ideas for distinct similarities/contrasts between midterm years and 'presidential' year congressional elections?
Or possible replacements for the presidential candidate nominating system? as i have no notes on these and cannot find anything in my textbook!
Cooke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by apple1)
Is anyone else taking this exam tomorrow? Any predictions?

Also, on another note, looking at the syllabus does anyone have any ideas for distinct similarities/contrasts between midterm years and 'presidential' year congressional elections?
Or possible replacements for the presidential candidate nominating system? as i have no notes on these and cannot find anything in my textbook!
How did you find it? what questions did you do and what did you put? I thought it was a fairly hard exam
jheywood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't find it too bad but it wasn't easy. for the 45 marker i did how influential are pressure groups, then for the 15 i did: how do pressure groups influence the senate, why are black voters loyal to the democratic party and do party conventions play a meaningful role. what about you
Username123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I made a massive mistake and just realised that I misread one of the 15 markers and answered it as why do pressure groups influence the Supreme Court, not the Senate >.< Would I still be able to score any marks at all for having done this?
jheywood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is still possible to an extent to get some marks but that mainly depends on how you answered it, the main trouble would be the How do they since it is very different. but why is also very different except to do with blocking or making law unconstitutional, I guess it could cross there. But once again it depends on how you wrote it. which other questions did you do
Username123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I also did the one on the loyalty of black voters to the Democrats, as well as the question asking to explain the issues that have created divisions between the Republicans and Democrats before 2008. For the 45 marker I answered the pressure groups one, which I imagine most people sitting the exam had done :P
jheywood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What was the one to do with Democrats and Republicans i don't remember reading that one
Username123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The question was along the lines of "Explain the issues and causes that have created deep division between both major parties before 2008" not sure if that was the exact wording
jheywood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow would have so done that but i don't remember reading it
Username123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It was the first question of the 15 markers, theres so much to talk about on that question hence why I did it (i.e. abortion laws, gun control etc.)
jheywood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know also: Iraq, economy and the death penalty. Wish i had seen that question
Cooke
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did the pressure group 45 marker- It was fairly difficult. The 15 markers were decent, I did the black voters, influence on the senate and the issues dividing the parties. For the issues dividing them, I put immigration reform dream act etc., obamacare and the newtown shootings last month and how the republicans are against gun reform.
Cooke
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Username123)
I made a massive mistake and just realised that I misread one of the 15 markers and answered it as why do pressure groups influence the Supreme Court, not the Senate >.< Would I still be able to score any marks at all for having done this?
I made the exact same mistake in my mock. Sorry to say but it is very difficult to see how you will get even a few marks.
Cooke
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What did everyone put for the 45 mark question on the pressure groups and their influence?
jheywood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cooke)
What did everyone put for the 45 mark question on the pressure groups and their influence?
I put about,, how they influence, revolving door and its restrictions, iron trangles, campaign finance reform, propositions and referendums. You?
hurricane95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found the paper was very nice, the 15 markers could not have been better! Chose, the influence on the Senate, Divisions between parties and the National Convention questions. I too did the pressure group 45 maker, although i know it is a lot harder than perceived, i think i have done fairly well!

For the 45 marker i wrote about Lobbying - Iron Triangle - Restrictions, Funding - Restrictions, Voter Mobilisation, Supreme Court Nominations (Harriet Miers), Test Cases, Propositions/Initiatives, Direct Action and then quite a bit of Synopticity i.e Elitism v Pluralism then my own conclusion
username1056419
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
15 markers were a doddle, did the Republican/Democrat division, Pressure groups and senate, and the black/democrat one.

45 markers really annoyed me. I had all my fingers and toes crossed for a nice 'has affirmative action' worked, or failing that an electoral college one. Resorted to doing the pressure group one, which I think I did capably if not exceptionally (struggled with synoptics for pressure groups, managed a couple of comparisons with the UK and littered it with theorists' quotes). I just hope I got enough marks on the three 15 markers and the grade boundaries are low enough (one year: 49 for an A* equivalent, generally around mid 60s) for me to get a decent result, otherwise my statement of results for these modules is gonna look awful (messed up chemistry, big time, and general studies wasn't great).

Roll on March.
Dogs Eating Dogs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Username123)
The question was along the lines of "Explain the issues and causes that have created deep division between both major parties before 2008" not sure if that was the exact wording
Wasn't it AFTER 2008? :confused: That's how I read it! Omg I really hope it was because that would be such a stupid mistake, aaahhh!
hurricane95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I read as AFTER 2008!? Ahh

Posted from TSR Mobile
jheywood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am pretty sure, and I have a very good memory, that it was after 2008 as I was talking to my teacher about what Obama had done. However don't quote me on that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads